Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Denials using Vanilla MCGC buying MOs at grocery stores

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

I have a $500 Vanilla MCGC (BIN 54327683) purchased from Sam's Club. I tried to buy a $499 MO with it at two grocery store chains in my area (Food Lion, Giant) and both times the card was declined. This used to work just fine at least a month ago.

Anyone else having problems liquidating Vanilla MCGCs?

Seems like USPS isn't a problem, but is anyone else having problems elsewhere?

Last edited by ENOTTY; Jun 17, 2017 at 5:57 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:59 pm

Were you trying to auto-drain or did the card have sufficient balance?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
Were you trying to auto-drain or did the card have sufficient balance?
Card had (and still does have) sufficient balance. Card has $500, attempted to purchase a $499 MO
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Is it a meta or bancorp?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:10 am

I bought a metabank vanilla mcgc at Sam's not paying attention. It wouldn't work at either of my groceries and after some research found Kmart bill pay is the only option. Instead of that I am just using it $49.00 at a time at Wal-Mart since I have a good relationship with MC employees and management. I did 3 x 500 + 49 first and then 49 x 4 second. 5 more swipes this weekend and then I'll use up the small balance as credit for groceries.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skitch23
Is it a meta or bancorp?
Metabank

Originally Posted by nmp0
I bought a metabank vanilla mcgc at Sam's not paying attention. It wouldn't work at either of my groceries and after some research found Kmart bill pay is the only option. Instead of that I am just using it $49.00 at a time at Wal-Mart since I have a good relationship with MC employees and management. I did 3 x 500 + 49 first and then 49 x 4 second. 5 more swipes this weekend and then I'll use up the small balance as credit for groceries.
When did you buy the Vanilla MCGC?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Metabank

When did you buy the Vanilla MCGC?
I bought it June 3rd with my discover. Fortunately I just bought one. I still need to buy 2 more for the quarter and will make sure they are bancorp.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Ahhh, I just found this thread that discusses this issue. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...am-s-club.html

The summary is that Bancorp will work at grocery stores while Metabanks will not.

I can't believe that in all my time buying Vanilla MCGCs from Sam's Club, I've only bought Bancorps. I just went through my stash and verified that fact. Incredible.

Last edited by ENOTTY; Jun 18, 2017 at 10:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.