Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Boston, MA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Boston, MA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Marriott-family hotels in or near Boston, MA

I've been a regular at the Cambridge Marriott and have nothing but good things to say about the property. The lobby was just refurbished and is looking very nice and modern. It's easily accessible to everywhere you would want to go and the view of the Boston skyline is the best in the city if you get a river view room. There are many very nice food options within walking distance.

This past week I had my first stay at the Long Wharf. I have to say it was a pleasant surprise. The lounge is very nice and overlooks the harbor. This is probably the best/most convenient location and nearest the downtown tourist sites. The rooms are well appointed and neat if not a little on the small size. The bath is very nice and maybe one of the best showers I've experienced in a while.

The other property I've stayed at regularly is the Ren in South Boston. This is perhaps the property with the nicest rooms. The drawback is location. It's off the beaten track, for now. The area is up and coming. One day this will be a hot spot.

The last place I've stayed at is the Cambridge RI. It's literally right next door to the Cambridge Marriott. The only reason I stopped staying at this property is the reduced point accrual rates for RI.

Tudor Wharf is a nice location right on the water. If it's the building I believe it to be, it was once all condos. It's off the beaten path but still close to all the tourist sites. If you like Italian food this is an excellent choice. It's on the back side of the North End. The benefit of this location is it will be a good break from city noise and it's a safe area. But it's still a RI so don't expect the exceptional.

I've also stayed at the Ritz, but nobody needs to be sold on it being excellent. Nice rooms. Terrible views at the lower price points.

As far as getting from the airport to the hotel, they're all going to be a 10-15 minute taxi ride from Logan. I wouldn't give that too much weight in your decision.

Things I've learned in my many trips to Boston: Cambridge is less expensive for dining out. If you have to pay for the hotel, taxes are cheaper in Cambridge. Don't get a car while you're in town. If you plan to go to the cape, rent one just for that. Don't be afraid to use the subway. It's safe and incredibly convenient. But still, it's a walkable city so use your feet if you're able.

On the cape I liked Wellfleet. But I don't thing there's a Marriott there. Inns and Bnbs are the way to go. Friday night traffic will be a nightmare. Cottages change over on Saturdays resulting in more traffic. Sunday traffic has all the weekenders returning to the city. Avoid going over the weekend.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the updates on the properties!

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
thanks so much for this valuable comments. Hope to get some more about other properties and the best use of my points.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
frisbeeacej, I sent you a p.m.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Thumbs up Boston Marriott Burlington

Originally Posted by rylan
Submit a complaint to Marriott. They should be offering a much better selection than a plate of eggs, stale bread and some fruit at the breakfast offering.
I did that in the survey, and I voted with my $. I've been staying at the Boston Marriott Burlington the last few stays. So much better.

Lounge is bigger, nicer. Lounge attendants are very friendly and accommodating.
  • In the evening there was a nice selection of 3 hot items along with an assortment of fruit, cheese, and vegetables.
  • In addition to cookies, there are two main dessert selections and even when showing up at a 8:30-9:00 PM there were still choices as they kept replenishing.
  • For breakfast there was choice of oatmeal, cereal, selection of breads including one of the best small cinnamon rolls I've had, and of course eggs and breakfast meat which changes daily.

Their on site restaurant, Chopps, was excellent with a nice selection of steaks, fish, and small plates, in addition to a varied and excellent selection of appetizers, and their homemade tots are amazing. Grilled asparagus was also very good. The Boston Marriott Newton restaurant pales in comparison.

Burlington's rooms are similar in size to the Boston Marriott Newton but the furnishings and finishes are a bit newer and bathrooms have been better maintained. Internet connectivity is much better at the Boston Marriott Burlington than the Newton property.

Boston Marriott Burlington does not charge for parking like the Boston Marriott Newton does. Hotel room rates range from being the same as the Newton property to being $20 more. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Boston Marriott Newton is category 6; whereas Boston Marriott Burlington is a category 5. I understand from Tripadvisor postings, which are mixed for both Newton and Burlington properties, that the Boston Marriott Burlington completed renovations (lobby, restaurant and bar I believe) last year so the category levels may well change in the coming years.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Burlington Marriott is far superior to the Newton location is pretty much every way as you mentioned. I think (hope) the cat level will get held down due to the hotel being almost entirely occupied by business stays during the week and generally low loads on weekends. They're located near companies, not really for leisure travel.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Three Night Stay in Boston Area for a Wedding

Stayed two nights at the Courtyard Boston Billerica/Bedford and one night at the Boston Marriott Copley Place.

Arrived just before 1:00 am Thursday night/Friday morning (flew in from the west coast for a wedding) and drove out to the Courtyard Boston Billerica/Bedford for the first two nights (wedding festivities at the bride's parents' home in Billerica started Saturday morning). The Courtyard is nice --- but signage sucks (especially at 1:00 am). If you're heading to this Courtyard, be sure to turn left at "Old Concord Road" where the main entrance to the hotel is --- otherwise you'll see the hotel from "Concord Road" --- but there's no entrance to 270 Concord Road (the address of the hotel) from Concord Road.

We had called ahead on the day of travel to advise the FD that we'd be arriving really really late. Greeted warmly and given our pre-assigned room. Friendly front desk staff helped us with restaurant choices for non-chain restaurants for Friday night --- lots of great Asian cuisine in the Billerica/Lowell area for those not wanting to venture into Boston's Chinatown.

