Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2000, 12:19 pm

Hmmm, I just had to check my reservations..we are at the Marriott Marina. Nice gov't rate of $75 (it pays to travel/live with a retired gov't employee). Give what I read, I think I will keep my reservation..but I will do a quick check on the Westin. thanks for the heads up
Old Aug 10, 2000, 3:28 pm

Bruce, I am seem to recall the Marina charging for valet parking, but self-parking was always free. Are they charging for self-parking now? How do they monitor it - the set up did seem like it would lend itself to having a gate/booth, etc.?
Old Aug 10, 2000, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
They have set up a booth at the entrance to the garage area (but only valet parkers get to use the lower level). You can still park free on the east side of the entrance, but employees take all those spaces. Charging for parking seems like a petty way to grab an extra few dollars, and I really don't like it.

Bruce
Old Aug 10, 2000, 7:30 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I get a kick when they explain the charge for parking is because it is a SEPERATE company! Like the Marriott would not charge if they were in control of the parking.
Will things change back to the way they were when another recession occurs.

Yes the $150.00 special at Beachplace is a timeshare special introductory rate for 3 nites with some other goodies or meals tossed in. But compared to the other Marriott properties and the prices in the area, it would be worth it. Especially on a mileage run! A mini vacation.
Just learn to say 'no' to the timeshare. Walking across the street to the great Atlanic Ocean beach is no big deal. I think I just talked myself into a nice trip.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 10:14 pm

Bruce - I agree. It always bothered me at Harbor Beach that they charged for parking, and now the Marina. Its not like these are downtown New York hotels, where parking is a real commodity. Its right up there with charging for incomming faxes - or my favorite (charged by Silverado in Napa Valley) - a charge for receipt of a FEDEX package (which they didn't even deliver to my room - I had to pick it up at the "business center"). I had a tantrum over that one, until they removed it from my bill, but I would never stay at that hotel again.
Old Aug 11, 2000, 3:30 am

Makes you wonder, just what is included in the room price. A bed and towels.
How can they rationalize all the other service charges to hit a guest with after paying over $100.00 for a room.
Old Aug 11, 2000, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
In the case of Ft. Lauderdale Marina, I had been staying there maybe 6-10 nights per year, so I though they might value my business. I complained to a sub-manager very nicely and asked that my complaint be passed along to the general manager. I expect that it was, but I heard nothing. I did get the parking fee waived on my last stay there, but it will be my LAST stay until they change the policy on parking.

Regarding the Beachplace time-share, it really is a fantastic place, and the ocean across the street is beautiful. Minor point: the mall is 3 floors (not 2). I suppose it can get noisy late at night, but it's not ear-splitting noise. Well, obviously, noise doesn't bother me too much.

Bruce
Old Aug 11, 2000, 10:05 am

Bruce - thanks for the correction on the number of floors. Have you stayed at Beach Place Towers on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night? When I checked in for my first stay (vacation) there on a Saturday, there was another guest at the front desk begging to be moved from the beach side because of the noise. I went out to a restaurant for dinner that night (taking my car out of the garage) and when I returned at 10pm they were waving people away from the garage because it was full (with people going to the bars/restaurants at the mall). I had to waive my hotel pass to get in. This was in-season, when the hotel first opened - I don't know if its calmed down since.
Old Aug 11, 2000, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It hasn't changed. The mall -- and the whole neighborhood really -- is just jammed with people all night long on weekends. The garage is full, although not on the high levels reserved for time-share occupants. I kind of like the atmosphere, but it's not for everyone.

Bruce
Old Aug 11, 2000, 5:25 pm

It looks like a real Florida beach vacation in a nice hotel, where walking to everything is the best. Especially if you compare Beachplace to the other alternatives. It is located in one of the better neighborhoods along the beaches for the mature traveler.

Does anyone know the rates without the timeshare special?
Old Aug 12, 2000, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very expensive: like $350 per night, if you can even get a room.

Bruce
Old Aug 12, 2000, 12:10 pm

When I've looked at the rates they seem to be very close for a standard room at Harbor Beach to a One bedroom villa at Beach Place Towers - certainly making the villa a better deal in terms of accomodations. There used to be a lot of Marriott Vacation Club discounts around - 20% or 25% off rooms, but I haven't seen any coupons or offers recently (except through Marriott Rewards - if you want to stay in Orlando in the rainy off season, or something like that). Anyone know of any such coupon offers (other than taking the dreaded tour)?

[This message has been edited by BeantownFlyer (edited 08-12-2000).]
Old Aug 15, 2000, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Like bdschobel, I will generally opt for the Fort Lauderdale North property when I am in town for business (I stayed there the other night and the renovation that is going on caused me no disturbance whatever). That is because I do not like any of the three resort properties that are the main subjects of this thread. On a leisure weekend trip, I will forgo the ocean and stay at Pier 66 (a Hyatt where they also charge for parking), but will not fail to go over to Beach Place to have dinner at Max's.
Old Aug 16, 2000, 12:14 am

I believe I checked on that North FtL Marriott and it is about 8 miles or so. Is that correct? A bit of a drive.
Old Aug 16, 2000, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I guess that it is 6 or 8 miles up the road but it does not take much longer to get there than to the beach properties because it is all highway to Cypress Creek Road and to go to the beach requires stop and go driving thru traffic and frequently thru construction zones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.