Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Guest relations: [email protected]
Guest services: [email protected]

Half of the rooms post-renovation have desks; half of the rooms do not. If a desk is important to you, request it in your reservation or at check-in.
Print Wikipost

Amsterdam Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrRuffles
There was a small seating area (hence the Junior Suite designation) with a padded chair and a small couch that proved difficult to get comfortable on. There was also a small round table that was perfect for holding a vase of flowers but not much else.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the detailed trip report. Sounds like you got one of the newly renovated rooms. I've stayed at this property 15 years running & I'm not certain I'm going to like them. When I'm there for a trade show I'm there for 8 days & having to partially live out of a suitcase because there are no closed drawers is not appealing.

Same w/ the cute sofa/table. When I emailed the property a couple of months ago I was told that half the rooms post-renovation have desks & half don't. I'll request one w/ a proper desk, although that won't help the shelving issue or badly positioned mirrors & lighting.
I had called up Marriott to ask for a request for a room with a desk to be added to my reservation, but I have no way of verifying if it actually made it. When I checked in, they mentioned they'd upgraded me to something or other, and I asked if the room had a desk, and they said it didn't have a desk but did have a sofa with a table and that the table should be the right height for working with a laptop and they verified that there were outlets there, so I agreed to stay with that room. The curved 90-degree sofa seemed like it would only seat 2 comfortably, 3 tightly. The table was fine enough for both my laptop and my universal power supply (with phone charger) and phone. The outlet was above one end of the sofa, so since I was by myself, it was no problem to use it, but if the sofa was used for conferencing as it seemingly might designed, then access to the outlets might be problematic. (Though, of course, a conventional room with a desk would have no place for conferencing at all, outlets in the way or not.)

I have no idea what category of room i actually got, but it didn't seem like any kind of suite at all. (In fact, it wasn't clear me what was an upgrade about it, but then I never saw any other rooms at the hotel.)

I was only there for 2.5 days (3 nights), and I'm used to living out of a suitcase (other than using hangers) for even 3 or 4 night stays, so I don't remember whether there was shelving or drawers or what. I did not notice any problem, though, with a mirror behind hangers.

The lounge was fine, though like everywhere else in Netherlands (including where I had to pay for a breakfast buffet at other hotels) the scrambled eggs at breakfast looked dried out and excessively uniform and didn't resemble real eggs to me, so I just stuck to the hardboiled ones. and orange juice tasted "cooked" to me. (Of course, I've run into the same "lackluster" breakfast issues at some USA Marriott lounges too, though at USA lounges they don't tend to always have hardboiled eggs as an alternate.)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Marriott Full Service Amsterdam

I am returning next month wondering since the remodel they they change the Executive Lounge or is it still it's wonderful self ? That was one of the great things about this location

Thanks for any help
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Have asked the mod to merge this w/ the property thread so the property reports stay all in one thread, which makes it easier for FTers to catch up on all things AMS Marriott

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:26 am

Have asked the mod to merge this w/ the property thread so the property reports stay all in one thread, which makes it easier for FTers to catch up on all things AMS Marriott

Cheers.
^
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheers.
A noble thought , but when I just scrolled up and found that the previous post in this thread was mine from Apr 2016 , I realized that since then 100% of the discussions about this hotel have been in:

rather than in this thread. And so there, rather than here, would be where the most recent discussions of the lounge would likely be found.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:03 pm

Thanks for the detailed trip report. Sounds like you got one of the newly renovated rooms. I've stayed at this property 15 years running & I'm not certain I'm going to like them. When I'm there for a trade show I'm there for 8 days & having to partially live out of a suitcase because there are no closed drawers is not appealing.

Same w/ the cute sofa/table. When I emailed the property a couple of months ago I was told that half the rooms post-renovation have desks & half don't. I'll request one w/ a proper desk, although that won't help the shelving issue or badly positioned mirrors & lighting.

Since the exec lounge moved to the ground floor a few years ago, technically non of the floors are executive level but each has exec rooms (probably a few more toiletries and/or robes in those rooms).

I do love the staff at the property!

Cheers.
I also agree with you regarding the rooms they have the "look" of the updated design here in the US, austere "Chic" I rather liked to older rooms. Will see when we get there in Dec. Actually I am hoping the Executive Lounge AKA M is functioning the same as usual
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
A noble thought , but when I just scrolled up and found that the previous post in this thread was mine from Apr 2016 , I realized that since then 100% of the discussions about this hotel have been in:

rather than in this thread. And so there, rather than here, would be where the most recent discussions of the lounge would likely be found.
I'm sure the mod would appreciate you giving him a heads up on which posts in the family thread should be moved to this thread

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:58 pm
DH

Amsterdam Marriott is now a Category 9 property and I forgot to transfer SPG points before the increase.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by DH
Amsterdam Marriott is now a Category 9 property and I forgot to transfer SPG points before the increase.

I saw that as well. While it is one of my favorite Marriott hotels not sure it qualifies for Cat 9. The remodel was well executed and the executive lounge remains as it has been
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
I've stayed at this hotel probably a half dozen times.

I prefer the renaissance as they usually are able to give me a better upgrades and I like the location better. Probably get an upgrade 9/10 times at the Renaissance and 5/10 at the Marriott. Both locations are great.

Both lounges are nothing special.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by joesmoe
I've stayed at this hotel probably a half dozen times.

I prefer the renaissance as they usually are able to give me a better upgrades and I like the location better. Probably get an upgrade 9/10 times at the Renaissance and 5/10 at the Marriott. Both locations are great.

I disagree. I believe the Marriott Amsterdam Lounge to be one of the better ones in the system.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I disagree. I believe the Marriott Amsterdam Lounge to be one of the better ones in the system.
X2 the lounge at the Marriott is indeed one of the best in the system constantly over the last ten years.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by joesmoe

I'm no fan of boring Marriott, but gave this property a try and I will admit the Amsterdam Marriott lounge was very nice in terms of quality offerings as well as service from the staff member keeping things tidy and coming around to warn when she was closing up. I appreciated the extended hours too.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'm no fan of boring Marriott, but gave this property a try and I will admit the Amsterdam Marriott lounge was very nice in terms of quality offerings as well as service from the staff member keeping things tidy and coming around to warn when she was closing up. I appreciated the extended hours too.
good. This has always been a favorite spot for me. Especially when your coming out of Africa landing at 5am by the time you get tot the hotel the lounge is open and serving food!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49
good. This has always been a favorite spot for me. Especially when your coming out of Africa landing at 5am by the time you get tot the hotel the lounge is open and serving food!
I can't remember when the Ren lounge opens, but aren't most Marriott lounges open by 6 or 6:30 am for breakfast anyway? I suppose you could be at the Marriott by 5:45-6:00 am, so maybe there is a small gap at the Ren.

The lounge at the Ren certainly doesn't compare to the ones in Asia, but I find it good enough for breakfast and a pre-dinner cocktail. For me, being close to Centraal Station and the Jordaan wins out when I'm in Amsterdam, but there are benefits to both locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.