Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveler1592
Wow! that definitely makes me lean towards the Ren!! But what if we are there for sightseeing? which is the best for that, and keep in mind that the biggest thing for me is I would like to be near a sky train stop? and on a related note, how good is the sky train destination wise? I mean is it like HKG where it is cheap and incredibly convenient?
I guess I am in the minority on this thread in that I prefer the JW. Agree that the BTS stop from the Ren is 2 min walk, but the BTS stop from the JW is a 5 min walk. Not a whole lot of difference.

I have always been treated extremely well at the JW (and to be fair, have been treated well at the Ren in my limited stays there). I find the rooms at the JW comfortable, the fitness center extensive, the lounge excellent. Maybe my wants/needs are pretty minimal, but JW seems to tick the boxes for myself.

I think the talk about the neighborhood around the JW being so much worse than around the Ren is a bit overblown. Is Soi 4 depressing? Yes. Just dont go down there. After you leave the JW, turn left instead of right on Sukhumvit. Or, just continue past Soi 4 on Sukhumvit to the offerings down at Asok, Thong Lor, etc.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastnortheast
I think the talk about the neighborhood around the JW being so much worse than around the Ren is a bit overblown. Is Soi 4 depressing? Yes. Just dont go down there. After you leave the JW, turn left instead of right on Sukhumvit. Or, just continue past Soi 4 on Sukhumvit to the offerings down at Asok, Thong Lor, etc.
Good advice. I do agree it is easily avoided.

Last edited by bdschobel; Nov 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm Reason: fixed coding
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
Rollaways at Ren

Anyone have experiences at the Ren getting a rollaway added (any cost?), to a studio suite? I'm gold with a reservation for a regular "double" room, and would like to ask for an upgrade, but also to get a rollaway..as I believe there are no sofabeds in the suites?

Any Golds also offered/asked for the option of upgrading to a larger 1BR or Executive suite using cash (as these type of comp. upgrades seem rare?)

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
and my vote is for the Ren as I've always been upgraded both as a G&P to a studio suite w lounge access vrs the JW where I've never rec'd an upgrade as a P (and will never be returning to, but for other reasons)....

Ren has a much better location as well IMO a much better clientel....
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
do I understand your post as you want a double upgrade from a std room to an exec suite comped because you're G ???

have never seen a rollaway in the studio suites and frankly I wouldn't think there was room for one.....

Originally Posted by hotstepper
Anyone have experiences at the Ren getting a rollaway added (any cost?), to a studio suite? I'm gold with a reservation for a regular "double" room, and would like to ask for an upgrade, but also to get a rollaway..as I believe there are no sofabeds in the suites?

Any Golds also offered/asked for the option of upgrading to a larger 1BR or Executive suite using cash (as these type of comp. upgrades seem rare?)
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
do I understand your post as you want a double upgrade from a std room to an exec suite comped because you're G ???

have never seen a rollaway in the studio suites and frankly I wouldn't think there was room for one.....
should work... I even got one squeezed in once (for free) in a corner room of the CY.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:02 am
Suspended

while a rollaway might fit into one of the corner studio suites (just slightly larger then the non-corner ones) as a plat I've run about 50-50 in being upgraded to both types, but to date never been upgraded higher......

Originally Posted by Chris26WI
should work... I even got one squeezed in once (for free) in a corner room of the CY.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by hotstepper

We have had 2 rollaways placed in our Renaissance Suite (is this the Jr. Suite?). One between the bed and the sitting area, and another on the other side by the window. Very clustered? Sure, but it worked and was okay for one night. We are Platinums and they were no additional charges. We booked as below:
Reservation Details

Confirmation Number: xxxxxxxx
Your hotel: Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Check-in: Thursday, April 4, 2013 (02:00 PM)
Check-out: Friday, April 5, 2013 (12:00 PM)
Room type: Deluxe room, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double
Number of rooms: 1
Guests per room: 2
Guest name: Kalboz
Reservation confirmed: Thursday, March 28, 2013 (01:37:00 GMT)
Guarantee method: Credit card guarantee, Visa

Special request(s):

• 1 King Bed, Guaranteed
• Non-Smoking Room, Guaranteed
• Extra Towels, Request Noted
• Feather Free Room, Request Noted
• Rollaway Bed, Request Noted
• High Floor Room, Request Noted
• I.D. Required, Request Noted

Summary of Room Charges Cost per night per room (THB)
Thursday, April 4, 2013 - Friday, April 5, 2013 ( 1 night ) 3845.00
Estimated government taxes and fees 296.07
Service charge 384.50
Total for stay (for all rooms) 4,525.57

Complimentary on-site parking
Complimentary valet parking
Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price.

Last edited by Kalboz; Nov 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
Thanks Kalboz, et al. I changed my reservation with those prefs listed above. Basically my point was if there was no possibility that a Studio Suite could fit a rollaway, I would decline the upgrade if offered and take the smaller room with 2 doubles.

