Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I make a rookie mistake???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Always setup the automated alerts on a new card.

You can clear fraud alerts in seconds, by simply responding to the text. Then run the card again. I much prefer that to speaking to a person.

IMO talking to a PERSON increases risk.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Apr 19, 2017 at 10:06 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:40 pm

I got my CSP. A few days later, went to CVS for 2k of OV. Declined. 5 mins later a call from Chase. They asked if I applied for the card, and if I tried to make a purchase at CVS. I said,"Yes". Rep,"Ok, sorry about the transaction. You should be fine now. I made a note in our system". Next day, went back to the same CVS, bought 2k of OV. Done. I got about 9 new credit cards the last 6 months.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:19 am

How about this, when you get a CSP don't go to CVS. To me CVS is only good for category spending, it was also good when FiveBacks were around simply because the high profit without super huge spend.

Go to the mall if at all possible, or go to a grocery store. How about buying VGC's half online and half at the mall. Also making small purchases in between, try waiting a few days between making each big purchase.

Really there's no hurry, you shouldn't be hungry for a bonus. At the same time if you're confident in your profile, you can go buy 8 VGC's from Simon's when you first get your card.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:10 am

Lots of cards throw off alarms until they understand your spending pattern. My Fidelity card can't be used for more than one $500 gc a month at stop and shop. It'll lock up. Citi did this during the redbird days and I figured that one out to it not liking round numbers. Try to put $200 on redbird (back then).....lock. Put $994.36.....no problem.

Every card is different in the algorithm. Take it freaking easy until you figure it out.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by joeaseer
How about this, when you get a CSP don't go to CVS. To me CVS is only good for category spending, it was also good when FiveBacks were around simply because the high profit without super huge spend.

Go to the mall if at all possible, or go to a grocery store. How about buying VGC's half online and half at the mall. Also making small purchases in between, try waiting a few days between making each big purchase.

Really there's no hurry, you shouldn't be hungry for a bonus. At the same time if you're confident in your profile, you can go buy 8 VGC's from Simon's when you first get your card.
Simon doesn't work at PO. Simon gc is the easiest route when it did work at PO. I used to buy like 9500.00 instead of 2k a day at CVS.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Car Jack
Lots of cards throw off alarms until they understand your spending pattern. My Fidelity card can't be used for more than one $500 gc a month at stop and shop. It'll lock up. Citi did this during the redbird days and I figured that one out to it not liking round numbers. Try to put $200 on redbird (back then).....lock. Put $994.36.....no problem.

Every card is different in the algorithm. Take it freaking easy until you figure it out.
Heck, my chase cards STILL throw off fraud alerts because I did something as suspicious as shop at a different Walmart than I usually do. And this is after having the CSP for almost 3 years now. During my reselling days I would frequently spend several thousand at kohl's on a single transaction, or spend an equal amount at a gift card reseller, and the transaction goes through without a hitch. But spend $60 at the WRONG Walmart and get declined.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:50 am

Spending more than $500 at a grocery store would typically mean VGC to the CC companies, i dont know if mixing in other purchases would make a difference

I mean i currently do that but im sure we are not outsmarting the system by doing that
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I was told by a rep that the establishment that you are in matters as well. I happened to be using a Comentiy CC inside a Target that was out of state. He gave the highest authorization that was possible and the transaction still wouldn't go through. I asked for compensation. He credited me $50.00....SCORE!!!!

Anyway, he told me that Target is one of the highest risk stores that exists. I assume CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart are also on top of that list.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

Last edited by pharmawalk; Jun 17, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Artificially set limits are often predictable. Remember the limbo game and go under the stick. Despite what Gordon Gekko said, greed is not good.

Originally Posted by AceM
Spending more than $500 at a grocery store would typically mean VGC to the CC companies, i dont know if mixing in other purchases would make a difference

I mean i currently do that but im sure we are not outsmarting the system by doing that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.