Fee to Empty Mini Bar

 
Old Apr 9, 14, 12:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Fee to Empty Mini Bar

Staying at the Los Suenos Marriott in Costa Rica next and I inquired if there were mini refrigerators in the rooms to keep stuff for the kids. I received the following response:
"About the refrigerator; we have mini bars at all the hotel rooms full of groceries, in case that you want to have it empty there will be one charge for $10 per stay per room; if you would like to find it empty at your arrival please let me know in order to ask housekeeping to take care of this."

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Is this standard policy? Not a big deal just curious.
DCNatFan is offline  
Old Apr 9, 14, 1:04 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier; UA Platinum Premier; Hertz Presidents Club
Posts: 426
Never heard of that... wonder what would happen if you emptied it out yourself and put everything non-perishable in a bag next to the fridge and put your stuff in it instead.
mindrisa is offline  
Old Apr 9, 14, 1:07 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Posts: 2,195
I'm guessing they'd rather you bought stuff from the mini bar fridge, rather than bringing your own goodies and this is a "nuisance" fee?
fliesdelta is offline  
Old Apr 9, 14, 2:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest USA
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Posts: 1,619
common in Vegas. $25 or so at the Cosmopolitan.

I prefer this method:

I call the front desk and tell them I plan to remove all items and store them all over the room, and let them know to ignore the sensor(s) in the mini-bar. This passive-agressive technique usually results in them waiving the fee and emptying the fridge themselves.
nachosdelux is offline  
Old Apr 9, 14, 3:28 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,687
Not usual, but hardly unusual. Don't forget that many high-end places expressly prohibit you from bringing outside food onto the property and also prohibit the storage of outside items in their fridges.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 14, 3:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Posts: 230
Pay the $10 and call it a day !!!
4getofn is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 7:16 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by DCNatFan View Post
Staying at the Los Suenos Marriott in Costa Rica next and I inquired if there were mini refrigerators in the rooms to keep stuff for the kids. I received the following response:
"About the refrigerator; we have mini bars at all the hotel rooms full of groceries, in case that you want to have it empty there will be one charge for $10 per stay per room; if you would like to find it empty at your arrival please let me know in order to ask housekeeping to take care of this."

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Is this standard policy? Not a big deal just curious.
it's not uncommon and IMO I don't believe it's unreasonable
socrates is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 7:18 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by mindrisa View Post
Never heard of that... wonder what would happen if you emptied it out yourself and put everything non-perishable in a bag next to the fridge and put your stuff in it instead.
mini-bars today are electronic...if you removed the items I'd be willing to guess the items would be charged to your guest folio...naturally they'd remove the charges once they were returned but I can see this being a big headache
socrates is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 7:19 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
I'm guessing they'd rather you bought stuff from the mini bar fridge, rather than bringing your own goodies and this is a "nuisance" fee?
it's actually just a charge to cover their costs of removing the items and returning them to the supply closets...everything has to be properly accounted for etc
socrates is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 7:21 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Not usual, but hardly unusual. Don't forget that many high-end places expressly prohibit you from bringing outside food onto the property and also prohibit the storage of outside items in their fridges.
while it's written at times I've never known a hotel to prevent a guest from bringing outside food in (except for banquets...those hot plates and crockpots do cause the local fire marshals to get a little hot under the collar)
socrates is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 9:07 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ USA
Programs: AA EXEC PLT 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXPL, Accor SLV, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD
Posts: 756
Several international Hilton hotels have $25 removal policy (Barcelona Mar comes to mind). If I am traveling with my 86 year old mother I tell them that she needs the space for her medication and they have always waived the fee with no problem. If any of your children or your spouse "needs" the space for medication you may want to speak with management.
fmkgb is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 1:14 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Posts: 4,035
Utterly unrelated, but this thread reminds me of that scene from the movie "Flight" for some reason:



kennycrudup is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 2:58 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,408
I've seen it before for a $20 fee but never did it.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 10, 14, 3:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,143
I was able to shuffle stuff around in the fridge at the Los Suenos Marriott to store a few of my drinks in there. Also, we had no trouble bringing a pizza back into the room even though I saw verbiage about no outside food allowed...that was 4 years ago, so YMMV. Never saw any charges on my room for the mini bar either.

However, we spent way too much on food and alcohol from the bar as it rained all week and my wife and I were holed up during most of our honeymoon, so maybe they made some exceptions.
bmrisko is offline  
Old Apr 12, 14, 2:46 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,784
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Utterly unrelated, but this thread reminds me of that scene from the movie "Flight" for some reason:



How much was that bill!?

And that's what I thought the OP meant at first- how much to clear out the minibar . Volume discount?
beckoa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: