Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2001, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
search 'Bangkok' in the Marriott Forum 'provides'::

Suggestions on choosing Bangkok Marriott?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000770.html

sorry, I posted first a wrong (password-protected) link.

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 11-19-2001).]
Old Nov 19, 2001, 1:19 pm
R&R

Rudi, what is the password?

Old Nov 22, 2001, 1:04 am
R&R

Would like to add that the water taxi also stops at the Skytrain station and at the Shangri-La pier on request. There you can catch the Penisula water taxi for the trip across the river for the Penisula Hotel!

I wonder if the Marriott Water taxi would drop of at the Penisula Hotel pier? I bet it would. They pick and drop folks off at other stops on request.

Old Nov 22, 2001, 1:42 am
Original Member

the Riverside Marriott water taxi (complimentary, running every half hour except around lunch time) dropped me off at any pier I wanted (I paid them a 20 Baht tip).
Old Nov 23, 2001, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Stayed at the Marriott on Sukhumvit two years ago. A 5-star hotel with many amenities. One of the best city hotels I have ever stayed at and it was relatively cheap and near all the tourist action on Sukhumvit. If I go back I will definitely head there.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 4:11 pm

Location: Kailua, Hawaii. USA - UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Bangkok JW Marriott: Questions and Reviews

How is this hotel in Bangkok? Is the executive floor worth it? Have a free 2 night weekend stay and deciding whether to stay here or the Marriott River Garden and Spa.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Both hotels are nice, but I prefer the JW for its better location mostly. The Exec floor is great, as is the lounge. The hotel is very new and nice. You won't go wrong there.

Bruce
Old Nov 28, 2001, 3:32 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa (reflags as Amantara Nov 2011)

I stayed at the Riverside last Nov. and had a wonderful time. A bit off the beaten track, but the grounds are very nice with lots of trees and grass. They also have a dinner river cruise, which was a treat. They have a boat that goes from the hotel to the main landing in front of the Penninsula, so it's pretty easy to get around the city from there.
Old Nov 28, 2001, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
The JWMarriott is one of the best "vertical" hotels I have ever stayed at. While not a spread-out resort like the Riverside, it is only 6 years old, very modern with large comfortable rooms with excellent service. Stayed 2 years ago and was very inexpensive with my government rate. Right on the main drag--Sukhumvit Road--you're close to all the tourist action in this somewhat amazing city. I would definitely go back if I ever return to BKK.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 12:02 am
Original Member

I use regularly both.

The Royal Garden Resort, a real Resort right on the river, is not in walking distance of any attraction, but the free boat (running every 30 minutes) brings you in about 20 minutes to the terminal Sky train station (near the Shangri-La and the Oriental Mandarin).

The very elegant JW is in walking distance of 'everything' in the Sukhumvit area - I am not so sure that wifes will enjoy a long stay in the Sukhumvit area (Nana etc being just a block away) ... but the JW is my favorite just after arrival or before departure as with it's direct access to/from the airport motorway I can avoid any traffic hassle on arrival and (even more on) departure day.

Never did the Reward points post automatically after stays at both Bangkok Marriotts. I always had to claim the credits later, sending in the necessary papers.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 9:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
For those who have been to both, Hilton or Marriott Riverside in Bangkok?

For those that have been to both, which do you prefer for sightseeing in Bangkok?
Old Dec 8, 2001, 6:35 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cab from BKK to Marriott Riverside, time?

What time should I allow for a cab ride from BKK to the Marriott Riverside Resort in Bangkok? I'd like to be on the conservative side.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 11:42 pm
Original Member

Monday-Friday:
7AM-9PM: 90minutes
before/afterwards: 60minutes

Saturday
7AM-9PM: 70minutes
before/afterwards: 50minutes

Sunday
7AM-9PM: 60minutes
Old Dec 9, 2001, 12:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
Monday-Friday:
7AM-9PM: 90minutes
before/afterwards: 60minutes

Saturday
7AM-9PM: 70minutes

Sunday
7AM-9PM: 60minutes
</font>
Hate to say this but you are wrong.

Mon-fri ruh hr (7.30-9.30am - 4.30-7pm)
30 min -1 hr
no rush- 20-30 mins

Saturday- all day
15-25 mins
maybe 6-8pm 45 mins

Sunday- all day
15-25 mins

Maybe someone who live in Thailand can confirm this
Old Dec 9, 2001, 2:10 am
Original Member

well, the shorter times above from liketofly I would calculate for the JW Marriott.

(I don't live in Thailand, but I have done the hotel Limousine transfer to the Riverside about 12 times in the last three years).

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 12-09-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.