Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
it could be that the store is making up story. i dont know. i also dont know what to believe sometimes.

i had a similar encounter as cdog999 recently where a store i went and bought successfully previously, now told me the district or higher-up corporate had sent all of them a memo and therefore now they can only accept a card with a name on it for purchase.

so i was all doom and gloom thinking my gold rush has ended. but guess what, i persist and went to another store 30 min away and nobody stopped me and i did my usual.

all of the said stores are in the same county.
I believe the store manager on this one. I've had previous MS experiences where I think the store was just making up stuff. All that said this was all caused by another manager's "feelings" (found out the guy was actually new to the store and was at a previous store that was cash only). Anyway, just means I have a few extra minutes of driving in the short term (since I seriously doubt this is going to last long term)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Those little victories feel really good, don't they? Had a similar experience at my local Safeway that switched to chip cards and brought back the $500 visa cards. Was told they only sell them to a maximum of $200 (yes, even though the card has $500 printed right on the front).

I called corporate, got transferred to the gift card department who called the store and informed the shift manager that they need to accept credit cards for these cards. Was told they'd send a reminder to the store manager as well.

It's one thing if you're trying to skirt the rules, but it's nice being reinforced that you're right.
Too bad my go to Safeway went out of business. They used to allow me tobugunlimited cards. I got over $50k once. Darn Safeway is closed now.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
I believe the store manager on this one. I've had previous MS experiences where I think the store was just making up stuff. All that said this was all caused by another manager's "feelings" (found out the guy was actually new to the store and was at a previous store that was cash only). Anyway, just means I have a few extra minutes of driving in the short term (since I seriously doubt this is going to last long term)
as i said up thread, the feedback I've heard from 2 reliable and 'ms friendly' employees is that it came from above store level; with one saying he got chewed out for accepting a gift card with no name on it to pay for another gift card.

my understanding is that, indeed, buying a gift card with a gift card IS against corp policy. if anyone has a credible data point to the contrary, I'd like to see it.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
as i said up thread, the feedback I've heard from 2 reliable and 'ms friendly' employees is that it came from above store level; with one saying he got chewed out for accepting a gift card with no name on it to pay for another gift card.

my understanding is that, indeed, buying a gift card with a gift card IS against corp policy. if anyone has a credible data point to the contrary, I'd like to see it.
These Simon cards introduced me to CVS - ours are cash/debit only for gift cards and previously I had no use for Vanillas anyway unless I was maxing out a 5% rotating category on a card - and for that there is a Walgreens closer that takes credit for VVGCs. I wish WAG participated in the 5% scheme as I prefer them to CVS.

I was surprised at how easy buying $2k per day at the same CVS is - no strange looks or anything - but after a few days I'd switch to a different one anyway because I became uncomfortable.

The one and only time a cashier asked to see my card she noted it was a gift card and I told her that it is not exactly a gift card like an Amazon gift card but a "non-reloadable debit card with a PIN" and I was using it to buy a vanilla visa gift card because mine wouldn't work where I wanted to spend it but it did work at CVS - which was true because my PO only accepts vanillas.

I don't know if I just baffled her with my explanation (I do try to project confidence and speak directly) or if it satisfied her, or if she was going to let me proceed with it even if I hadn't said anything but anyhow I got out of there with $2k of vanillas. Best explanation I could come up with on the fly.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Buying non-reloadable variable load visa prepaid card with a CVS giftcard IS against corporate policy.

But we arent using a CVS giftcard. We are using a non-reloadable visa prepaid card.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
Buying non-reloadable variable load visa prepaid card with a CVS giftcard IS against corporate policy.

But we arent using a CVS giftcard. We are using a non-reloadable visa prepaid card.
Yea it seems this is going a little far. I wouldn't be surprised if this violates their merchant agreement. Gift cards are specific to a store and I'm assuming they are sold at a discount to those that resell them (GiftCardMall) thus it can be understood that they wouldn't be excepted for other gift cards. But a Visa gift card is not a gift card. It just says that. It's a prepaid Visa debit card and should be excepted anywhere Visa is.

