Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
sorry your confused (I'm only confused over whether AC stands for AC by Marriott or Autograph Collection)

trying to respond to your confusion................

it's 7-days a week OUTSIDE of the US/Canada

the resort cavaet appears AFTER inside US/Can and outside US/Can............ therefore it applies to BOTH, or in simplistic terms, worldwide........

and if a prop goes above and beyond these stated standards, like many do here in asia, that's a perk from the prop, but NOT a right....

Originally Posted by flyerwife
Not to belabor the point or hijack this thread, but the paragraph you quoted IS confusing...it implies that at US and Canadian Marriott Hotels & Resorts, you will be offered breakfast on weekend stays...and it does not address a hotel which has a lounge but is CLOSED on weekends...and the word 'participating' is vague and intentionally unclear to the member....and the caveat 'not available at resort locations' seems to be part of the exclusions for locations outside the US and Canada....

so yes, as a member who is one year shy of Lifetime Platinum with Marriott, it confuses ME. I am certain it baffles others.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Anyway technicalities aside, they could simplify it, and make it far easier to understand if they worded it like this:

For Platinum Elite members we are delighted to offer complimentary breakfast worldwide 7 days a week in Full Service Marriott/Renaissance group Hotels and Resorts.

If there is no Concierge/Executive Lounge open, then breakfast can be taken in the Hotel restaurant.

This I believe is quite similar to the Hyatt Diamond wording (which by the way requires only 50 nights to qualify for, whereas Marriott Platinum requires 75)

Now if we can just get Mr French to listen to us?

(By the way the sun is shining at the Harbor Beach Marriott in Fort Lauderdale as I check out this morning!)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:11 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by markzz2
This I believe is quite similar to the Hyatt Diamond wording (which by the way requires only 50 nights to qualify for, whereas Marriott Platinum requires 75)
Realize that Hyatt doesn't have anywhere near the hotel coverage that Marriott has. As such, Hyatt probably needs to offer more from their program than does Marriott. So don't expect Marriott to radically change their program any time soon due to Hyatt's program offerings.

So while it is great that Hyatt offers their elites more, if I can't find a convenient Hyatt anywhere close by, then what they would offer me as a top level elite, doesn't do me much good. And even when there is a close by Hyatt hotel (i.e. I've been traveling to Overland Park, KS recently), when the cost is more than $40 more per night over close by Marriotts and Hiltons, I can't justify that extra expense.

Note that Starwood has a larger hotel footprint than does Hyatt and they have done a great job over the last year about adding more top level elite benefits especially for those that stay more than the minimum requirements for Platinum. And I don't see Marriott breaking the door down to match any of those changes. So if Marriott isn't worried too much about what Starwood is doing, I just can't see them worried about Hyatt's offerings.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the only other hotel chain that Marriott might really entertain changing their program for would be Hilton. They are Marriott's closest competitor in terms of hotel footprint, chain types, program type, etc. And while I'm currently trying Hilton out a bit, I'm not really seeing much that screams "Hilton is better".

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 14, 2012 at 8:18 am
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Getting back on topic, it would be interesting to find out if someone else stays here again if the free movie, snacks, 20% off at stores in hotel is truly gone.

Obviously the hotel doesn't have to offer that as part of Marriott's T&Cs, but it sounds like something they were doing on a regular basis & if that's gone, it's a reduction in property-offered bennies.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Getting back on topic, it would be interesting to find out if someone else stays here again if the free movie, snacks, 20% off at stores in hotel is truly gone.

Obviously the hotel doesn't have to offer that as part of Marriott's T&Cs, but it sounds like something they were doing on a regular basis & if that's gone, it's a reduction in property-offered bennies.

