Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1

the sense of entitlement by several FTers just continues to amaze me as they complain that they ONLY got their entitlements whether they paid rack rate/discounted, used points, used certs or were comp'ed and regardless of their status, or at times even no status, they just "want" and "demand" and complain when they "only" get what the property is required to provide them......

BTW, at times the Renaissance, especially during one of their "flash sales" is actually less then the nearby Courtyard (which in fact is a converted apartment building as opposed to a newly built hotel as the Renaissance is).... further, the CY is located at the end of a dead end street (for vehicles) thereby forcing the guests using a taxi to empty onto Rajadamri Rd, one of the busier streets in BKK, especially during rush hour.........at least at the Renaissance one could cross Ploenchit by sky-bridge to travel towards Sukhumvit as opposed to Rama 1......

Originally Posted by dfe
I don't quite understand why you expect to receive more than you are entitled to as a GOLD. You get a larger room and club access (just as I do as a Plat) at both the Ren and then CY--never a two room suite--what more are you looking for? Sounds like an over-entitled mentality.

I agree that traffic on Ploenchit is horrendous, but you can walk to BTS (one block) or walk up to the Erawan/Ratchadarmi intersection two blocks (if not too lazy) and get a taxi--but good luck that it will be any better going anywhere than Ploenchit at 4-8 PM.

Staying at the CY requires a walk (or tuk-tuk ride) to Ratchadarmi where traffic is not much better than Ploenchit. A couple of weeks ago coming into the CY at 2:30 PM I was stuck in a taxi on Ratchadarmi for over an hour just coming off Wireless Road (like 1 mile or less). So I disagree that the Ren is in a bad location. Traffic problems in BKK are simply a fact of life and you learn to adjust. If on business you plan well ahead--or if on holiday and no agenda what does it matter.

I also agree that the CY is a great value with G&P elites comp buffet breakfast at MoMo and lounge access (lite lounge--but great for the room night price).

Finally--where in the world do you get your pricing comparison? The Ren is only 500 -700 THB ($15-$20) more than the CY consistently--never, ever 2x. I stay at both very often at all times of the year and have never seen anything like what you are alleging on any of my bookings.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
+1

BTW, at times the Renaissance, especially during one of their "flash sales" is actually less then the nearby Courtyard (which in fact is a converted apartment building as opposed to a newly built hotel as the Renaissance is).... further, the CY is located at the end of a dead end street (for vehicles) thereby forcing the guests using a taxi to empty onto Rajadamri Rd, one of the busier streets in BKK, especially during rush hour.........at least at the Renaissance one could cross Ploenchit by sky-bridge to travel towards Sukhumvit as opposed to Rama 1......
I doubt it and would love to see you prove it. I have looked many times over the last 6 months and it has never even been close except if CY was close to sold out and had raised the rates on the few rooms left. So it is possible when looking last minute since CY is much smaller and can get to sold out status.

I routinely look 2-3 months in advance and have never seen this!! And I don't believe I ever will.

And as far as the entitlement comments, I simply stated that the CY routinely gives me the Buffet Breakfast in MoMo and Ren has never given it to me.

Just the facts and one of the things most people use in determining where to spend their own money!!!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:21 pm
Suspended

challenge accepted (damn this is gonna be hard !!)
all you need do is look at tomorrow night (14 Nov) -
Renaissance is Thb 5900
Courtyard is Thb 6000

and, as for your sense of entitlement, where in MRs does it require any Courtyard to provide G/Ps breakfast? since you only want to state facts - it doesn't, so when the CY provides you brekkie it's not an entitlement due and if and when they decide to take this perk away, what will you complain about then........

so, once again it's kapkap46 (-1) and dfe (+1).........

and, once again, as previously stated, during one of Ren's "flash sales" their rates are significantly better then the CYs......

Originally Posted by kapkap46
I doubt it and would love to see you prove it. I have looked many times over the last 6 months and it has never even been close except if CY was close to sold out and had raised the rates on the few rooms left. So it is possible when looking last minute since CY is much smaller and can get to sold out status.

I routinely look 2-3 months in advance and have never seen this!! And I don't believe I ever will.

And as far as the entitlement comments, I simply stated that the CY routinely gives me the Buffet Breakfast in MoMo and Ren has never given it to me.

Just the facts and one of the things most people use in determining where to spend their own money!!!

