Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interview Questions for Ed French

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimBobDuggarIsABusyMan
OPerator Error..... Been busy, but working on finalizing it. It should be up by this time next week.
Thanks, Jim bob! Hope there are some good positive surprises in there!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
FYI, I'm in a holding pattern on posting the interview right now. The interview was over the phone, so I sent a draft, along with some additional questions to Ed, so that I insure I accurately captured his responses.

So Mr. French, if you happen to read this.... please respond back to me.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
This is never going to come out

I have little faith that the information will ever see the light of day.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hnewman
I have little faith that the information will ever see the light of day.
I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Of course the OP might want to call Mr. French's office next week to ask him to review everything, vs hoping he's reading the thread

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Exclamation

One must honor their word so if he was said he was going to do such then he needs to give the interview. ASAP
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by tatmtr7
One must honor their word so if he was said he was going to do such then he needs to give the interview. ASAP
or what? Banish the OP from FT?

Let's give the OP a little time to sort it out, I think we'll all be grateful in the end.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
Guess you missed the part about him waiting on Ed French to get back to him on some things

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Yes,,,because we all know how well Ed French's office handles"getting back to us"
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Of course the OP might want to call Mr. French's office next week to ask him to review everything, vs hoping he's reading the thread

Cheers.
Already done. Emailed him twice, called him and left a message. Planning to go ahead and post within a week or so, feedback or no feedback.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:22 am

Already done. Emailed him twice, called him and left a message. Planning to go ahead and post within a week or so, feedback or no feedback.
Thanks for the update. Look forward to your post in the next week or so.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Just published this post, on my blog:
Ed French Interview

Last edited by JimBobDuggarIsABusyMan; Sep 27, 2012 at 2:45 am
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:03 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Just published this post, on my blog:
Ed French Interview
Not bad. He manages to skirt around some of the questions by saying that they are "evaluating" other options. Who knows how long that will take. Also, I'm curious as to what they will be changing about the lifetime status qualifications.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
what is this 'brass tax' of which you speak? Is this yet more devaluation of the programme?

Brass tacks?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
As I figured, he has provided no new information and danced around the issues important to elites. In a nutshell:

• Breakfast for elites at Courtyard/Resorts/7 days a week... too expensive, evaluating options, meaning its not going to happen.
  • Confirmed BOGO is dead (we already knew that) and there will not be a replacement anytime soon.
  • Confirmed Suite Upgrades - danced around this one, meaning its not going to happen.
  • Marriott's version of Cash + Points, stated members wanted the ability to book an award room + paid room on the same ressie over a program similar to Starwood's. (Not sure which members they talked to about this...) Evaluated option similar to Starwood and this is something they have analyzed, but just cant afford this as a business.
  • Lifetime Status - they have some greatnews in the coming months about this program. Great for who? Whenever Ed French says there is great news, watch out because it usually means Elites are not going to like it!

I am not surprised by anything said in the interview. There is nothing new, and its the same old MR line found on MR Insiders.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:26 am

I don't understand this part re: the BOGOS...

"In the end, it’s awfully hard to justify a 50% discount, especially when most elites did not know about them. And, of those that did, only a very small number redeemed them." If most didn't know about BOGOs and not that many redeemed them, then wouldn't that be a reason to keep them - ie, hey we're offering you this great bennie (knowing most of you won't take us up on it). But then he said the hotels were upset & stopped accepting them, which implies they were being used.

I seriously doubt most members would ask for a combine cash+points ala Marriott over a cash+points ala Starwood.

I do hope that the 'new brands' that offer full-service get added to the list of those that earn points for incidentals.

Overall, it's a decent interview but not an unexpected one in terms of what is new/what they're doing/going to change.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.