Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe Sampler

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I redeemed points for a ES before December 31, 2008. I made my reservations on March 1, 2009 for Aug/Sep 2009 using the ES certs. PM or email Marriott Concierge. He should be able to uyse them, they are certs for any hotel in Europe and are good until the expiration date. Maybe they didn't understand that he already has the certs.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:45 am

My situation is similar. I got the European Sampler on 30 December 2008, and reserved the rooms on 15 April 2009 for stays in September 2009. I called the Platinum number, and the CSR booked the reservations with no problem. She even made sure the proper notation was made so they knew I was using the ES certificates and didn't automatically order award certificates for the reservations.

No muss, no fuss.

craz, it looks as though your friend got bad info. If he's elite with Marriott Rewards, suggest that he use that phone number, otherwise he should call Marriott Reservations (800-899-7235 works for me) and hope he gets someone knowledgeable.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:39 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Good Morning,

The EU cannot be ordered, but can be used if already in the Elite Members account.

You have received incorrect information, follow the advice given above and contact our Elite Lines to help with your booking.

Regards,

Kate
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Update

thanks everyone for the input

My friend did call the Plat desk today and they started to say everything he was told yesterday, then he made it a point to let them know he has the paper certs & he only needs the res to be made, and to be noted taht he using the ES.

Done 2 nights In Rome @ The Flora in 2 weeks time
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Watch your accounts very carefully if you have Hopper stays booked!!! 160,000 points deducted today for a 4 night stay at London County Hall in Septmeber which was booked with a EU Hopper. This was clearly noted on the reservation and they still pulled the points.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Same thing happened to me yesterday morning for an upcoming Euro Hopper stay at RCC at the end of August, even though back in March I booked it directly with Plat Guest Services and they said the paper certificates were noted. So yesterday morning after receiving a new email informing me of my upcoming award stay, I went out to marriott.com and checked my balance. Sure enough 80,000 points deducted from my account. I then called Plat Guest Services and had them redeposit the points and fix the reservation I had them do the same for my Paris CE res which immediately follows the RCC stay. So everything was good to go. NOT!

Later yesterday afternoon I received another new email for my upcoming Euro Hopper Paris CE stay. I checked my account again and had 160000 points deducted for the stay I had just confirmed with Plat Guest Services in the morning. The PLat CSR fixed the res again and redeposited the points. At the end of my call, the Plat Guest Services CSR asked if I would be willing to do a short survey... I said sure.

I did the survey and gave low ratings (3 out of 9). At the end of the survey when asked to record a message, I made sure to tell them that the low ratings had nothing to do with the CSR (who was very helpful), but was for their failed IT program that can't keep track of simple award reservations.

Not that anything I say will make any difference in the way Marriott IT doesn't do their job. If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious... I have been complaining about their slacker IT department and lack of testing ever since they did their major IT web site and reservations software downgrade back in August 2008. LOL, somethings just do not change. At least Marriott IT is living down to their reputation. Now a lot of things on their web site work, but this one has been a PITA for 2 years now.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is pretty laughable. I have a Sherbourne stay in Dublin immediately following the London stay. The rep I spoke with says she fixed that one too, but I will not be shocked if points are deducted for that one in the next few days.

Edited to add, Stop the madness. I just received the following email update regarding my County Hall stay:

Special request(s):
• •2 Double Beds, Guaranteed
• •Non-Smoking Room, Guaranteed
• •Certificate Rqd At Checkin, Request Noted

Reward Description Points
14EH ELITE ONLY EUROPEAN HOPPER
Reward certificate number: XXXX0686 150,000
Total points for stay 450,000
Summary of Room Charges Cost per night per room
Friday, September 4, 2009 - Tuesday, September 8, 2009 ( 4 nights )
Marriott Rewards Redemption
• Using your points will cover your room charge and tax, and no additional service charges or resort fees will be applied.
• Off-site parking, fee: 35 GBP daily
• Valet parking, fee: 30 GBP daily

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Aug 11, 2009 at 7:55 pm
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:26 am

As I noted earlier in this thread, I redeemed points for the European Sampler on 30 December 2008, and reserved the rooms on 15 April 2009 for stays in September 2009. At the time the reservations were made, I received e-mails from Marriott confirming the reservations and the details.