Last edited by BKKLEE; Nov 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:18 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
all you need do is look at tomorrow night (14 Nov) -
Renaissance is Thb 5900
Courtyard is Thb 6000

and, as for your sense of entitlement, where in MRs does it require any Courtyard to provide G/Ps breakfast? Fact - it doesn't, so when the CY provides you brekkie it's not an entitlement due and if and when they decide to take this perk away, what will you complain about then........

so, once again it's kapkap46 (-1) and dfe (+1).........

and, once again, as previously stated, during one of Ren's "flash sales" their rates are significantly better then the CYs......
Plus the Ren evening lounge offerings and service are far superior to the CY--not to fault the CY since it is one of the few CY's in the world that offers a lounge (even serving comp spirits), but my preference is certainly for the Ren on that basis. However I do split time between both the Ren and the CY for the trade-offs.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR GLD, HH GLD, SPG GLD
wow I'm shocked at how much better everyone likes the renaissance! I'm gold and was planning a trip to bangkok next year, and generally whenever I am in Asia I pick the Jw's because they are so good over there however the commentary here is certainly making me reconsider for Bangkok!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:01 pm
Suspended

unless you're looking for some low-class "ladies" of the evening, khatoeys or a stay with a significant # of third-world nationals, then the Ren is a much better choice ........

Originally Posted by worldtraveler1592
wow I'm shocked at how much better everyone likes the renaissance! I'm gold and was planning a trip to bangkok next year, and generally whenever I am in Asia I pick the Jw's because they are so good over there however the commentary here is certainly making me reconsider for Bangkok!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:40 pm

unless you're looking for some low-class "ladies" of the evening, khatoeys or a stay with a significant # of third-world nationals, then the Ren is a much better choice ........
Wow! that definitely makes me lean towards the Ren!! But what if we are there for sightseeing? which is the best for that, and keep in mind that the biggest thing for me is I would like to be near a sky train stop? and on a related note, how good is the sky train destination wise? I mean is it like HKG where it is cheap and incredibly convenient?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:45 pm
Suspended

leave the front door of the Ren and walk directly to the main road (2-minutes) - SkyTrain station located right there......

SkyTrain will take you to most places (and connects with the underground train in 2 places although its another concession so new ticket) except Wat Arun/Wat PraGow (temple/old palace area) but you can take the SkyTrain to Thaksin Bridge station and change to the tourist boat which will get you around ALL of the crazy traffic here and it a relaxing trip on the river........for easy use they even have an unlimited day-pass for around Thb100 ($3)...

Wow! that definitely makes me lean towards the Ren!! But what if we are there for sightseeing? which is the best for that, and keep in mind that the biggest thing for me is I would like to be near a sky train stop? and on a related note, how good is the sky train destination wise? I mean is it like HKG where it is cheap and incredibly convenient?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:54 pm

leave the front door of the Ren and walk directly to the main road (2-minutes) - SkyTrain station located right there......

SkyTrain will take you to most places (and connects with the underground train in 2 places although its another concession so new ticket) except Wat Arun/Wat PraGow (temple/old palace area) but you can take the SkyTrain to Thaksin Bridge station and change to the tourist boat which will get you around ALL of the crazy traffic here and it a relaxing trip on the river........for easy use they even have an unlimited day-pass for around Thb100 ($3)...
Alright that settles it then! and thank you very much for your help bkklee!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:01 pm
Suspended

enjoy your trip here........rains are almost about to stop and the humidity about to come down but still 35C outside right now (with no chance of snow!)......

December has public holidays on the 5th and 10th and X-mas is celebrated as it means shopping, shopping, shopping.......

Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:09 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
If you are interested in sightseeing the local delights nr the JW then 2 stops on the skytrain to Nana and head for Soi 4. if you have never seen the other side of BKK then from a curiosity viewpoint it's worth a look.

Everything BKKLEE describes - and worse!

You will then see why the Ren is an oasis of calm and streets ahead of the JW.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
December has public holidays on the 5th and 10th and X-mas is celebrated as it means shopping, shopping, shopping.......
December 5 is the king's birthday (born in 1927 in Cambridge, MA, surprisingly). But what's December 10?

Bruce
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
December 5 is the king's birthday (born in 1927 in Cambridge, MA, surprisingly). But what's December 10?

Bruce
10 Dec (Tue) Constitution Day
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Thanks!

Bruce
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beano HK
If you are interested in sightseeing the local delights nr the JW then 2 stops on the skytrain to Nana and head for Soi 4. if you have never seen the other side of BKK then from a curiosity viewpoint it's worth a look.

Everything BKKLEE describes - and worse!
Indeed. I find Soi 4 to be one of the most depressing places I have visited in Bangkok. Big pass on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.