Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ohmark
Have current reservation (for late summer) at downtown property and just wanted to understand your reasoning (as to whether I should reconsider). Have 3 days in Barcelona post-cruise. Just checked the Fira rates, which are 10,000 points or 55E less per day. But, as I understand it, the downtown property is in the thick of things, while the attractive Fira is a suburban property requiring transit downtown. I guess the issue is whether it's worth (to me) the extra cost to stay downtown. Hmmm. (a few years ago, stayed in Venice at the Molino Stuckey Hilton, which has a gorgeous rooftop pool with a view over Venice. But then we ended up so busy around Venice, we didn't, alas, use the pool.)
The other thing to consider is whether lounge access is important to you. Downtown doesn't have a lounge, so you will get breakfast. But nothing in the evening whereas Fira does have a lounge. Again, it may not matter. I'm just throwing it out there.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:46 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The other thing to consider is whether lounge access is important to you. Downtown doesn't have a lounge, so you will get breakfast. But nothing in the evening whereas Fira does have a lounge. Again, it may not matter. I'm just throwing it out there.

Cheers.
Unless things have changed in the last 6 months since I stayed, the Barcelona Renaissance Fira does NOT have a lounge.

As far as I know neither of the Rens in Barcelona have a lounge, but the RC does have a Gold/Plat afternoon lounge, serving snacks and soft drinks only.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Unless things have changed in the last 6 months since I stayed, the Barcelona Renaissance Fira does NOT have a lounge.

As far as I know neither of the Rens in Barcelona have a lounge, but the RC does have a Gold/Plat afternoon lounge, serving snacks and soft drinks only.
You're right. I was thinking of different city. My bad.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ohmark
Have current reservation (for late summer) at downtown property and just wanted to understand your reasoning (as to whether I should reconsider). Have 3 days in Barcelona post-cruise. Just checked the Fira rates, which are 10,000 points or 55E less per day. But, as I understand it, the downtown property is in the thick of things, while the attractive Fira is a suburban property requiring transit downtown. I guess the issue is whether it's worth (to me) the extra cost to stay downtown. Hmmm. (a few years ago, stayed in Venice at the Molino Stuckey Hilton, which has a gorgeous rooftop pool with a view over Venice. But then we ended up so busy around Venice, we didn't, alas, use the pool.)
Makes sense... Definitely on a short stay or maybe even a long-ish one-room stay, I'd be more willing to pony up a bit extra to be downtown. But on these 7 days, with maybe 3-4 of them in central Barcelona and 3-4 daytrips elsewhere, the suburban location isn't too bad.

And FWIW, lack of a lounge isn't a huge deal...*if*...as is suggested here, a booking for two rooms (one a confirmed premium room with 3 in the reservation) would allow 3 adult and 2 child breakfasts.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, M&M
Originally Posted by pinniped
Makes sense... Definitely on a short stay or maybe even a long-ish one-room stay, I'd be more willing to pony up a bit extra to be downtown. But on these 7 days, with maybe 3-4 of them in central Barcelona and 3-4 daytrips elsewhere, the suburban location isn't too bad.

And FWIW, lack of a lounge isn't a huge deal...*if*...as is suggested here, a booking for two rooms (one a confirmed premium room with 3 in the reservation) would allow 3 adult and 2 child breakfasts.
The other good thing about Renaissance Barcelona Fira is tehre's plenty of free parking spaces around hotel and hotel itself sits next major communication road. So if you rent a car for some day trips around city you do not have to worry for traffic, parking spaces avaliability or cost of parking. Maybe not big deal but very usefull if you got a car.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jaco027
The other good thing about Renaissance Barcelona Fira is tehre's plenty of free parking spaces around hotel and hotel itself sits next major communication road. So if you rent a car for some day trips around city you do not have to worry for traffic, parking spaces avaliability or cost of parking. Maybe not big deal but very usefull if you got a car.
Some questions: Is the free parking you mention provided in a hotel lot, or do you mean free street parking? How feasible/easy is parking downtown and around tourist areas? How easy/difficult is driving in/around Barcelona?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I don't recall a hotel lot, but there is plenty of on-street parking around the hotel. I have driven in Barcelona and found it challenging but not impossible. Parking near the main tourist sites is impossible.

Bruce
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaco027
Good to know... Are you aware of a rental agency either in or within walking distance of the hotel?

Definitely could see a couple of car-enabled daytrips. Plus perhaps a couple daytrips where we take a train out of the city. Just depends on which is more convenient. I've driven in a few other major European cities...as long as the locals aren't totally psychotic drivers I think I'll be okay.

One of the package rates I noticed online included free parking at the hotel. But it sounds like it's not worth paying a lot extra for this, even if I need to keep a car overnight once or twice.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
The Barcelona Fira Ren is an excellent hotel. I stayed there are a gold, me and missus in one room, the 3 kids in the other. We all got free breakfasts for the duration of our stays. The rooftop pool and bar are great. It's easy, and cheap to reach Barcelona central area by the regular subway. We stayed for 5 nights going into Barcelona daily on the subway from the Europa stop and found it no problem. Make no mistake, there are many more central hotels, but like any big city, you'll need to use the subway to get to all the attractions, and the Ren is way cheaper than any comparable city centre alternative! I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Barcelona, it's such great value.
Oh, a couple more questions...one of 'em primarily for you, Bob, since you did an almost identical type of stay to us.

