Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2001, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The new SkyTrain (which I have never used, unfortunately) supposedly has a stop very close to the Marriott Riverside, although on the other side of the river. That might be the best way to travel from the airport.

Bruce
Old Dec 9, 2001, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the Skytrain is only a (partial) solution if you have no luggage and plenty of time.

you would first have to transfer from the airport (by Motorway) to the Sukhumvit area (that's where the JW Marriott is) than take the Skytrain to the river (near the Shangri-La) and wait (you must wave your hands for it, it doesn't stop there automatically, runs every 30 minutes from early morning to midnight) for the free/complimentary Marriott boat, which in another 20-25 minutes brings you to the Riverside.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 10:11 pm

Programs: Plat Marriott, GM Delta, 1K United
I prefer the Marriott Riverside -- it is outside of town with a free 20 minute ride on the river to get into town. Beautiful hotel, wonderful staff. Stayed there 3 times, Hilton 1 time. Just got back from a Thanksgiving stay -- and already planning next Thanksgiving there
Old Dec 10, 2001, 10:15 pm

Programs: Plat Marriott, GM Delta, 1K United
Taxis and limos are cheap in BKK -- fast, secure, easy. Having been to the Riverside 3 times (most recent this past Thanksgiving) I strongly recommend catching a limo to the hotel -- use the river boat, etc. during your trip when you have no luggage and lots of time to enjoy the scenery
Old Dec 11, 2001, 11:35 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Again, these two are kinda' like comparing apples and oranges, IMHO. FWIW, my wife actually likes the BKK Hilton despite its somewhat isolated location and she also specifically enjoys the service and some of their fine shops (like the jewelry store), but she abolutely loves the Royal Garden Riverside and its location.

Personally, I'd probably opt for the nice JW Marriott at Sukumvit around soi 4! Have a great trip either way!
Old Dec 11, 2001, 11:47 am
R&R

A taxi is so inexpensive from the airport, it is not worth all the transfers and waiting to take the Skytrain and water taxi. Especially after a long flight and with luggage. Too many stairs for the skytrain station.

Old Dec 11, 2001, 5:40 pm

Go with Riverside. Hilton location is good BUT the traffic is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 11, 2001, 7:28 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by R&R:

A taxi is so inexpensive from the airport, it is not worth all the transfers and waiting to take the Skytrain and water taxi. Especially after a long flight and with luggage. Too many stairs for the skytrain station.</font>
---

I agree!

And the ride time is quite variable as the traffic can be rather intense, but I'd tend to agree with the longer times posted above, and I usually try to arrive quite late to minimize the traffic delays! Enjoy your trip!

Old Dec 11, 2001, 9:17 pm
R&R

Most flights from the states, arrive late at nite and depart early in the AM, so there is little traffic. But do let the Taxi driver take the expressway for a $1.00 more. It is very fast as opposed to surface streets. About $10.00 by metered taxi outside the terminal. Costs more by limo hired in the terminal.

Leaving in the AM for the annual non-holiday shopping trip to BKK.

Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:39 am

Bangkok JW Marriott: Questions and Reviews

I will be staying at the Bangkok JW Marriott next weekend for the first time. Any tips on floors/rooms to request/avoid or other general info would be appreciated (this will probably be just a regular room since I have no status yet with Marriott). Also, restaurant recommendations within walking distance would be welcomed. Thanks for all responses.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 11:00 pm

I don't think the view matters too much. Avoid the corner rooms though -- they have tiny triangle shaped windows.

If you're looking for classy food, you should probably just stay in the hotel. I didn't see anything spectacular nearby. The elevated train station is only two blocks away. If you get off at the National Stadium stop, you can take the walkway across to the MBK Center. The MBK has a GREAT food court -- dirt cheap and fun.

Across the streen from the hotel, below the McDonald's, is a decent Thai cafe. I had evil chicken and pad thai noodles.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
For good dining also try the Sheraton Sukhumvit. Sure it's just another hotel but they have a very good Thai restaurant (and Italian) and the walk makes a good excuse to get out and see part of the city without venturing far. It's about 6 blocks straight up Sukhumvit Road. You'll pass dozens of street vendors along the way selling everything from knock off designer clothes, to tacky Thai souveniers, to stir fried insects. Take sky train just outside the hotel goes to the Sheraton also, exit at the Asok station.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; BD Gold; Hyatt Dia; HH Dia; IC RA; AxCent
Good choice, a nice hotel I have spent quite a few nights in. I had a King room which was quite comfortable, and quiet even facing Sukhumvit Rd.

The Thai Restaurant in the Hotel (White Elephant) is really nice. There is also a bridge to a small mall opposite, with a few restaurants including TGI Fridays. A good idea is also a quick stroll up two blocks to the Landmark hotel, which has a plaza with half a dozen nice Thai, Japanese and Chinese restaurants. I also chose to stay at the Landmark last time, which offers everything about 40% cheaper, where the room standard (recently renovated) is almost the same as Marriott's. Will be going back this year.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 4, 2002, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Stayed there in January 2000 for 6 nights while touring Thailand. The hotel (built in 1995) is incredible! It was the nicest "vertical" hotel I've ever stayed at and ranks right there with the nicest Marriott business hotel locations. Nice pool on the sixth floor level with an adjoining nautilus room (free).Great service, great location and great value for my money (had government rates at less than $100US per night. Many food options--just see the concierge. Close to everything on Sukhumvit, including the SkyTrain. Would certainly book here if I ever return to Bangkok.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 7:12 am

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
BKK Marriott Preference

Does anybody have a preference or recommendation of staying at the J.W. Marriott or the Marriott resort on the River. Which is better located as far as being a tourist, and/or better rooms. I am a Platinum member going on a real VACATION! thru Thailand in December.

Thanks.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.