Last week I received (unsolicited) notifications from Marriott as to all three reservations. I checked against the e-mails I received when I made the reservations, and the details all seem unchanged. Dates and reservation numbers match.

Based on this thread, I immediately checked my account, fearing they had deducted another 150,000 points, but all was well -- no additional deductions.

I know Marriott has begun sending out "reminder" e-mails about five days before a reserved stay is to commence, but since the stays are for a month from now, I doubt that's the explanation in this case.

Anyone have any ideas why the new e-mails last week?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
As posted in another thread (which I thought was being merged with this one). Upshot of my story is after four days worth of phone calls which I thought had finally gotten resolved....46,000 points mysteriously disappeared from my account again. Definitely the most mind-boggling, annoying, and frustrating experience of my 16 years' MR experience.....

[I]'ve just concluded (hopefully) a situation where points were deducted before and after a stay using a paper cert.

Let me say that my situation was successfully resolved. At least I think so. That's because I thought it had been resolved more than three months ago...but then found out last week that it was not.

To explain....

After a couple of phone calls in December before speaking with someone who could actually help me and answer my questions, I went ahead and ordered a Euro-Hopper package of paper certificates. I booked two nights at CE in Paris and five nights at London GS. Trip to take place the week ending April and beginning May.

In fairness, this was during a time when the
Euro-Hopper was about to be phased out and when the MR program was undergoing major structural changes. Thus...ample room for confusion.

Somewhere around February or March....points were deducted from my account for my trip. When I noticed this, I called MR and informed them that I already had paper certs. OOPS! No problem...points put back in.

Fast forward to my stay as scheduled. Flawless at both hotels. Presented appropriate certs with no hassles or questions asked. End of story....NOT!

I noticed the weekend before last that that 80,000 points came out of my account for "two nights Cat 8". Didn't say where, when, or why. 80,000 points drained for no apparent reason, have a nice day.

So....I called MR Monday of last week and thus began a four-day chain of events including being put on hold, being transferred to guest services, being transferred to reservations, having my call disconnected, having one call not returned when promised, and at one point, having my phone battery go dead after a fruitless 74-minute "episode" (spent mostly on hold).

I had expected the matter to be explained and resolved in one five minute call!

The initial explanation was relatively simple. Paris CE had charged me for my two night's there at the end of April. That's apparently because for some reason all three of my certs had been applied to the London hotel. That's fine, but nobody could explain how seven nights worth of certs got applied for a five night stay. And never mind that I turned in one of the certs in Paris. (It is perhaps worth noting here that both of these hotels are franchised to the same owner).

Are you still with me? Anyway, I was essentially told by MR that the hotels would have to be contacted individually....blah, blah, blah.

Okay....fast forward again to last Thursday. Checked my account and discovered that 46,000 of my missing 80,000 had been put back! Say what??? Called MR and was told that the London hotel had put these into my account.

So let me see if I got this straight. One hotel comes along and removes my rightfully earned points from out of the blue. Then along comes a different hotel that puts points back in....but not as many as went out in the first place.

Before I had a chance to watch this nonsense unfold further, the MR rep I was talking to put the "other" 34,000 points back into my account. So that's how it ended......maybe!/
I]

As I indicated....not so fast....more points removed from the account at some point last week!!!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Last week I received (unsolicited) notifications from Marriott as to all three reservations. I checked against the e-mails I received when I made the reservations, and the details all seem unchanged. Dates and reservation numbers match.

I know Marriott has begun sending out "reminder" e-mails about five days before a reserved stay is to commence, but since the stays are for a month from now, I doubt that's the explanation in this case.

Anyone have any ideas why the new e-mails last week?
I have 2 weeks worth of ES stays coming up starting next week. I also received the reconfirmation emails over a week ago and wondered if the account would get hit -- it did not, and was nice to get the email to start the vacation vibes
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
To bad Marriott got rid of the ES. I got the coupons 12/31/08 and just got back from stays at the Marriott Amsterdam, Ren Chancery Court in London, and the Monaco Marriott. Great deal for 150k points.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
similar situation just this week

Had the County Hall property for 3 nights and CE for 4 in Sept. Recieved new confirms from each. Looked like the were taking points rather than using certs that I hold. Called Plat desk and they said all was in order!! Seems that I better watch these..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.