Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton ATL odd houskeeping practice---better stick with the paper cups..

Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC/Central Pacific Coast of Costa Rica - Los Suenos Resort - Playa Herradura
Programs: Delta Plat/SPG Plat

Staying two nights at the Sheraton Downtown - ok place - NICE upgrade. Went back to my room in the middle of the day and housekeeping was there. In the sink were the two glasses they provide inthe bathroom - hot water was running full blast on both of them....that is how they clean their glasses!!! I even asked the maids (there were two) and they laughed and said that is how they always do it!!! Stuck with the paper coffeecups for the rest of the stay.....
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
How do you think they clean them in most hotels? Do you see fresh racks of glasses on the housekeeping carts? I actively try not to think of these things. Otherwise I would never stay in a hotel.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:43 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have to admit, I never thought about how they clean the glasses and cups.

I guess this really does not bother me.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:22 am
Suspended

I would be more concerned on the cloth they used to wipe the glasses
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
That is pretty bad. Do they bring soap? And as mario33 said, what do they use to dry them? rcherskov, so are you saying that the glasses are never replaced?
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:29 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
This probably does not meet health department requirement in most cities. I would first report to the hotel and if they don't change I would report to the health department. Send the report to [email protected]. as William has suggested.

Here is an example, I did not find the Atlanta regulations but I am sure it is similar.
B. When reusable glassware are provided by the hotel they must be properly washed, rinsed, and sanitized. An approved three-compartment sink or a commercial dishwashing machine is to be provided in a kitchen or separate room for the purpose of performing this function.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Oct 6, 2007 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I have noticed the same practice at many hotels that have glass glasses. Hotels are definitely cutting corners in this area.

One of the first things that I do when I get into my room is to run them under very hot water in the sink for quite a while, then dry them off with a towel.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:00 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
And don't get me started about the questionable cleanliness of the carafes of the in-room coffee makers!!!!!
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by rcherskov
How do you think they clean them in most hotels? Do you see fresh racks of glasses on the housekeeping carts?
Sometimes, yes. I would imagine it would have to be this way in order to do it properly.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by wharvey
I have to admit, I never thought about how they clean the glasses and cups.

I guess this really does not bother me. This is why I bring my own beverages and cups.
Me too. I guess this shows why I do not stay at Sheraton Properties in Atlanta!

Originally Posted by mario33
I would be more concerned on the cloth they used to wipe the glasses
Agreed!
Originally Posted by wth
And don't get me started about the questionable cleanliness of the carafes of the in-room coffee makers!!!!!
Eww, I'm so glad I don't drink coffee.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:56 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
[COLOR="Navy"]
Eww, I'm so glad I don't drink coffee.
Neither do I any more. I use it to heat water for tea.

Still warrants a "eww" at times.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:21 pm

Indeed, this is how they always do it!

Originally Posted by sonofapilotman
Staying two nights at the Sheraton Downtown - ok place - NICE upgrade. Went back to my room in the middle of the day and housekeeping was there. In the sink were the two glasses they provide inthe bathroom - hot water was running full blast on both of them....that is how they clean their glasses!!! I even asked the maids (there were two) and they laughed and said that is how they always do it!!! Stuck with the paper coffeecups for the rest of the stay.....

Once, when touring the newly opened Phonecian, I noticed that the maids were cleaning the drinking glasses in the same manner--which at that time I thought was rather surprising for a luxury hotel.

Since then, I've always been sure to wash the glasses myself, just in case.

Not only is the practice questionable, but it wastes water!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Globehopper
...Not only is the practice questionable, but it wastes water!
I think housekeepers in some hotels just wipe the glasses with a cloth -- no water used OR wasted! Would you prefer that?

I always inspect, rinse, and wipe glasses in hotel rooms myself before using them. Same with coffee mugs.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Can you say bottled water?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Can you say bottled water?
That $5 bottled water is looking better by the minute.

Better yet, we probably underestimated the value of the complimentary bottle SPG members receive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.