Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fee to Empty Mini Bar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Fee to Empty Mini Bar

Staying at the Los Suenos Marriott in Costa Rica next and I inquired if there were mini refrigerators in the rooms to keep stuff for the kids. I received the following response:
"About the refrigerator; we have mini bars at all the hotel rooms full of groceries, in case that you want to have it empty there will be one charge for $10 per stay per room; if you would like to find it empty at your arrival please let me know in order to ask housekeeping to take care of this."

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Is this standard policy? Not a big deal just curious.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Never heard of that... wonder what would happen if you emptied it out yourself and put everything non-perishable in a bag next to the fridge and put your stuff in it instead.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I'm guessing they'd rather you bought stuff from the mini bar fridge, rather than bringing your own goodies and this is a "nuisance" fee?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
common in Vegas. $25 or so at the Cosmopolitan.

I prefer this method:

I call the front desk and tell them I plan to remove all items and store them all over the room, and let them know to ignore the sensor(s) in the mini-bar. This passive-agressive technique usually results in them waiving the fee and emptying the fridge themselves.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not usual, but hardly unusual. Don't forget that many high-end places expressly prohibit you from bringing outside food onto the property and also prohibit the storage of outside items in their fridges.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Pay the $10 and call it a day !!!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DCNatFan
Staying at the Los Suenos Marriott in Costa Rica next and I inquired if there were mini refrigerators in the rooms to keep stuff for the kids. I received the following response:
"About the refrigerator; we have mini bars at all the hotel rooms full of groceries, in case that you want to have it empty there will be one charge for $10 per stay per room; if you would like to find it empty at your arrival please let me know in order to ask housekeeping to take care of this."

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Is this standard policy? Not a big deal just curious.
it's not uncommon and IMO I don't believe it's unreasonable
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mindrisa
Never heard of that... wonder what would happen if you emptied it out yourself and put everything non-perishable in a bag next to the fridge and put your stuff in it instead.
mini-bars today are electronic...if you removed the items I'd be willing to guess the items would be charged to your guest folio...naturally they'd remove the charges once they were returned but I can see this being a big headache
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I'm guessing they'd rather you bought stuff from the mini bar fridge, rather than bringing your own goodies and this is a "nuisance" fee?
it's actually just a charge to cover their costs of removing the items and returning them to the supply closets...everything has to be properly accounted for etc
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Not usual, but hardly unusual. Don't forget that many high-end places expressly prohibit you from bringing outside food onto the property and also prohibit the storage of outside items in their fridges.
while it's written at times I've never known a hotel to prevent a guest from bringing outside food in (except for banquets...those hot plates and crockpots do cause the local fire marshals to get a little hot under the collar)
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Several international Hilton hotels have $25 removal policy (Barcelona Mar comes to mind). If I am traveling with my 86 year old mother I tell them that she needs the space for her medication and they have always waived the fee with no problem. If any of your children or your spouse "needs" the space for medication you may want to speak with management.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Utterly unrelated, but this thread reminds me of that scene from the movie "Flight" for some reason:

Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen it before for a $20 fee but never did it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:06 pm

I was able to shuffle stuff around in the fridge at the Los Suenos Marriott to store a few of my drinks in there. Also, we had no trouble bringing a pizza back into the room even though I saw verbiage about no outside food allowed...that was 4 years ago, so YMMV. Never saw any charges on my room for the mini bar either.

However, we spent way too much on food and alcohol from the bar as it rained all week and my wife and I were holed up during most of our honeymoon, so maybe they made some exceptions.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Utterly unrelated, but this thread reminds me of that scene from the movie "Flight" for some reason:

How much was that bill!?

And that's what I thought the OP meant at first- how much to clear out the minibar . Volume discount?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.