Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl
These were regular cards from Guest Services. I wouldn't fault Simon since this kind of theft seems (perhaps too) common with VGCs. There are systems constantly running to attempt to find valid card numbers. Once a card from one of the major issuers (i.e. Meta) is activated, the clock starts ticking.

Update: I did find someone at AMZN who speaks English. Apparently the fraud department is backed up with these issues right now, so they're filling out a form with this info. Actually spoke to someone in my own state. Will try next with Meta and see if I can get someone who can better communicate than what I experienced previously.
This is the first time I read about Simon's being compromised. This really bothers me.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 30, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Following up on my earlier post: if you need to dispute a charge, you actually have to download a form from GiftCardMall. It took multiple calls to get this information, as the reps are only trained to tell you to "go to the home page" and direct you from there but have no idea what Simon is or that the site you are visiting is different from the only one they know.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:13 pm

Had one out of four FB VGCs denied today at CVS, and no sign of the transaction on the issuer's side. Random POS issue I guess.

I had another FB VGC that had a non-functional magstrip. I was worried that it was skimmed and demagnetized so I had their phone line rescind it and send me a replacement. The replacement arrived, but neither the card design or the the included agreement mention anything about it being an FB card... wondering if it got converted to a normal VGC after the reissue.

EDIT: reissued card still got 5% back.

Last edited by TheJerm; Dec 6, 2016 at 7:22 pm
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
That really bothers me.
Can you remove this post as to deter those tempted to do certain things?

this seems to be in the likes of MCGCs...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by macrophage
Can you remove this post as to deter those tempted to do certain things?

this seems to be in the likes of MCGCs...
I bought 5 VGC's last night. Went to CVS to use one and it wasn't swiping. It seemed like a magstripe problem. Went to another one, same thing. Went to a 7-11 and bought something for $2 on debit and it worked fine. I will try it out and the others again later.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
I bought 5 VGC's last night. Went to CVS to use one and it wasn't swiping. It seemed like a magstripe problem. Went to another one, same thing. Went to a 7-11 and bought something for $2 on debit and it worked fine. I will try it out and the others again later.
Try swiping the other way (up). Sometimes the mag readers are wonky...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
Had the same thing happen to me, with two Simon 5% Visa (Metabank) cards (out of several dozen I have purchased). Mag stripes won't work on CVS readers -- I have tried multiple stores, and all the tricks I know (wrapping card in plastic bag, etc.) Same cards work fine at other stores, gas stations, etc.

Not worth it to me to raise a stink, will likely just use for normal purchases at other participating merchants, or WM MO.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Had the same thing happen to me, with two Simon 5% Visa (Metabank) cards (out of several dozen I have purchased). Mag stripes won't work on CVS readers -- I have tried multiple stores, and all the tricks I know (wrapping card in plastic bag, etc.) Same cards work fine at other stores, gas stations, etc.

Not worth it to me to raise a stink, will likely just use for normal purchases at other participating merchants, or WM MO.
This is some next level hard-coding!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
This is some next level hard-coding!
Oh man, think so? They're getting tricksy...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:10 pm

I had 2 cards that wouldn't swipe at cvs today. Terminal said card read error.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by tempest347
I had 2 cards that wouldn't swipe at cvs today. Terminal said card read error.
Since other Simon cards work fine at CVS, I've concluded it's a manufacturing glitch, rather than some sort of coding to deny access.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:37 am

Try swiping the other way (up). Sometimes the mag readers are wonky...
Well I swiped at 2 different CVS's and then it worked at a 7-11. I dumped the rest at a Kmart later with no problems. I used 2 more of the batch that I bought without problems at other CVS's. I bought some more today from Simon. They lady had a little trouble swiping them to activate. Of course now they have a different stripe on the package itself. I think it may have been a hardware problem but it worked eventually. I heard them talking amongst themselves about certain cards not working or something and which to destroy and which to file paperwork. I'm not really sure. But it seems good to go again.

I also had a slight problem at Lowe's. I tried a card for a partial amount and the lady just waited and was figuring what was wrong when she asked me what card I was using and then said you can't buy a gift card with a gift card. I said it's a debit card. She made a big stink about it and wanted to call the manager and so I just said nevermind and left. So I'm not sure if there was something triggered in the system. That's not too big of a loss as they don't sell $500 cards.

Last edited by Sandybestdog; Dec 2, 2016 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Fee-free 5% cards!

The 5% Back cards are being sold at my location without a fee this week. Not sure if it's nationwide.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
The 5% Back cards are being sold at my location without a fee this week. Not sure if it's nationwide.
Same here, DoC posted about it a day or two ago.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not really a Simon topic, but I don't care to create a thread.

I got a rebate card today from Hilton as part of the night on us certificate from a timeshare promo. In the envelope was a flyer promoting 5% back at certain retailers since these rebate cards are processed by Blackhawk as well. Lowes is on the list, so I may take it and buy an Amazon GC since the Lowes by my house sells variable load Amazon GCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.