Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton - points question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles

I'm reasonably new to Marriott / Ritz Carlton, being an SPG Lifetime Plat / 100 refugee...

I recently stayed at a Ritz Carlton hotel. I understand that I do not get Marriott points for anything other than the 'room' element.

When my points for the stay posted (much quicker than with SPG, I might add!), I noticed the points I was awarded were significantly lower than what I expected.

On querying with the hotel, I was informed that my rate included breakfast for two and the hotel had therefore deducted USD $60 off the daily rate and only the remainder was what it used to calculate the 'room' rate for points purposes.

Is this standard practice?

Thanks in advance!

/d'Yquem
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I vaguely remember something like that.

What you might want to try is contact cust service, tell them your points didn't post properly for the room rate, tell them you can email or fax the folio, & ask them to credit you the corrected points. Don't mention the breakfast issue at all. Unless the folio mentions brekkie split out (not likely), they may just post the difference. Best case, yes. Worst case, no.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I routinely had this happen at the RC San Juan when staying on a corporate rate that included free pressing of two items a day.

Whether or not I used the benefit, $14 was deducted on a daily basis from the rate on which points were calculated.

There was never a separate line item on my bill for the pressing service (whether I used it or not).

That's the only property where I've experienced the issue.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I used to have the same issue at some CYs I stayed at. They had a really nice rate that included dinner at a local steakhouse or movie tickets. They used to do the same thing and take out a set amount of the daily rate that part of the rate wasn't for the room.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:55 am

How chintzy of the Ritz to dock your points! That's ridic.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Same thing happens each and every time I stay at RC White Plains, NY. I book through Amex and they deduct the breakfast, as they consider it a package, which it is not I usually need to explain this to customer service and they usually fix without problem. Here and there, it does turn into an argument with customer service.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:09 pm

wow, just ran into this "issue", what a mess. stayed at the RC bal harbour. the hotel submitted my points-earning revenue to Marriott by subtracting out all credits i received (and did NOT add spend ancillary spend, which exceeded the credits), resulting in a low amount of points. the first phone agent then said that my spend should be added into calculate the proper revenue (which i didn't argue with, b/c it could only result in extra points), but he had trouble making sense of my folio, so i was transferred to another agent, who correctly said that the points should be calculated on room rate, plain and simple....and i don't blame the initial agent for his confusion, my simple reservation resulted in multiple folios because the front desk insisted that it had no way of putting certain charges together with the room rates and certain other charges. RC + Marriott really need some new tech in terms of how RC folios are composed and how points are posted!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
I really don't understand this, nor why RC has their own loyalty programme. I understand that RC is fully-owned by Marriott. It's pretty poor customer experience to deny points for incidentals as a result of staying in one Marriott brand than another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.