Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does this happen at Marriott's too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite

You may never want to stay in a hotel again. Any idea if not cleaning glasses or cleaning them with windex is a nationwide problem?

ATLANTA (FOX 5) -- When you check into a hotel room - ever wonder how clean it is? Well, the I-Team did and has some disturbing results. Dana Fowle brings an exclusive story that has county health inspectors reacting. Click video for more information

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1

Last edited by mktozd; Nov 7, 2007 at 9:57 am Reason: missed a few words
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
That is gross
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I bet it does. I can"t remember seeing racks of clean cups or glasses in the hallways in most properties. I am sure they do not run from the 19th floor to get a glass when they need it. Also how do they clean the coffee pots?
This is gross.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
We must demand that hotels do things right and complain when they dont. I plan to raise the topic everywhere I go.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
Here's Part 2 featuring Renaissance and the Ritz.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
This goes in the "I'd rather not know" category... just like rats in restaurants, roaches at starbucks, and all the rest. Everybody knows it happens, but until somebody tells you about it, you're blissfully unaware.

It's why we have immune systems I guess.

Edit -- If you think this story is gross, you don't want to know how your toothbruth gets "leveraged" in the cleaning process. Keep em hidden!

Last edited by MikeBU; Nov 7, 2007 at 3:00 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
I always pack up my shaving kit and contents every morning, then take it out of the bathroom.

This is very disgusting and looks like standard practice at least in Atlanta.

Can anyone in the industry comment?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:43 pm

The following thread from the Starwood forum is probably where the news investigators got their idea.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743516
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
This does not surprise me at all. Thank god I've used those little cups for consumption of liquids less than 10 times in 600+ stays.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Things like this don't bother me too much - I use everything in the rooms and don't get sick. If you imagine what else happens in the service industry you would find it to be par for the course.
The only thing that worries me is the remote control. It can be kinda gross.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if Marriott has a policy on this sort of thing? How we can complain to? Where they even thought of such a gross practice?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
pretty sure this practice does not meet MI standards, but unless you have a 1:1 ratio of managers to housekeepers, you can have all the policies you want and it will still happen.
you can complain to your local "investigative reporter"
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:15 pm

No feedback yet from Marriott, but Starwood is paying attention. Here's a quote from the official Starwood Lurker from the equivalent of this thread in that forum:

"FWIW, this event was sent to all North American Starwood General Managers last night by the President of the division with a directive to adhere to Starwood's policies concerning all things related to housekeeping, in which the proper replacement of in-room items is covered in detail.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide "
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Sorry my point was already made
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:17 pm

HAH!! I am vindicated!! My husband has given me trouble for years because when we check into a hotel room I always wash the glassware and coffee pot with hot water and soap. He thought I was nuts. I always pointed out that there are no clean glasses on the housekeeping cart, so how are they getting clean? I hate hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.