- We have 3 adults and 2 children. When I phoned to book the Travel Package, the agent said there would be no problem fitting into two standard rooms: in fact, she asked "How many adults?" as opposed to "How many guests?" However, Marriott's website just has a box for "Guests", not adults and kids like some other brands do. Right now I'm holding the award reservation (standard two-twin reservation) plus a Premium room (1 King, but larger and with a listed max capacity of 3 adults). The kids are little...they're used to sleeping bags, cots, pull-out sofas, etc. But I'm wondering if it's actually necessary to hold 1 Premium room reservation, or could I get away with 2 standard rooms. While I would never want to cram 3 people into a room that has a very good reason to be max-2 (as you find often in Europe), I'm wondering if this newer building has ample-sized rooms...and front desk clerks who don't care if there's a 7-year-old kid sleeping on the floor. Don't want a visit from the fire marshal either...

It sounds like you stayed in two side-by-side rooms and were given 5 breakfasts each day...

- On the paid room, I booked it as two reservations: a one-nighter that is a package rate that includes a bunch of welcome amenities - dinner, breakfast, wine, strawberries, etc. The other six nights are a basic AAA rate. My only concern is that in the fine print of the one-nighter, they describe the rate as the "New Year's Eve" rate. It's available in July...and probably every other night of the year for all I know. Anyone else seen and/or booked this rate for something other than December 31st? It's just in the description: the actual rate rules allowed me to book and confirm it with a normal 24-hour cancel. I assume I'd need to consume the dinner on Night 1 - during the "New Year's" stay - but it didn't make sense to book this rate for 7 nights as it looks like you get all of the amenities exactly one time per stay. Nor do I necessarily want to eat dinner at the hotel more than maybe our arrival night when we are jetlagged.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely could see a couple of car-enabled daytrips. Plus perhaps a couple daytrips where we take a train out of the city.
We did Montserrat with our kids and if I recall correctly you can buy a package ticket at the train station that includes the train from Barcelona to the base of the mountain, the cog train up and the cable car down (or vice versa). Nice hiking at the top.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:54 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Oh, a couple more questions...one of 'em primarily for you, Bob, since you did an almost identical type of stay to us.

- We have 3 adults and 2 children. When I phoned to book the Travel Package, the agent said there would be no problem fitting into two standard rooms: in fact, she asked "How many adults?" as opposed to "How many guests?" However, Marriott's website just has a box for "Guests", not adults and kids like some other brands do. Right now I'm holding the award reservation (standard two-twin reservation) plus a Premium room (1 King, but larger and with a listed max capacity of 3 adults). The kids are little...they're used to sleeping bags, cots, pull-out sofas, etc. But I'm wondering if it's actually necessary to hold 1 Premium room reservation, or could I get away with 2 standard rooms. While I would never want to cram 3 people into a room that has a very good reason to be max-2 (as you find often in Europe), I'm wondering if this newer building has ample-sized rooms...and front desk clerks who don't care if there's a 7-year-old kid sleeping on the floor. Don't want a visit from the fire marshal either...

It sounds like you stayed in two side-by-side rooms and were given 5 breakfasts each day.
I've been there twice, once gold and other as plat, and both rooms have been upgraded both times. The kids room was one of their "junior suites" being a corner room with a wonderful panoramic window, less as suite though, more just a large twin. I can't speak for the standard rooms as although I've booked them ive never stayed in one, but the superior and premium rooms can sleep 3, and both are a good size.

This place does treat elites very well, and it works for both them and us, we've bagged another cheapo flight to Barcelona and yet again the Ren Fira will be our hotel for the stay.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Hi,
I stayed at this property last month and thought I would share a little bit about my stay. I used points for 5 nights (4 nights + 1 free).

This is a modern Renaissance property. Kind of refreshing compared to most of the mainstream Marriotts.

As a Platinum, I was told I received a double upgrade to a Premier room. This was basically a larger room with a tub instead of just a shower. I was told the tub was what made it premier. Everything was completely white in the room which was fine. I really liked the windows in the shape of leaves with remote control electric shades to adjust the blinds. I was also provided with breakfast in the restaurant which was open until about 11.

I found it odd that there weren't wine bottle openers in the room. Not a big deal but had to call someone or take a bottle to the lobby to get it opened.

As far as location goes, it was a great location. There is a mall just a 5 minute walk away. You can pretty much take any bus right outside the hotel to get to Plaza de Espana, among other locations. You can also catch bus 46 right in front of the hotel to get to the airport (< 10 minute ride). The bus is ~2.15 EUD if you don't have a metro/bus pass. I would strongly recommend getting a metro pass for 10 rides for about ~10 EUD. This pass is good for the metro as well as buses including the bus that takes you to the airport!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

Great to know about the airport buses... Is the Metro also convenient to the property? I was under the impression that it was somewhat close...short(-ish) walk...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:17 pm

Since there is no Executive / Concierge Lounge, do Gold Elite members get a complimentary breakfast at a restaurant there?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

there's an entire thread that answers these types of questions (and thank you Sharon for keeping it updated)

* Barcelona / Renaissance Fira / NO LOUNGE; Full breakfast in restaurant; free wifi; 09/14 update

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Since there is no Executive / Concierge Lounge, do Gold Elite members get a complimentary breakfast at a restaurant there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.