Europe Sampler

Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
Europe Sampler

My wife and I are headed to Europe in April and we want to take advantage of the Europe Sampler. On Marriott's Web site it says the award expires on Dec. 31.

Does that mean we have to use the certificates by Dec. 31, or that we have to redeem our points by then?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
You can order up to Dec 31 and it will be valid for 12 months from date of issue. Be aware that after Dec 31, this sort of award is being discontinued but if you order one before this date, you will be able to use it at hotels which are being elevated to the new Cat 8, providing you can reserve a Standard Award stay for your dates.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
Thank you, Glenn.

I've found standard award availability in Dublin, London and Paris, so I should be set.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
It probably would be best to book this without delay.
Awards for next year are going to be scarce as many loyal Marriott(and soon to be ex Marriott customers)are rushing to book awards before the axe falls on Jan.15th 2009
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
It probably would be best to book this without delay.
Awards for next year are going to be scarce as many loyal Marriott(and soon to be ex Marriott customers)are rushing to book awards before the axe falls on Jan.15th 2009
I agree 100%
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Are these paper certificates? And do they have an expiration date on them?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by GlennTheBaker
Be aware that after Dec 31, this sort of award is being discontinued but if you order one before this date, you will be able to use it at hotels which are being elevated to the new Cat 8
Glenn....Has this been officially announced? If so I may have overlooked it in all of the other buzz concerning this "enhancement". Bad news for me. (And yet another "exciting improvement", which for me turns out to be anything but!)
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Are these paper certificates? And do they have an expiration date on them?
Yes, they are paper certificates (3-2-2) and have an expiration date on them. Just used them last month.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cyberdad
Glenn....Has this been officially announced? If so I may have overlooked it in all of the other buzz concerning this "enhancement". Bad news for me. (And yet another "exciting improvement", which for me turns out to be anything but!)
Yes, Marriott Concierge has already announced that the European sampler will be discontinued.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Looking at using cashing in points for the Europe Sampler. Just to confirm, in addition to the 7 night hotel certificate, I will receive 50k in ff miles credited to my airline account of choice (United). Plus a 25% cert off of Hertz rental. More interested in the 50k points going to my United account. How soon do they post to the account?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:48 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
Originally Posted by dlwalt
Looking at using cashing in points for the Europe Sampler. Just to confirm, in addition to the 7 night hotel certificate, I will receive 50k in ff miles credited to my airline account of choice (United). Plus a 25% cert off of Hertz rental. More interested in the 50k points going to my United account. How soon do they post to the account?
The Euro Hopper award (EH14) does not work with a travel package. If you book the travel package and receive a 7 night certificate, all 7 nights must be consecutive at the same property. You can't receive air miles with United with a Euro Hopper award. Also, this award is for elites only. If you don't have elite status, you won't be able to find it online.

If you book a travel package prior to Jan. 15, 2009, the 7 night certificate must be used within one year and can no longer be extended. Some hotel catagories may change in 2009 so make your reservations prior to Jan. 15 if possible.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by dlwalt
How soon do they post to the account?
As noted above, the European Sampler doesn't come with miles.

With the travel packages (nights + miles) the miles usually post within a couple days, in my experience. However, I've had mine deposited to my American AAdvantage account, so it's possible United may be delayed. I have no reason to think so, though.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
European Sampler - Marriott Concierge.

Originally Posted by GrizShel
MARRIOTT NEW AND OLD REWARDS PACKAGES POINT REQUIREMENTS 2009

SAMPLER / HOPPER AWARDS[/COLO 7- Night Sampler or Hopper packages (Elite members only)[/COLOR]

2+2+3 package (Hawaii combo or Europe combo)
150,000 points. Good virtually any property, however availability is restricted more under the old program.
BIG ADVANTAGE: If ordered in 2008, this will have a 1 year window in 2009 where it will be very flexible (you can search for availability throughout 2009; but remember this is only in Europe or Hawaii).

Conclusion: If you think you can use the Hopper anywhere in Hawaii or in high-demand locations in Europe anytime before 12/31/09, then you should DEFINITELY order one.
I agree that the European Sampler is an excellent choice provided that you find availability at some of the most demanded cat.7 hotels. So far, I can't find any at Rome or Capri for my dates.

1. Should I order the Sampler Package anyway assuming that availability will open after Jan.15th?
2. If one of those hotels currently offers Stay Anytime awards, can I book it assuming that such room should be available as Standard Reward after Jan.15th and my certificate will cover it?
3. I also understand that if I return all three certificates I have a full refund of my points, so there is no risk to give this a try, am I right?

Thanks for your prompt response.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
While we are waiting for MC to respond, the above quote is of course my interpretation only and you are right to request responses to your questions from the Marriott Concierge. I would think you are 98% correct in your surmisals (there is a chance you won't get what you want next year, but it is suppose to be only a small chance), but we'll see what they say. If my recollection is correct however, the 2 properties you mention will be among a handful that can more significantly restrict availability for a few peak dates (don't have time to find the link to MC's post on this at the moment).
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
So far, I can't find any at Rome or Capri for my dates.
I'm pretty sure Capri, and maybe Rome also are "above the rules" for increasing award availability/no blackout dates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.