Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Marriott, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glasgow Marriott, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Full Scottish cooked breakfast is given to Plats in the restaurant on the weekends

(It's terrific )
Old May 23, 2015, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks - I'll update the sticky.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Full Scottish cooked breakfast is given to Plats in the restaurant on the weekends

(It's terrific )
I assume that also applies to Gold?
Old May 23, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by philwupdx
I assume that also applies to Gold?
That's my assumption.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I would not be at all concerned about the décor of the room. I thought the rooms were very nice (and not worn at all). I would definitely stay there again. The furniture is not in a state that it needs replaced. It is as good as most full service Marriott's. The bathroom was fine - and not dated at all - with nice vanity.

The lobby bar/restaurant area have been redone and are very nice. The Concierge Lounge is nice with good offerings.

Since the exterior of the hotel is brick - it has a nice appearance. There is a glass pyramid portico at the entrance. The grounds are nicely manicured.

The only thing I found needed some work was the windows and the A/C. The first room I had the A/C wasn't working. The second room the A/C worked fine, just a little noisy on low speed fan (high speed fan OK - I guess the higher speed overrode whatever was causing the noise at low speed).

The hotel has a two pane inter window and then an added outer two pane window. Both can be open independently. Only issue is that some of the windows need replaced as an air leak developed in one of the double glass panes and a window may be fogged up. But most of the windows are OK - just maybe one fogged pane in the room. The double windows takes away any noise from the freeway.

The hotel is better than some other Marriott's in the UK. I would definitely stay there again. Just check your room A/C and the windows before you finally accept the room.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
The main job of the double windows is to keep the noise of the M8 out of the room! I've had the windows steam up in the winter time but once opened to let a bit of fresh air into the room it quickly goes away.

For 99% of the year in Scotland we don't need air con and in fact the only time we use it in Glasgow is for heating the room in the winter.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wickersley

(It's terrific )
You can have whiskey on your porridge ^ The haggis is nice at breakfast too.

Have to add to other's comments on here that the staff are great. As a PP I got a bottle of wine and a bottle of Irn-Bru (real true scottish drink) as a welcome in the room.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by toothy

Have to add to other's comments on here that the staff are great. As a PP I got a bottle of wine and a bottle of Irn-Bru (real true scottish drink) as a welcome in the room.
I'm reassured by all the comments to date about the Marriott. Sounds like this will be just fine for a five night stay after a long overnight journey from the West Coast of the US.

Looking forward to trying haggis!
Old May 25, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nequine
The main job of the double windows is to keep the noise of the M8 out of the room! I've had the windows steam up in the winter time but once opened to let a bit of fresh air into the room it quickly goes away.

For 99% of the year in Scotland we don't need air con and in fact the only time we use it in Glasgow is for heating the room in the winter.
What I meant is the windows have 4 layers of glass. 2 layers for the first window and 2 layers for the second window. 2 pieces of glass separated by about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch is generally standard these day as it prevents condensation. But if the air tight seal gets a leak, then moisture gets in and the area between the two pieces of glass and it permanently fogs up. Only solution is to replace the window panes (which are factory sealed together).

I wasn't referring to fog between the two windows which are separated by around 6 inches and can be opened independently.

I was in Scotland last September and it was very hot - in the 90's F. A/C was a must. That visit I was in Edinburgh first, and it was a real issue at the new Residence Inn which did not have A/C.

Last edited by cova; May 25, 2015 at 7:07 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by toothy

You can have whiskey, but you need to ask for it. What they do offer though, is whisky.

Yours,
A Pedant
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
You can have whiskey, but you need to ask for it. What they do offer though, is whisky.

Yours,
A Pedant
I must of been drinking the whisky when typing that
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
We just finished up a 4-night stay at this property. The room was a bit of a let-down after spending the previous 5 nights in a huge suite at The Glasshouse! But it was clean and adequate - typical UK FS Marriott room. Smallish, but fine. I would have liked a mini fridge (and you could see where the room used to have one placed) and the safe had a very iffy keypad which made me nervous every time I used it!

We didn't hear any noise from the M8 at all or from neighboring rooms for that matter.

As reported by others, Golds and Plats (and a guest) do get a full breakfast buffet in the dining room over the weekend and it was excellent. Breakfast in the lounge was also quite nice. We found the evening snacks to be kind of blah, but the service in the lounge itself was excellent.

The location was convenient for us, as we were using Glasgow as a jumping off point for a couple of day trips and the train station was a short walk. We loved the vibe in the city center. Lots of great restaurants and pubs to choose from, all a safe walk from the hotel at night. We also walked to the West End one day and enjoyed that part of town as well.

While not fancy, the hotel was clean and convenient. I would have no issues staying there again, especially for the price. Nice grounds, exterior, etc.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:44 pm

Glasgow Marriott Points

I don't know if my recent experiences with the Glasgow Marriott are unique or indicative of something more systemic and am curious if any other Marriott Reward members have experienced something similar.

I completed two stays at the Glasgow Marriott this past June. The first stay was for five nights with a total charge approximating $1000 USD. The second stay was for one night for about $200 USD in charges. The first stay resulted in a total of 1537 points and the second stay about 250 points.

After conversing with Marriott Rewards customer service and emailing my hotel invoices, the correct points amounting to about 12000 points and 2300 points, respectively, were posted. Customer service seemed similarly baffled as I was at the "miscalculation" that happened twice on separate occasions.

Anyone with similar experiences from the Glasgow Marriott?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by philwupdx
I don't know if my recent experiences with the Glasgow Marriott are unique or indicative of something more systemic and am curious if any other Marriott Reward members have experienced something similar.

I completed two stays at the Glasgow Marriott this past June. The first stay was for five nights with a total charge approximating $1000 USD. The second stay was for one night for about $200 USD in charges. The first stay resulted in a total of 1537 points and the second stay about 250 points.

After conversing with Marriott Rewards customer service and emailing my hotel invoices, the correct points amounting to about 12000 points and 2300 points, respectively, were posted. Customer service seemed similarly baffled as I was at the "miscalculation" that happened twice on separate occasions.

Anyone with similar experiences from the Glasgow Marriott?
Just checked my points from my stay in June...they were as expected. No issues. It seems odd that it would happen to you twice!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:50 am

"Surround yourself with the rich aromas of Scottish history and culture by becoming a whisky connoisseur at one of the Glasgow Marriott Hotel’s whisky tasting classes.

The classes are hosted every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday between 6 - 7pm. Anyone attending the casual classes will get the chance to sample four different whiskies from different Scottish regions. You will be taught how to differentiate between the variety of flavours, complemented by smoked cheese, dark chocolate and oat cakes.

Classes cost £20 and run every week throughout 2016. For more information, contact the Marriott hotel on 0141 226 557 or visit their website"

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/whats-o...oG1sPvgBQus.99
Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/whats-o...oG1sPvgBQus.99

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.