After the wedding's tea ceremony at the bride's parents' home on Saturday morning, we headed in to downtown to check in to the Boston Marriott Copley Place. We were able to check in around 1:00 pm (no line, probably helped that we were Gold, but otherwise no special treatment), received our 1,000 points for the lounge being closed on the weekend. Headed back to Logan Airport to return the rental car (cost of valet parking would have exceeded the daily rental car charge and Boston has great public transportation). Came back to the hotel via the convenient subway service from the airport to the Back Bay subway station (one change of trains) for $2 per person using our Charlie Cards (stored value cards). Subway stop is across the street from Copley Place and there's a pedestrian tunnel from the subway station to Copley Place.

We also used the subway to get to Chinatown for the evening wedding reception and the next day for dim sum.

Elevators at the Boston Marriott Copley Place are s-l-o-w. Looks like they're in the process of improving elevator service, but in the meantime it can be quite frustrating.

We returned to Logan Airport via the subway (with our luggage) on Sunday. The bill slipped under the door was accurate.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Recently stayed at the Marriott in Peabody and the Springhill Suites in Peabody.

Sad to say that the Springhill Suites is as good, if not a better stay than at the Marriott.

The rooms are equal and to me, the bed at the Springhill Suites is much more comfortable.

The FREE breakfast at the Springhill Suites is light years better than the “free” limited, boring offerings in the lounge at the Marriott. Even the afternoon appetizers are uninspiring. Plus, the lounge is so small.

The towels at the Springhill suites are thicker and fluffier than at the Marriott.

And the best part, the Springhill Suites costs less. All I lose as a Plat is 300 “welcome gift” points.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Can you Boston veterans help steer me towards the best hotel choice for my family of four (wife and two kids, 9 and 11). I am going to be purchasing a Marriott Travel Package that gives me enough Southwest points for the Companion Pass (will do this in January 2015). As a result, I will have 7 nights free coming at a Marriott in whatever Category I choose, I just need to decide on a hotel first. We would most likely be visiting Boston next summer when the kids are off school, although are flexible on the dates for sure. Here is what is important to us:
- chance of an upgrade to a suite or a room with a pull out sofa (I am a Platinum)
- availability of a concierge lounge for breakfast
- casual food options near hotel
- proximity to public transit
- location for all of the tourist stuff (this is my family's first visit to the Boston area)

Can a few of you please weigh in and help me out? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Downtown or outside of town? A lot of hotels in either choice. The one in the pru mall is nice. There is also one on the wharf which is by faneuil hall. Stayed at both. Upgrades not guaranteed or necessarily easy. Hotels always full. Loung used to be open 7 days but last time they were giving a coff voucher for starbucks to plats.

Outside a few nice ones too but same problem on upgrades. Too many plats.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Probably as close to most of the touristy stuff as we love to walk everywhere. Will not have a car and will take public transportation to the areas we need to hit if necessary.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
The Marriott Copley fits your location description perfectly It's in a semi-touristy area and has a jillion dining options within a short walk. I can't speak to upgrade probability. There's also a CY in the area (admittedly, I have not stayed there) but if Cat is no object I'm sure the regular Marriott is much better. There also is the full service Marriott Longwharf which is also in a touristy area and right on the harbor. It's also close to the Northend which has great Italian restaurants, and Faneuil Hall. But I prefer the rooms and location of Copley. Others may disagree as this comes down to how you rank your priorities. Enjoy your trip to Boston; it's a really fun city.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
For a touristy visit, I'd choose the Marriott Long Wharf. It puts you closer to Faneuil Hall, the USS Constitution, Bunker Hill Monument, Freedom Trail, Aquarium, Museum of Science (great for kids your children's age), whale watches/harbor cruises, the North End for meals (try L'Osteria) and easy access to the T to get everywhere else. I'd only choose Copley if you're going to be focused on shopping or planning to visit Fenway for a Sox game. If you're a baseball fan but don't have tickets to a game, they offer tours of Fenway Park that are excellent.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Marriott-family hotels in or near Boston, MA

Long Wharf is a nice location and the concierge lounge has a great view. I was pleasantly surprised by this property. The Ren is so nice but off the beaten track so probably not as good a fit.

As my posts here prove, I'm a big fan of the Cambridge Marriott. CL is passable. River views are the best in the city. The other choice is the Cambridge RI. Both Cambridge properties are at Kendall Sq Sta. Plenty of good food options at any price point. And it's away from the hustle and bustle if downtown.

I'm not a fan of Copley. I'm a fan of the Ritz, but who wouldn't be.

I've had a colleague stay at the Fenway RI and he really enjoyed it there. The benefit of the RIs is the opportunity to get the one room suites with a pull out couch.

If I were choosing purely on the hotel, it would be the Ren. Best location for tourism is Long Wharf. Family friendly location, IMO, is Cambridge.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
For location, the Long Wharf is very nice. As a hotel, it is less satisfactory. I found the HVAC system very noisy, the rooms smaller than a typical U.S. Marriott, the bathrooms especially small, the concierge lounge food mediocre (but, as noted above, the views from the lounge are terrific), and some of the rooms are located in areas of the hotel prone to a lot of noise (like at the bottom of the atrium). The daily rates are high, and can only be justified by the property's location. But on points, and for purposes of vacation and touristy things, it would make sense. As to upgrades, the only ones I ever received at Long Wharf, were to the concierge floor; in other words not much. You might take a look at Marriott's Custom House, which is located nearby the Long Wharf, No lounge, but the accommodations, which are described as one bedroom suites which accommodate four, might suit you.

Last edited by ohmark; Jun 30, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.