Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a new thread for 2016. The previous megathread on this topic is here.

The 2017 thread is here.

This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep. Post #132.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)

* FASTEST WAY to liquidate $20 Staples Rebate Visa GCs*
Use for purchase at Costco. The POS at Costco will auto-drain the Staples Visa GC, once you press the green button when the PIN is requested.
Then, swipe the next Staples VGC, press green and repeat! The POS is so fast, you can keep feeding 4 - 5 total $20 cards and the cashier will not even care!
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:44 am

That is a massive wall of text. You really should separate that into multiple paragraphs.

Look up level III data processing. Staples online has it. Some physical locations have it.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
I have a question about spend activity. I think I may have just stumbled onto a MS unicorn that would allow me to do a lot of easy spend with Staples VGCs, making them easier to liquidate. Can anyone tell me what the transactions look like on Chase's end? Do they just appear as Staples point of sale or is there additional info about the type of transaction; i.e. Visa gift card? I applied for my card with a business claim (online auction sales) of 5k annual revenue, so I wonder if it would look suspicious to be averaging $5,000 per week in transactions at Staples; particularly if this is the ONLY activity on the card? I suppose the purpose of the product is to spend at office supply stores, so I don't see why that alone (only Staples spend) would raise any red flags, but what about transacting purchases exclusively in denominations of $100 to $300 (plus whatever nominal card fees apply) in order to diversify amounts to some degree? Would this appear to be high risk spend? I appreciate that this question is subjective and all MS activity is uncertain but what's a relatively safe yet ambitious amount to be transacting per week on VGCs with a 15K credit limit and how many of you use your cards exclusively for this purpose without putting any other "regular" spend on the account? I would never consider using my CSP (for example) on any MS exclusively without regular swipes, especially not with all transactions originating from the same point of sale. With a specialty card that's intended to be used at certain retailers (or types of businesses to be more precise) I wonder if this should be an equal concern? I imagine most small business owners would frequent office supply stores most conveniently located to their home or place of work, so weekly swipes at the same Staples (perhaps with ocassional online transactions through their dot com) should seem legit, right? I happen to live directly across the street from a Staples, conveniently. Since I'm new to the Ink card, I'm just wondering how much is too much & whether it would be advised to put some regular non-Staples spend on the card, or of that matters? Thanks for any input.
They can see it as the previous poster mentioned. And why spend $5k/week at staples? The category limit is 50k/yr = 4.16k/month. No reason to go overboard in one month.

After you hit the 50k/yr Staples VGC are not worth the fee, too. Outside of this you could also get VGC online, outside of Staples.com, for a lower fee that also rings up the 5% category bonus and requires less unloading ($500 vs $300 cards).
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ff.volker
They can see it as the previous poster mentioned. And why spend $5k/week at staples? The category limit is 50k/yr = 4.16k/month. No reason to go overboard in one month.

After you hit the 50k/yr Staples VGC are not worth the fee, too. Outside of this you could also get VGC online, outside of Staples.com, for a lower fee that also rings up the 5% category bonus and requires less unloading ($500 vs $300 cards).
some ink cardholders recently got shut down by chase for abusing the 5x
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:18 am

Thanks for the info. I must admit, I wasn't aware of the cap on earnings. That's a bit of a drag. I'm still waiting for the card to arrive, so I'm sure I would've discovered this in the t&c but this definitely changes things. That said, even doing ~ $4,160 / month, is there considerable risk if this is my only activity on the card?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:25 am

Outside of this you could also get VGC online, outside of Staples.com, for a lower fee that also rings up the 5% category bonus and requires less unloading ($500 vs $300 cards).
This would surely not be in addition to the 50k annual spend of course, right?

Are you simply suggesting that I can mix things up between brick and mortar swipes and online purchases? If you're feeling generous, I'd greatly appreciate a hint about the $500 value online GCs at lower cost that still meet the category bonus. A nod in the right direction perhaps?

Thank you again!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:57 am

Where else could you get the VGC other than staples.com and still get the 5X points from INK? Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:59 am

Outside of this you could also get VGC online, outside of Staples.com, for a lower fee that also rings up the 5% category bonus and requires less unloading ($500 vs $300 cards).
Pray tell! (especially with Cardc@$h dead)

Last edited by Jpr0930; Jun 30, 2016 at 11:45 am Reason: more context
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danhouston
some ink cardholders recently got shut down by chase for abusing the 5x
Can you provide some specifics on this? I have had the Ink card for two years, and every penny of spend on my card has been in the 5 percent category, including quite a few gift cards.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Can you provide some specifics on this? I have had the Ink card for two years, and every penny of spend on my card has been in the 5 percent category, including quite a few gift cards.
read blog of miles per day as 1 instance
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:00 am

Eh, if Chase was cracking down on ink holders for the 5% we'd see waves of posts on FT. Some guy with a blog, eh, Chase may have put him up to it for all I know of it was a one off pertaining to something else that brought forth the manual review.

Chase defines their loss at 250k UR a year, which is a couple sign up bonuses. I'd agree that doing it all in 1-2 months would be dumb, but evenly dispersing it over 12 months is what a lot of people do. But anything can come to an end at any point.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:46 am

I'd be interested in a PM about which online retailer codes as office supplies.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I just received a promotional e-mail from Chase encouraging me to spend in the 5x categories, so they must not completely despise you if one takes advantage of it.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:57 pm

Any other sources where a INK was shut down?

If you read the referenced blog you will see that he just went overboard in one month increasing his monthly throughput nine times. And two card where affected with similar upticks. See http://milesperday.com/2016/04/chase...n-my-accounts/
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:30 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Me too. The ONLY Charges on my Ink account are OD, Cable, Phone (all 5%). No problems.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:19 pm

I tried to order my normal amount of VGC and I have an old staples gift card from some rebate a while ago and wanted to waste that so I tried to buy a $15 item in the same order as my typical VGC allotment and the website wouldn't let me add my staples gift card to the order to go toward the $15 item. I was doing this to try to get free shipping on the $15 item along with the VGCs. Glad to see they are making things difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.