I am out $420 by a Bed Bath and Beyond who decided after I swiped and they activated the gift cards that I couldn't use that card. The manager took the cards and receipts and said she would void it. Sill waiting 2 weeks later. I went back a few days ago and they said they had sent it up to corporate. I'm giving it another week till I file a dispute.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
Yea it seems this is going a little far. I wouldn't be surprised if this violates their merchant agreement. Gift cards are specific to a store and I'm assuming they are sold at a discount to those that resell them (GiftCardMall) thus it can be understood that they wouldn't be excepted for other gift cards. But a Visa gift card is not a gift card. It just says that. It's a prepaid Visa debit card and should be excepted anywhere Visa is.

I am out $420 by a Bed Bath and Beyond who decided after I swiped and they activated the gift cards that I couldn't use that card. The manager took the cards and receipts and said she would void it. Sill waiting 2 weeks later. I went back a few days ago and they said they had sent it up to corporate. I'm giving it another week till I file a dispute.
Off topic, but if you completed a transaction and it went through and you had proof of sale, you were free to walk out of the store WITH your merchandise unless the manager voided the transaction and refunded you with a receipt printout. Who knows what this manager did with the card already? The person probably sent on a shopping spree already!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus

This.

There is a message that pops up on their screen after they scan a gift card that says you can't use a CVS gift card or money card to buy it and some conflate the Visa gift cards we're with "gift cards" in general.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
i think in general it has been getting harder and harder. more and more stores are cracking down. maybe if you live in the middle of no where, and you are the only person doing such purchases, then probably no one cares. but that is likely not the case for the majority of us
Finally it pays off to live in the "boondocks"! Several CVS' within 15 min drive that still thank me for my business (aka buying VDGCS).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:36 pm

Cashier rings in all 4 VGCs, when I try to run 500 FB as debit(split), the transaction fails. The cashier tells me you can't do split payment with debit cards. I have been doing split payments as credit card without any problem. I wanted to use it as debit so I don't have to hand over a card to cashier.

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 6, 2017 at 8:42 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Cashier rings in all 4 VGCs, when I try to run 500 FB as debit(split), the transaction fails. The cashier tells me you can't do split payment with debit cards. I have been doing split payments as credit card without any problem. I wanted to use it as debit so I don't have to hand over a card to cashier.
I do credit too bit just read off the last four. I've Ben doig split payments way before these FBs became available so my go to CVS is familiar with me. Gift card guy who holds the line!

I tried debit like you (even before FBs) and it will only work if debit is the last transaction.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I do credit too bit just read off the last four. I've Ben doig split payments way before these FBs became available so my go to CVS is familiar with me. Gift card guy who holds the line!

I tried debit like you (even before FBs) and it will only work if debit is the last transaction.
If I remember correctly, debit can't be split according to a cashier I spoke with long ago. Let it auto-drain, then split works.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:00 am

so based on the previous 3 posts, are you saying that if you buy 4 vgc in one transaction, then you can actually do the following to make it work?

swipe #1 : debit (auto-d)
swipe #2-4: debit (split)

---------

i was reading posts from a few days before where it is also said that the below method works

swipe #1 : credit

---------

so both ways work then?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:44 am

so based on the previous 3 posts, are you saying that if you buy 4 vgc in one transaction, then you can actually do the following to make it work?

swipe #1 : debit (auto-d)

---------

i was reading posts from a few days before where it is also said that the below method works

swipe #1 : credit

---------

so both ways work then?
I don't know which post said that latter works and how it was written or I'm not going to track it down...I believe no, debit can't be split (cashier manually entering the amount). You are emphasizing the first swipe. If you want to make a split, use auto-drain debit. I tried the latter before, the system didn't let me according to the cashier (unless there was a cashier error or I didn't tell cashier what I needed correctly). You can try and let us know.

Last edited by vagrants; Jan 7, 2017 at 6:58 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:55 am

I let it auto drain for debit with 5 cards. The fifth card is a $25 FB used for fees (4x 500 1x19.80). Sometimes a cashier who doesn't know me will give the register a strange look when it only takes $500 off the total. If they really look baffled, I just tell them that it's only going to take $500 from each card. That has satisfied everyone I've dealt with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.