Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2001, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I stayed there on June 4. Nice Concierge floor and lounge. Not a spectacular location, but accessible by bus (#4) from Kowloon stop on the airport train. Most rooms have a poor view. No real complaints.

Bruce
Old Jul 17, 2001, 10:58 am
Original Member

It is the best value of the three Marriott properties in the area. It is a long walk going to the subway station, but located in the best tourist shopping region.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 7:25 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
i checked, for 12/27 till 1/1/02, Kowloon Renaissance's rate is much lower than that of Hong Kong JW Marriott

when it is too good to be true, kinda makes one wonder....
Old Jul 19, 2001, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The JW is a much nicer hotel in a better location. I've stayed there three times. But if the price differential is large enough -- and you're paying -- I would choose the Renaissance.

Bruce
Old Jul 19, 2001, 8:51 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
yes, Bruce, the difference is substantial, e.g. @ JW, per room is 1950HKD and Renaissance Kowloon is only 980HKD!

two rooms for five nights out of my own pocket, Renaissance it is!

thanks!

belle
Old Nov 12, 2001, 8:41 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Questions re Hong Kong JW Mariott...

Hi,

I got a couple of questions about JW Mariott in Hong Kong.
- Has anyone ever taken the hotel limo from the airport? Was it worth it (I think about $90 USD)??
- Does it have an executive lounge that is open on weekends, if I can swing a upgrade to that level?

Thanks!

P.S. Some folks might notice I'm asking the same thing over in Hilton forum--I'm just trying to decide between this hotel and the other one. :-)

[This message has been edited by UA_Eagle (edited 11-12-2001).]
Old Nov 12, 2001, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I didn't take the airport limo in March, but a regular taxi was easy enough. The separate destination lines are well marked (and the taxis color coded!). There was also a "helper" to give drivers the hotel names in Chinese. Taxi was about $50 each way.

The lounge offers a -moderately- obstructed view of the harbor and an excellent breakfast and hors d'oeuvre selection. I was comped to exec level with Marr Gold.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Nov 13, 2001, 11:38 am
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
This is a great hotel, the staff is really great. The bar rocks at nite

This hotel was just rated one of the best in HK, by one of the travel magazines, sorry, I do not remember which one.

The club level is open on weekends and they serve reasonable breakfast and snacks.

Go for the upgrade.
Old Nov 13, 2001, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Hi,

I always take the hotel car - imho worth it if you have luggage, etc. that you don't want to deal with though most people I know do the airport train. I still prefer the hotel car.

Great property, though so is the Conrad. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 14, 2001, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
I've gone to/from the JW by just about every means possible. The hotel car is great, if you don't mind spending the money that way. Last time I took it, I think it was a Mercedes S500 or something...great and comfortable ride. Plus, the driver pulled right up to the doors at HKG, helped me to the check-in counter, and then wheeled my luggage all the way over to the security check. All completely unnecessary, but still very nice.

I usually treat myself by doing that one way and then taking the Airport Express train and connecting bus service the other. Somehow, I rationalize spending the money that way.

The lounge and exec. floors are great, IMHO. Last time I got a nice corner room on the floor just upstairs from the lounge. Very nice with great service (which you will find no matter what room you are in). The lounge is particularly nice with a healthy selection of food and drinks morning, noon, and night. You can make a meal of it, but that would be a shame given all of the great restaurants nearby. But it's nice to know that it's an option. And the view is, as already noted, pretty nice.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyGlobal:
I've gone to/from the JW by just about every means possible. The hotel car is great, if you don't mind spending the money that way. Last time I took it, I think it was a Mercedes S500 or something...great and comfortable ride. Plus, the driver pulled right up to the doors at HKG, helped me to the check-in counter, and then wheeled my luggage all the way over to the security check. All completely unnecessary, but still very nice.

I usually treat myself by doing that one way and then taking the Airport Express train and connecting bus service the other. Somehow, I rationalize spending the money that way.

The lounge and exec. floors are great, IMHO. Last time I got a nice corner room on the floor just upstairs from the lounge. Very nice with great service (which you will find no matter what room you are in). The lounge is particularly nice with a healthy selection of food and drinks morning, noon, and night. You can make a meal of it, but that would be a shame given all of the great restaurants nearby. But it's nice to know that it's an option. And the view is, as already noted, pretty nice.

Enjoy your trip.
</font>
Sounds great. That's what I was thinking of--taking the limo from the airport to the hotel and then take the train when I leave HKG.

BTW, if there are rooms, do I have any chance, as a non-elite member of Mariott Rewards, of getting a complimentary upgrade to Exec level? Or am I dreaming? ;-)

Thanks again!
Old Nov 20, 2001, 7:05 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Another "yeah" vote for the JW Ex Lounge!
Old Nov 21, 2001, 9:59 am

I am confused about this hotel (at which I've never stayed): specifically, why it doesn't seem to have good views.

The hotel is adjacent to the promenade, and it's between the Shangri-La and ex-Regent, both of which have spectacular views of the harbour, at least from the rooms I've been in.

So what's the story with the Renaissance? Did the recent (or maybe ongoing) construction change anything with respect to roomos with a harbour view?
Old Nov 21, 2001, 4:12 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA UA1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold
Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:
I am confused about this hotel (at which I've never stayed): specifically, why it doesn't seem to have good views.

The hotel is adjacent to the promenade, and it's between the Shangri-La and ex-Regent, both of which have spectacular views of the harbour, at least from the rooms I've been in.

So what's the story with the Renaissance? Did the recent (or maybe ongoing) construction change anything with respect to roomos with a harbour view?
</font>
The hotel is on the harbour but all the harbour facing rooms are not part of the hotel - are private residences/condo's.

They have refurbished it nicely from previous days - have stayed there about 17 nights since Sept. For the price differential I would definitely stay there.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 5:36 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
BEST PROPERTY IN HONG KONG ??

Which hotel would you stay at in Hong Kong going with the wife for 4 nights??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.