Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum

Has anyone stayed here recently?
I am planning a reward stay and just looking for feedback.
I realize there are better places to stay than Naples, but I've decide "free is good".
I'll be arriving by train from Rome in the evening.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 16, 2011, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If by chance your stay is over a weekend, if you could report back whether there's an exec lounge, if it's open on the weekend, if not, do they offer breakfast, if not, if it's key accessible for soft drinks, if they have an i-net terminal, I'll update the exec lounge sticky w/ your input.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If by chance your stay is over a weekend, if you could report back whether there's an exec lounge, if it's open on the weekend, if not, do they offer breakfast, if not, if it's key accessible for soft drinks, if they have an i-net terminal, I'll update the exec lounge sticky w/ your input.

Cheers.
Arriving Sun and leaving Thursday.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Has anyone stayed here recently?
Be nice to hear comments about the property from somebody who has recently stayed. Also, interested in how plats are treated in respect to upgrades and breakfast. Thanks.

Last edited by ohmark; Aug 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
I reserved two rooms a couple years ago on points, one for the wife and I and one for a friend and his wife.
1, Naples is a strange town but lots of fun also.
2. Arrived at the hotel (after following a taxi because we got so turned around) and was warmly welcomed asa Platinum member. Was informed that our welcome gift had already been sent to our room. Very nice room, hardwood floors nice towels etc. No view from the window. welcome gift was a service cart with the following. 1bottle of wine, 1 carafe of OJ, 1 bottle of sparkling water, 1 plate of cheese and crackers, 1 plate of mixed fruit, and 1 plate of finger sandwiches. I went down the hall to my friends room to see if they would like some and because I had booked both rooms, they recieved the welcome gift also. AND this giftwas in both rooms every day of our 5 day stay!!!!! Since my friends dont drink wine they requested and got two bottles of beer each day for the remainder of the stay.
3. Very nice rooftop resturant with free Bfast every morning. View of MT Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples
4. Thursday night, free champange in the lobby with snacks
5. Francesco, manager of the bar and resturant. Great guy! Took us back into the kitchen squeeze olives for fresh juice for the wifes dirty martini. (I didnt believe him when he said he needed to squeeze them for fresh juice.
Quite a ew good resturants in the area and some great shopping as well. Day trip to the Amalfi coast is a must.

While Naples does not have the sites that a lot of the Italian cities do, we had a great time, great food, great hotel, and great people.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I stayed there in '07 but had similar experiences as tuono07 except I didn't get a plat gift every day. Beautiful view of the coast over breakfast.

Wife and I weren't all that impressed with Naples (I was there on business) but we did enjoy visiting Pompeii and the Island of Capri.

In all, nice hotel.

Final advice - if you leave a tip for the maids on checkout, put it under a pillow. When I was there, the word among my coworkers was that one of the managers or front desk person would go into rooms after checkout and pocket the maids' tips. I don't know if that was true but I got the general impression that thievery was the norm among the locals.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I stayed there in '07 but had similar experiences as tuono07 except I didn't get a plat gift every day. Beautiful view of the coast over breakfast.

Wife and I weren't all that impressed with Naples (I was there on business) but we did enjoy visiting Pompeii and the Island of Capri.

In all, nice hotel.

Final advice - if you leave a tip for the maids on checkout, put it under a pillow. When I was there, the word among my coworkers was that one of the managers or front desk person would go into rooms after checkout and pocket the maids' tips. I don't know if that was true but I got the general impression that thievery was the norm among the locals.
I always tip the maid at the begining of the stay, It seems to help with the service. As far as the thievery in Naples....... It does have a bad rep for pickpockets and such but I think things have changed a great deal in the laast 10 years and old reputations take a long time to change. (look at Londons terrible rep for food) As in any large city, be careful and aware of where you are and the people around you.
Have fun.
BTW South of the castle down town there is a pizza resturant, the downstairs is the pizza parlor, but the upstairs is an awsome casual resturant. I can't remember the name but it is about 1/2 a block south of the castle on the road the runs in front.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuono07
I always tip the maid at the begining of the stay, It seems to help with the service. As far as the thievery in Naples....... It does have a bad rep for pickpockets and such but I think things have changed a great deal in the laast 10 years and old reputations take a long time to change. (look at Londons terrible rep for food) As in any large city, be careful and aware of where you are and the people around you.
Have fun.
BTW South of the castle down town there is a pizza resturant, the downstairs is the pizza parlor, but the upstairs is an awsome casual resturant. I can't remember the name but it is about 1/2 a block south of the castle on the road the runs in front.
Just spent 4 nights using points in Naples. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't pay to stay in Naples.
First, the hotel was, in one word, "ok". We were upgraded to a delux room with a view which was nice, but compared to other rooms and upgrades, it was just, in one word, "ok". The room and hotel were clean and there was nothing wrong with it, but considering I spend so much time at Marriotts, I always hope for the "amazing" and "fantastic" moments when I get to travel with my wife. (We had those with the Grand Flora and Ren ArcTriompe in Paris before and after the Naples stay)
There was not a lounge, but we were given free breakfast in a very nice rooftop garden. Great cappuccino.
Wireless internet was very intermittent in the room. I found sitting in the lobby next to the wireless device helped.
We went to a couple of restaurants the hotel recommended and both were good. We couldn't find a third one they suggested the last night. First was "Hosteria Toldeo" and the other was "Solopizza". We went to the pizza place twice.
Naples, as a city, was dirty and grimy. As I mentioned, if I had to pay, it would have been disappointing. We never felt unsafe walking around.
Pompeii and Sorrento are both simple and easy day trips. The Archaeological was worthwhile after seeing Pompeii. In my opinion, you can do both (but not on a Tuesday): Pompeii early when it opens and then the Museum after returning after lunch. We ferried to Sorrento and took the train back and it was a wonderful day trip. Your train back includes a Naples bus ride, so we just jumped on the bus to get back.
The hotel was an easy walk from the harbor for a ferry to Sorrento and also for the "Alibus" if you are going/coming from the airport. The bus was 3 euros.
Our first arrival night we were "suckered" by a cab driver and paid 25 euros (and another 2 for a tip) for a 5 minute ride from the train station. If you take a cab from the train station, it should not cost more that 10 euros. The rest of the time we took buses or walked.

I know this review (combining Naples and the Marriott) seems mixed. I'm glad I went to Naples and the hotel was "ok". I would definitively go back to the Almafi coast.
Feel free to PM me if anyone wants more information.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Thanks for the responses. Very appreciative. Happy to read more.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
As of my last stay in March there was no Executive Lounge. They do give Platinums (not sure about Gold) free breakfast on weekends in the fabulous rooftop breakfast room. Be sure to try the sfogliatelli.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

+1 on the sfogliatelli and the other local pastry.
And the cappuccino for breakfast was among the best I had in Naples, if not the best.
Best part of the stay in Naples...breakfast. My current windows background is the view from the roof.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I'm here now and am extremely disappointed. The place is old and in need of refurbishment. 20" Philips CRT TV in the corner of the small room. My "King" bed is actually 2 twin beds pushed together. Bed linens are less than desirable. No upgrade as a Platinum. I do get free wired internet and breakfast on the roof (even on weekends). Shower curtain is 12" too long so you have to step on it while taking a shower. View of an apartment building. The daily "newspaper" is actually 6 photocopied pages of the NY Times. When running the water in the sink, the toilet makes a gurgling sound. Safe in room. Small minibar in room with space for a few of your own items. Funky smell throughout the hallways and room. Fitness center (24 hours) is OK, but the Lifefitness elliptical machine is missing the heartrate detector. No tissues in room so I get to blow my nose with toilet paper.

Interesting elevators. You punch in the number of the level you want to go to before entering.

Just came from the Courtyard in Toulouse and wish I would have stayed there another day rather than come to Italy a day early.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Oct 23, 2011 at 3:24 am Reason: no tissues
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Interesting elevators. You punch in the number of the level you want to go to before entering.
The only other hotel I've seen that in is Sheraton Nanjing. Good security feature.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by fmkgb
The only other hotel I've seen that in is Sheraton Nanjing. Good security feature.
they've got the same system at the Marriot New Orleans. Punch in the floor your going to and it tells you what elevator to enter. Wierd but good security
xxdboixx likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
since you don't need to use your key card to use the lifts I don't see anything secure about it

Originally Posted by fmkgb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.