Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Electroman
It's much easier for me since they killed the kiosk, mainly because the folks at the kiosk kept odd hours, apparently whenever they felt like it. The mall office, where I get them now, actually keeps its posted regular hours. Plus, they're open seven days a week and as late as 8 PM some days.
There's a store near me that decides not to follow posted hours, though..

One weekend, I decided to check this place out and there was a sign on the door that said they were closed for the day. It was not a holiday or special long weekend. It was a pretty "normal" weekend but it turns out the person who mans the desk was out sick. I now call the mall I go to each and every time before I head out. The clerks seem not to mind me calling.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sobelover
Simon is the best place in my opinion to buy cards from. If you buy over a like $500 they do require that you fill out a form. They aren't fools. They know what manufactured spending is and its not illegal. They will straight up tell you that.

I'm in Houston and I use the post office. I usually do around $8000 everyday and then go buy postal money orders then put them in my Bank of America account. No issues. I save all receipt. I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal so I have nothing to worry about.
I read it in another blog that you CANNOT use SMGC to buy MO at the local post office. Is that still the case? Has anyone made the purchase successfully? If so, can you split payment? Thanks.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammycat
I read it in another blog that you CANNOT use SMGC to buy MO at the local post office. Is that still the case? Has anyone made the purchase successfully? If so, can you split payment? Thanks.
Reread the post you quoted. If you can use a Vanilla GC, all other GCs with PINs should be fine.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:33 am

I think there are a handful of people going around posting misinformation to keep people from using popular MS tactics in hopes of making them last longer. I use SMGCs weekly and have never encountered any issues. Just spread your action around a bit and don't be pushy on split transactions if that's your thing.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Sending my DS over to Rolling Hills (in SAT) to take advantage of the Lowes Card deal and suggested he purchase a Visa GC (for Citi CC min. spend) since he is going on a first time vacation in Calif. in a couple of weeks. I just think he should leave the CCs at home and budget his spend.

Anybody know if hours or kiosk location from the mall center has changed there? (I'm currently in FL). No Simon Mall close enough to my locale to take advantage of the deal myself.

Update: I stand corrected.

Thanks to a few posts here referencing "Premium Outlet", I found out that the one nearest me is a SM participant.

It was not listed on the general website.

Last edited by jan_believes; May 26, 2016 at 3:14 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I think there are a handful of people going around posting misinformation to keep people from using popular MS tactics in hopes of making them last longer. I use SMGCs weekly and have never encountered any issues. Just spread your action around a bit and don't be pushy on split transactions if that's your thing.

I posted this and I promise it wasn't misinformation. The register at my local USPS rejected my Simon Mall VGC.

I'm happy this is apparently a local phenomenon, but it happened to me.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCChurn
I posted this and I promise it wasn't misinformation. The register at my local USPS rejected my Simon Mall VGC.

The question is why it was rejected. Were other GCs tried?
Old May 27, 2016, 1:30 pm

I had 1 simon vgc out of many not go through one time. I went home and reset the pin and it worked the next day.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
The question is why it was rejected. Were other GCs tried?
No I didn't try any other GCs. However someone in the Post Office thread had exactly the same experience I did, also with a Simon Mall VGC in Washington, DC. The card was swiped, the cashier identified the card as a gift card based off something on the register, and the transaction was denied.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:27 am

Tyson's (NoVa) won't be accepting AmEx as of tomorrow.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by the5nowman
Could you clarify this a little bit? They won't accept Amex for what kind of purchase? Thanks.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:33 pm

Could you clarify this a little bit? They won't accept Amex for what kind of purchase? Thanks.
Whoops, sorry.

At the customer service kiosk, there was a sign stating AmEx won't be accepted starting tomorrow for purchases at the kiosk. The CSR was friendly and when I pointed it out to clarify, she said "Yep - no more AmEx here tomorrow. Visa, etc is okay". I'd have taken a photo of the sign but my phone was dead.

Paid with my AmEx. Not sure on other data points in the DC area. Just got back from vacation and this is the first one I've hit in a while.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by the5nowman
Tysons is not a Simon Mall. They are a Macerich mall. How much do they charge per card and what is the maximum they allow?
Old May 31, 2016, 6:00 pm

No I didn't try any other GCs. However someone in the Post Office thread had exactly the same experience I did, also with a Simon Mall VGC in Washington, DC. The card was swiped, the cashier identified the card as a gift card based off something on the register, and the transaction was denied.
Was it manually denied?

My vgc isnt a Simon and it was identified as a vgc at a grocery store. Someone here said based on the magstripe data.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:48 pm

I went to a Simon Mall near where I work today during lunch hour to buy 4x $500 gift cards. I was initially denied to buy the GCs. After requesting for written policy and ask cashier to verify with Mall manager, I was allowed to buy as an exception. Later this afternoon, I called the Mall manager myself. I was told that as Federal regulation, over $3000 need to fill out a form. This particular mall set its own policy to $1000 to fill out the form. Their own rule is not a written one. Later I emailed Simon Mall corporate to clarify this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.