Cheers.
Was just there last month with the family. We got upgraded to ocean/pool view rooms. Notice the plural. No consideration for the fact I was paying quite a bit for two rooms. Got spa passes for everyone 16 and older. My 14 year old became 16 for the weekend . Received free breakfast in the restaurant for all 6 of us. We used it for the overpriced buffet, which is nothing special by the way. My wife and I were both told by multiple front desk clerks that our rate qualified us for 20% off all purchases made on the property, period. I wound up flying out a day before the rest of my family checked out. When I got the bill, no 20% credit. Since I was already dealing with being charged for both valet and self-parking for one vehicle, I asked accounting about the credit. I was told my Membership Rewards member rate did not qualify. I wrote a love letter to the elite coordinator (who was very nice and quite helpful) and asked her to pass it along to the GM. I did receive an apology and 35,000 points to make up for all the confusion. It didn't really soften the blow to my wallet because we made decisions like eating on-property versus off-property based on the discount.

We were also at this property in July of 2011 and got the free movie, discounts, etc. So it's no more.

Be aware that food at this hotel is very over-priced. We just spent a weekend at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota which has a wonderful private beach club. You'd think the Ritz would be higher than the Marriott, right? It wasn't. Cocktails were several dollars cheaper and food even more so.

Given that the property itself is looking quite worn and in need of a refurb, the only thing left is the spa pool and beach. That doesn't justify the lack of upgrades and high rates for this property.

I'd much rather stay on the Gulf coast at the Ritz Sarasota with access to a private and very posh beach club where I never have to lift a finger except maybe to get the attention of one of the beach club staff for another cocktail.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
Was just there last month with the family. We got upgraded to ocean/pool view rooms. Notice the plural. No consideration for the fact I was paying quite a bit for two rooms. Got spa passes for everyone 16 and older. My 14 year old became 16 for the weekend . Received free breakfast in the restaurant for all 6 of us. We used it for the overpriced buffet, which is nothing special by the way. My wife and I were both told by multiple front desk clerks that our rate qualified us for 20% off all purchases made on the property, period. I wound up flying out a day before the rest of my family checked out. When I got the bill, no 20% credit. Since I was already dealing with being charged for both valet and self-parking for one vehicle, I asked accounting about the credit. I was told my Membership Rewards member rate did not qualify. I wrote a love letter to the elite coordinator (who was very nice and quite helpful) and asked her to pass it along to the GM. I did receive an apology and 35,000 points to make up for all the confusion. It didn't really soften the blow to my wallet because we made decisions like eating on-property versus off-property based on the discount.

We were also at this property in July of 2011 and got the free movie, discounts, etc. So it's no more.

Be aware that food at this hotel is very over-priced. We just spent a weekend at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota which has a wonderful private beach club. You'd think the Ritz would be higher than the Marriott, right? It wasn't. Cocktails were several dollars cheaper and food even more so.

Given that the property itself is looking quite worn and in need of a refurb, the only thing left is the spa pool and beach. That doesn't justify the lack of upgrades and high rates for this property.

I'd much rather stay on the Gulf coast at the Ritz Sarasota with access to a private and very posh beach club where I never have to lift a finger except maybe to get the attention of one of the beach club staff for another cocktail.
Wow. Thanks for the update; unfortunately, it wasn't a good one.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

The main restaurant in the hotel is a very good seafood restaurant, is on Opentable and restaurant.com and even as a non-hotel guest, my charge on my Marriott Visa came through as if it were a hotel charge and therefore, I earned 5X points/dollar instead of the usual 2.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Hi All,

Seems there's a few threads on this lovely hotel, but no Master Thread. Apologies if my questions have already been addressed.

From what I gather this hotel:

- Does not offer complimentary breakfast nor have a concierge lounge as it's a resort.
- $25 parking is not waived for plats.
- Upgrades are frequent for plats, but of course not guaranteed.

My wife and I will be staying here in February over the weekend for 4 nights. Hoping someone can chime in and answer some of our questions:

- Is a car needed or is there enough near the hotel within walking distance? If a car is needed, is there somewhere else you can park to avoid the $25 fee?
- Is there a fee to rent beach chairs / cabanas and if so, how much is it?
- Any other helpful tips / recommendations?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:46 pm
Suspended

A car is needed and there is no avoiding the parking fee.

