Wiki Posts
Search

Fee to Empty Mini Bar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by beckoa
How much was that bill!?
Potential spoiler (but I imagine most of FT has seen it by now) so highlight this line to view, but IIRC, four years .
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
We had all of our sandwiches removed and placed on the dresser to spoil in one of the Parisian Meridien hotels. They left us a message in English which told us that outside food or drink is expressly prohibited in the minibar.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:52 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by 4getofn
Pay the $10 and call it a day !!!
Agree. I've also had success requesting an additional (empty) mini-refrigerator at certain properties. YMMV.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by icydog
We had all of our sandwiches removed and placed on the dresser to spoil in one of the Parisian Meridien hotels. They left us a message in English which told us that outside food or drink is expressly prohibited in the minibar.
Good to know it happened to you and not me. Will use this anecdote to remind myself never to stay at meridian hotels....
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Not usual, but hardly unusual. Don't forget that many high-end places expressly prohibit you from bringing outside food onto the property and also prohibit the storage of outside items in their fridges.
I have never, not a single time EVER, encountered that. Where have you heard that?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Happened to me in the Vegas Cosmopolitan. I had asked and they removed it never telling me there would be a charge. When I saw my bill, I asked and mentioned I was never told or I would not have had it done. I guess due to status they waived it that one time.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:15 pm

I faced this in the Le Grand Intercontinental Paris where I was told it would cost 25 Euro to empty the minibar. Actually I find it weird and unfair to be charged not to use something in the room.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by sumayya
I faced this in the Le Grand Intercontinental Paris where I was told it would cost 25 Euro to empty the minibar. Actually I find it weird and unfair to be charged not to use something in the room.
Whenever a guest requests something out-of-the-ordinary, I see nothing wrong with a hotel assessing a fee to fulfill that request. That is, of course, provided the hotel discloses that fee before the request is fulfilled.

Try looking at this from the hotel perspective. A minibar doesn't empty itself. The process requires an employee to stop doing his/her regular job, go to your room, catalogue and empty the contents, and store those items somewhere. After you leave, that process has to happen again. That's a fairly labor-intensive process.

You're not being charged "not to use something"; you're being charged the labor costs associated with the request.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
A minibar doesn't empty itself. The process requires an employee to stop doing his/her regular job, go to your room, catalogue and empty the contents, and store those items somewhere. After you leave, that process has to happen again. That's a fairly labor-intensive process.

You're not being charged "not to use something"; you're being charged the labor costs associated with the request.
+1.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:19 pm

The first time I ever encountered one of these electronic counting minibars was when I went to check out and had an astronomical bill from removing said items from fridge (multiple times) in order to put my items in. They reversed the charges.

I think asking for an additional refrigerator to store your medication and pizza in is a reasonable request. When booking a room if the expectation is that there is a refrigerator then you shouldn't be charged to "make it so". Personally I'd prefer to have an additional fridge brought in and pay $10.00 then to pay $10.00 to work around their empty mini-bar set-up.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sumayya
there is no charge not to use the mini-bar...simply leave the items exactly where they are in the mini-bar and no charge will charged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.