Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I make a rookie mistake???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

My CSP came in today, within 20 minutes of verifying the card I attempted to buy two $500 VGC. The transaction declined so I contacted Chase and they told me the card was locked due to a suspicious purchase. I told them the purchase is legit and they told me that I was all set. Tried the purchase again and it declined a second time. Called Chase again and after a 40 minute interrogation they cancelled my card and suspended my online profile. They are sending another card and gave me instructions to get my online provided re activated. Did I move to fast?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:12 pm

What was the 40 min interrogation about?

And yes, you should have started with some legit usage at first. Then started slipping in a bit of MS, which you can then ramp up a bit. Of course it raises flags if the first thing you do with a card is try and buy $1k in gift cards.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Sometimes Chase will take the next step of canceling all your cards and putting you on a blacklist.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Bug - meet windshield. Windshield - meet bug. Patience and finesse go a long way in the MS world.

Originally Posted by MilesToSmiles
My CSP came in today, within 20 minutes of verifying the card I attempted to buy two $500 VGC. The transaction declined so I contacted Chase and they told me the card was locked due to a suspicious purchase. I told them the purchase is legit and they told me that I was all set. Tried the purchase again and it declined a second time. Called Chase again and after a 40 minute interrogation they cancelled my card and suspended my online profile. They are sending another card and gave me instructions to get my online provided re activated. Did I move to fast?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brody24
What was the 40 min interrogation about?

And yes, you should have started with some legit usage at first. Then started slipping in a bit of MS, which you can then ramp up a bit. Of course it raises flags if the first thing you do with a card is try and buy $1k in gift cards.
They did ask what I was purchasing and why but, most of the call was verifying my identity. What is the last four digits of my SS, drivers license number and expiration. Who is my online provider and if I have travelled in the last two days. They sent not one but, two text messages with a code that I needed to recall back. After answering everything correct they proceeded to cancel my card and suspend my online access. I will call back tomorrow to hopefully get this resolved. Lesson learned.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: IHG PlatAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
They did ask what I was purchasing and why but, most of the call was verifying my identity. What is the last four digits of my SS, drivers license number and expiration. Who is my online provider and if I have travelled in the last two days. They sent not one but, two text messages with a code that I needed to recall back. After answering everything correct they proceeded to cancel my card and suspend my online access. I will call back tomorrow to hopefully get this resolved. Lesson learned.
They won't reactivate until you get whatever they sent via snail mail, you may already be blacklisted, they don't make money off MS-ers so you have to have normal purchases+MS. Good luck...

-W
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:46 am

You need to make two or three weeks of normal charges so that the system "recognizes" your activity. The slip in some gift cards. You have 90 days on the CSP to meet minimum spend. Use it, especially as it's 2x UR on dining..
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:56 am

Not only too fast, but too much. Chase almost always declines my grocery purchases of $1000 or more and requires me to call in, but they always let the $506 transaction go through. But after being blacklisted and then welcomed back, I rarely use Chase for gift cards anymore. Same with citi by the way, they decline the $1k transaction but have no problem with the $500 transaction. They usually just send me a text that I have to reply to to verify the charge, but I'm usually already out of the store by the time I receive it.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:24 pm

I wouldn't exactly call it a rookie mistake. I'm sure most rookies know to not start MS-ing with a Chase/any card $1K+ a pop within 20 minutes. There's usually 129,600 minutes to complete the sign up bonus. You've probably set a record. Congrats!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:29 pm

it depends on what u purchase right? my first transaction with my CSR was a $1500 charge from the travel agency...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
it depends on what u purchase right? my first transaction with my CSR was a $1500 charge from the travel agency...
Right, that )1 isn't MS and 2)isn't a highly unusual activity likely to trip wire, like spending $1+K as your 1st purchase at grocery/pharmacy store.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:33 pm

when i get new card, i always go to mcdonalds first.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:46 am

I assume you just tried to do the purchase without first notifying Chase first? On new cards you have to coddle them and have to notify Chase in this case that you plan to make a "large purchase" and that you need "preauthorization" since you don't want to be denied at the register. The way you present yourself as being upfront and warning them ahead of time that yes you will see large purchases that are coming up is more welcomed than fraud dept randomly seeing high value transactions on a new card. It helps to make some small purchases first not only to establish location but just to show you are not just trying to hit it hard from the beginning.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It was definitely a dumb move to try an buy 1k worth of gift cards right out of the gate.
Chase has re-enabled my online access and a new card is on the way. I am going to play it safe with this card for awhile.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:45 pm

I've been msing for a while now, and I did the same thing. I called in, cleared it up, and was fine.

Maybe op was flustered in the 40 min interrogation and said something wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.