You really should have posted this in one of the other threads you found about this hotel instead of starting yet another new thread on this property.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
Hi All,

- Is a car needed or is there enough near the hotel within walking distance? If a car is needed, is there somewhere else you can park to avoid the $25 fee?
- Is there a fee to rent beach chairs / cabanas and if so, how much is it?
- Any other helpful tips / recommendations?
I believe beach chairs are free but there's a charge for umbrellas. There are private cabanas for rent on the far side of the pool and restaurant. They have beach access but really aren't any closer to the beach than any other structure. The beach area is served by a beverage vendor with a 4-wheeler who has cocktails, beer, soft drinks, etc. that you can charge back to your room. There's also a beach grill with food like burgers and a bar. It's nothing fancy.

The property is surrounded by a residential area so no other parking is available. You could use taxis but IMHO it would be a pain. There's a lot of good restaurants within a few miles of the property including the 17th St and Las Olas areas.

Upgrades for plats are to ocean or pool view only. To get a suite, you can pay an additional charge. Ask at the front desk when you check-in.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
Upgrades for plats are to ocean or pool view only. To get a suite, you can pay an additional charge. Ask at the front desk when you check-in.
I contacted the GM and politely stated that anything she could do to make our trip more memorable would be appreciated. I've done this on a few other occasions (Marriott Copley Square in Boston and JW Marriott in Phuket) and each time I've been impressed. Still haven't heard back from her yet (it's been 5 days).

Has anyone else had success contacting the GM?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No but I tried to setup something similar in advance last March without success as a PLT Premier for 3 nights.

People rave about this place but I don't get it. Got a standard room over looking the parking lot, no refrigerator but an offer to be charged $25 per day to keep a few beers cold. A few coupons for chairs/cabanas but they are yanked away about 4pm each day. Pool fairly crowded, beach nothing special even a little on the dirty side.

Best thing for me was about a doable 20 minute walk to the fun bars on the beach...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
I stayed here for work a couple of weeks ago (Sun - Thurs). I didn't contact anyone prior to my stay, but I saw on my reservation a day or two before that they had upgraded me to an oceanview room. My co-worker is PP, and they gave her coupons to use in the starbucks that is in the hotel in the mornings. I am regular Plat and I did not receive them, but different people checked us in - so you might want to ask about that. We both got coupons for spa discounts, but I didn't really look at them very closely because i knew I wouldn't have time for that.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Recent Gold Experiences @ Harbor Beach?

Any Golds stay at the Harbor Beach recently? What amenities did you get?

I've stayed here in '01 (Plat) and '05 (Gold). Both times I was upgraded to full ocean view, which I was thrilled with for pretty low rates. This time I booked a AAA rate with $50 resort credit for $314/night for 4 nights and I am using points for 2 nights that would otherwise be $449. I can see that they've already upgraded me to a partial ocean view room from the basic no view and I'm sure that will be lovely.

Do I get 1 day of free internet or the whole stay free internet?

The other thing is that I called the front desk to talk amenities and was told by them that I'd get 20% off at all purchases at the property. I then talked to the spa directly and was told that was only for Platinums. Anyone have experience with this as a Gold? I'm getting a $50/night credit already, and I'm a spa addict, so I'd like to see about getting that 20% discount! Maybe if it goes on my room folio they apply it later?

When I was there in '05, they actually had an elite reception and we got a nice canvas beach bag with a huge logo towel and other swag in it. That was quite nice, but I'm not expecting it this time. I know there are differing opinions but this resort has everything I want, a private beach, tennis, lovely pool, fantastic spa and I'm quite pleased with the rooms and they've been upgraded since I was last there. I'm pumped but I'm telling you, I'd love that 20% discount at the spa
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:57 pm

edit.

Last edited by xtremeski2001; Jan 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.