Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a new thread for 2016. The previous megathread on this topic is here.

The 2017 thread is here.

This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep. Post #132.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)

* FASTEST WAY to liquidate $20 Staples Rebate Visa GCs*
Use for purchase at Costco. The POS at Costco will auto-drain the Staples Visa GC, once you press the green button when the PIN is requested.
Then, swipe the next Staples VGC, press green and repeat! The POS is so fast, you can keep feeding 4 - 5 total $20 cards and the cashier will not even care!
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by usalibido
It appears the register allows any payments. But I know (at least in my neighborhood) most stores hate the idea of paying for VGC/MGC with store GCs, and some cashiers got scolded by their bosses for allowing that.

I was thinking maybe they treat the fees differently and can separate it easily from the total amount. But it does not seem to be the case. I am just not to try it at all to avoid any backlashes.
I'm not sure anyone has been able to use Staples store GCs to buy VGCs. What I reported and matches others is that the Staples VGCs (debit w embossed numbers, came from rebate from early Sept I believe) works as a payment.

But yeah, long term I don't think it would be prudent to pay with GC for a VGC even if it somehow worked. GC for the VGC *fee* should be fine though
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:26 pm

Wife and I successfully raided our local Staples
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by usalibido
It appears the register allows any payments. But I know (at least in my neighborhood) most stores hate the idea of paying for VGC/MGC with store GCs, and some cashiers got scolded by their bosses for allowing that.

I was thinking maybe they treat the fees differently and can separate it easily from the total amount. But it does not seem to be the case. I am just not to try it at all to avoid any backlashes.
It was the manager who checked me out today and we both looked at the ad to confirm the rebate offer. I told him I'd pay the fees with my StapGC and he said okay. It took the full $25 and I paid the balance with INK+. Since it's the manager who's allowing this, I don't worry of any backlash since he can say NO and I'd pay all of it with CC. again, YMMV.

btw, I also received via email a $5 off coupon to use in store or online x10/31 so I got two 400ct table napkins and paid $3.xx after he scanned the coupon barcode. Great deal!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My Staples was out of $200s at 4pm today. Not sure if had already been raided, or just not re-stocked yet. I'll be back in that part of town mid week so will stop back by. It annoys me that there are so few Staples in the Houston metro area, and only 1 that is not in the suburbs.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
It was the manager who checked me out today and we both looked at the ad to confirm the rebate offer. I told him I'd pay the fees with my StapGC and he said okay. It took the full $25 and I paid the balance with INK+. Since it's the manager who's allowing this, I don't worry of any backlash since he can say NO and I'd pay all of it with CC. again, YMMV.

btw, I also received via email a $5 off coupon to use in store or online x10/31 so I got two 400ct table napkins and paid $3.xx after he scanned the coupon barcode. Great deal!
Lucky you. I've asked multiple stores if I can pay the fees with my staples gift cards. They always tell me no. So, then I usually buy the penny paper knowing that I'm probably going to have to throw it away in the garbage if my kid's school doesn't want it. It would be so much easier on them (and lest wasteful) if they would accept the GCs for the fees
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:24 pm

My staples didn't have any $200 visible, but they had a basket full of random GCs next to the rack, and in the middle of that confusion there was a full pack of $200s still wrapped. Took one for my myself and put the rest in the rack.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by cdog999
Lucky you. I've asked multiple stores if I can pay the fees with my staples gift cards. They always tell me no. So, then I usually buy the penny paper knowing that I'm probably going to have to throw it away in the garbage if my kid's school doesn't want it. It would be so much easier on them (and lest wasteful) if they would accept the GCs for the fees
Can't you donate to any other nonprofit / biz ? Why throw away? 🙁

Also - is the penny paper the same sort of rebate where you pay full upfront price then get a GC or VGC rebate like a month later?

Edit: I think I see that it is $7.99 - $5.00 "easy rebate" (vgc) - $2.98 instant rebate w coupon?

Last edited by perkunas; Oct 24, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

I spent Sunday and Monday driving from San Jose, CA, to WA state, primarily along I-5. $200 VGC's are in plentiful supply in every Staples I visited. Happy hunting!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I spent Sunday and Monday driving from San Jose, CA, to WA state, primarily along I-5. $200 VGC's are in plentiful supply in every Staples I visited. Happy hunting!
How do you plan on getting more than one rebate?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:57 am

My Staples has countless $200 VGC, but I only have 3 addresses I can use. I've read that minor changes to addresses don't work (ie, St vs Street, Apt 3 vs #3, etc). Any tricks anybody wants to share?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
How do you plan on getting more than one rebate?
I have several friends who I help with their travel plans. I help them, they help me.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My Staples has countless $200 VGC, but I only have 3 addresses I can use. I've read that minor changes to addresses don't work (ie, St vs Street, Apt 3 vs #3, etc). Any tricks anybody wants to share?
Put down friends info - say thanks
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:40 am

in store limits?

is there any limit to the amount of VGC you can buy in person at Staples? TIA
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by sunshineonlieth
is there any limit to the amount of VGC you can buy in person at Staples? TIA
limit is most likely what the CSR/manager will let you purchase.

I'm guessing you're buying 2 at a time?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I hope that no one out there thinks that visiting Staples stores was the primary purpose of my trip!

But it did help to break up the 800-mile drive.

I was particularly pleased when I would find a shopping center that was close to a freeway exit and included a Staples store, a Walmart, and a branch of my bank. Talk about one-stop shopping!

Throw in an In-n-Out Burger, and I was in heaven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.