Wiki Posts
Search

Interview Questions for Ed French

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Interview Questions for Ed French

UPDATE: The interview has been published on my blog. Enjoy!
Ed French Interview

Maybe a tad late, but worth a shot:

I will be interviewing Ed French, head of the Marriott Rewards program, for my blog tomorrow morning. I already have a handful of questions prepared, but I will take requests. What questions do you want to me to ask?

19 and Counting,
JBDIABM

Last edited by JimBobDuggarIsABusyMan; Sep 27, 2012 at 2:35 am Reason: Added Link to Post
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Here are the questions I have come up with:

1. Tell me a little about yourself. You worked for American Airlines previously, how did that prepare you?

2. What do you enjoy about working for Marriott?

3. What is unique about the Marriott Rewards program?

4. What is your favorite Marriott property/favorite brand?

5. How do you justify the 50-night Gold/75-night Platinum requirements? I mean, with some other programs, I can reach top-tier with a mere 25 stays.

6. It’s good to see that Marriott has added suite upgrades as a benefit to Gold and Platinum members, although based on my experience this has been going on for a while. How come there are no confirmed suite upgrades, besides using points?

7. Have you ever thought about adding points & cash awards, like for example, Starwood has?

8. It is good to see Marriott giving their elite members breakfast benefits when club lounges are not open on the weekends. But the terms and conditions state that resort properties do not have to honor this. What is your reason behind this?

9. Any chance of updating the missing stay request process to an electronic one, rather than having to mail or fax in the receipt?

10. Maybe this means I am picky, but Marriott seems very good at dealing with customer disputes and resolution. What is your secret?

11. Are there any things you think the program could do to do improve itself?

12. What do may members not realize about the program that perhaps they should?

13. What is the reason for the lack, at least stated, of lounge access/breakfast for elites when staying at resorts?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Originally Posted by JimBobDuggarIsABusyMan
9. Any chance of updating the missing stay request process to an electronic one, rather than having to mail or fax in the receipt?
It can already be done electronically.

And as you already said, when will elites get breakfast in resorts, on weekends, in Courtyards and AC Hotels.

Where are BOGOs.

Why are split "sampler" awards (e.g., Europe 2+2+3 nights) gone and will they return.

When will they stop demolishing their website (although that's a bit off topic).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Marriott promotions are highly similar, while other chains offer more variety. Why have you decided to have such consistency?

Arguably the "best" option in most promotions, free nights, appears to be given only to infrequent guests. Higher tier members get point bonuses that can be considered less valuable. Is this a question of value, a marketing decision, or something else?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
The All-inclusive package coupled with the Travel Package was an excellent way for MR members to circumvent the issue that breakfast was not included at certain resorts. Any chance to re-instate the AI package?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
When will we see openings not announcements for hotels in topical places like the Maldives and Fiji

Thanks

Henry
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Any plans for properties in Croatia? How about Cyprus?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
points for incidentals at Courtyard

With many Courtyards offering two meals a day, why can you not get points for incidental charges? This makes no sense. It is a win-win where guests are likely to use more of the on-site services if points were available for doing so.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
7. Have you ever thought about adding points & cash awards, like for example, Starwood has?
If he says they just added this, tell him that their new Cash and Points just allows member to do what they have been able to do all along by making separate bakc-to-back reservations. Their new C&P is nothing like their competitions and if he tries to pass it off as the same educate him.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:42 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

8. It is good to see Marriott giving their elite members breakfast benefits when club lounges are not open on the weekends. But the terms and conditions state that resort properties do not have to honor this. What is your reason behind this?
To clarify, when US-domestic properties give elite members breakfast benefits on the weekends when the lounges are closed, they are going above and beyond the T&Cs. Perhaps you can ask for his justification on why breakfast is never guaranteed on the weekends in the US.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:13 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Their new C&P is nothing like their competitions and if he tries to pass it off as the same educate him.
I might add that their use of the term C&Ps is extremely misleading considering two of their biggest competitors (Hilton and Starwood) both use that term, but in completely different ways (i.e. to actually offer a true benefit.)

Originally Posted by dw
Perhaps you can ask for his justification on why breakfast is never guaranteed on the weekends in the US.
And again, when compared to two of their biggest competitors (Hilton and Starwood), both offer top level elites breakfasts at all hotels, 7 days a week.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for asking. Please provide a link when your blog interview is live.

I think most have covered the issues I'd want asked.

The property questions aren't Marriott Rewards/Ed French's area, though, and if you have limited time/questions I'd focus on most of the other things mentioned in this thread.

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Free breakfast at CY for elites!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Why does Marriott choose seasonal promotions for members and not offer them the option to choose it themselves?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Just to reiterate, this is not accurate. Elites do not get guaranteed breakfast at most properties if the lounge is closed on the weekends (only outside of US).

My other question would be, what the **** is going on with BOGOs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.