Originally Posted by Kalboz
I have had a 2 rollaways placed in our Renaissance Suite (is this the Jr. Suite?). One between the bed and the sitting area, and another on the other side by the window. Very clustered? Sure, but it worked and was okay for one night. We are Platinums and they were no additional charges. We booked as below:
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:22 pm

Have spent over an hour reading the recommendation for Bangkok hotels. Unfortunately, I only have the measly Silver Status due to my Marriot Credit Card. I have an e certificate for Cat 1-5 hotel which I want to use for my December visit on a Monday night. We won't be arriving at BKK till almost Midnight and have ONE night in Bangkok. We have a flight to Chiang Mai leaving at 6:45 P.M next day.

I am booked for J. W Marriott. Is this good? Will the night market be open past midnight on a Monday? Which hotel will be closer to breakfast places and walking around? Also, for public transportation to the airport?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:39 pm
Suspended

what night market are you talking about? Patpong, or other??

IMO, the JW is located in one of the worst areas of the city, while from the Ren you can use the SkyBridge over to Central World or in front of the hotel on Ploenchit is a decent deli/bagels for breakfast.....
are you trying to use the train from the airport to the City and then connnect with SkyTrain to the Ren/JW??

when you say C.Mai are you leaving from BKK or DMK as we have 2 arpts that service CNX...

Originally Posted by metoo
Have spent over an hour reading the recommendation for Bangkok hotels. Unfortunately, I only have the measly Silver Status due to my Marriot Credit Card. I have an e certificate for Cat 1-5 hotel which I want to use for my December visit on a Monday night. We won't be arriving at BKK till almost Midnight and have ONE night in Bangkok. We have a flight to Chiang Mai leaving at 6:45 P.M next day.

I am booked for J. W Marriott. Is this good? Will the night market be open past midnight on a Monday? Which hotel will be closer to breakfast places and walking around? Also, for public transportation to the airport?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:59 am

what night market are you talking about? Patpong, or other??

IMO, the JW is located in one of the worst areas of the city, while from the Ren you can use the SkyBridge over to Central World or in front of the hotel on Ploenchit is a decent deli/bagels for breakfast.....
are you trying to use the train from the airport to the City and then connnect with SkyTrain to the Ren/JW??

when you say C.Mai are you leaving from BKK or DMK as we have 2 arpts that service CNX...
Any night market? Any open past midnight as my international flight arrives just before midnight on a Monday in December.

I will need to take a taxi from BKK to the Marriott. But I would like to the the BTS/Skytrain (public Transportation) to BKK airport

I have only Silver Status so I need to find good food stalls or restaurants to eat breakfast.

TIA
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:55 am

Any night market? Any open past midnight as my international flight arrives just before midnight on a Monday in December.

I will need to take a taxi from BKK to the Marriott. But I would like to the the BTS/Skytrain (public Transportation) to BKK airport

I have only Silver Status so I need to find good food stalls or restaurants to eat breakfast.

TIA
If you land at just before midnight, you will probably reach the JW no earlier than 1 am (passport control, luggage, taxi, etc.). You can save some time by booking an AOT car while waiting for your bag, but you will pay about 3-4x the rate of a taxi. By the time you get checked in, etc., you may be hard pressed to find a convenient (and open) night market. BTS would be shut down by then.

For breakfast, the Bangkok Baking Company is attached to the JW. You can sit inside but in December, it is pretty pleasant to sit outside and have breakfast there. Decent food, and reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant (figure $10US or so/person). Alternatively, there are a bunch of food stalls which set up just down the street (1/2 block to the left on Sukhumvit) in front of the Krung Tep bank HQ serving all sorts of food during the morning rush. Limited seating. There is also a decent food court on the 6th floor of the Ploenchit center (directly across the street from the JW) but I do not believe that they are open for breakfast, but have a good variety for lunch.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:40 pm
Suspended

since you decided on the JW, my comments will be addressed to this location:
-night market open around 1AM after arrival - only the African flesh market kiddy corner to the hotel
-breakfast at McDs in Ploenchit Centre or Starbucks
-lug bags from hotel up Sukhumvit to Landmark Hotel and climb the BTS steps w bag (no lifts on this side of the street) and go to Phayathai Sta then change to Airport Express back to BKK (if you're certain you leave from BKK not DMK for C. Mai)

TIA
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:30 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

JW Marriott is good for your needs. The Sukhumvit night market is on from 5 PM until past midnight every night and located on the odd numbered side of the road from Soi 3 until around Soi 15.

When you say "we", you mean you and another person? Family? Take a taxi to the airport!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:53 am
Suspended

great info on the night mkt EXCEPT for the facts stated by the poster who will arrive BKK Arpt at midnight and by the time they get to the JW will be past 0100 when everything but the african flesh mkt will be closed and will then need to be back at the arpt by 1830 hours to fly up to C. Mai so w the mkt opening at 1700 they'll already be heading back to BKK........

since poster is going to BKK Arpt w the traffic heading home either they must leave the JW by 1600 or get caught in the "jam" so perhaps using the 2 SkyTrains available from JW to BKK is better option then a taxi........

Originally Posted by Kalboz
JW Marriott is good for your needs. The Sukhumvit night market is on from 5 PM until past midnight every night and located on the odd numbered side of the road from Soi 3 until around Soi 15.

When you say "we", you mean you and another person? Family? Take a taxi to the airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.