Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
American Express® is discontinuing the American Express for Target Prepaid Card program on March 21, 2016.

***Attention*** If you are new to the forum and thinking about AFT loads to accomodate your bonus or rewards spend, please be advised this method has taken a major hit effective first week of May, 2015, as mentioned in latter posts on this thread.****

This thread is a continuation of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ities-208.html

please be aware the Target breach cards are currently on the black market, as always be aware of activity on all accounts

Purchase in store. Each store seems to have just one lane that has them on display (unlike the AMEX GC which are at most lanes). Package is larger than other gift cards, silver and red.

Not available in all states. Search here for possible locations

Note: Unlike AMEX's restriction on BB/Serve/Redbird where one person can only hold one of those, you can have an AFT (2, actually) while holding a BB, Serve, or Redbird

Need DL to purchase.
Max 1 purchase per ss# per day--this means one person can actually have 2 AFT cards, which is why there is a $5000 total limit for 2 cards (see below).
Max initial load $500 + $3 load fee.

May reload temp card as soon as verification of identity is complete, may take 48 hours. You can use an ATM with a temp card as soon as you're able to view your temp card PIN online. If you're unable to view your PIN online, you won't be able to use an ATM until you have the permanent card, which takes about two weeks.

Many stores now limit reloading to the service desk, and no longer at cashiers. The card must be swiped at a cash terminal to reload, not scanned! Ask cashiers to try if they don't seem to recognize the card. Ask if loading at service desk is a policy, it might just be a knee-jerk response from cashiers that don't know about the card. I have been told that a few times, "You need to go to the Service Desk," it has never been true. Say please and thank you.

Limits & Fees
Codes as purchase on all cards.
Load fee $3
Max $1000 per card in 24 hour period.
Max $5000 total for both cards per 28 day rolling period.
May load any card *until* balance is $2500 for 28 day period (not *up to*)

System will allow a $1000 load on a card with a $2000 balance so long as you are under $5000 for all cards over 28 day period. See below for optimal load sequence, $15/$5k a month after 1st month and $15k in 65 days for new cards.

Unload via ATM
Max $400/card/day (resets 12am PST)
First ATM w/d per month per card is free, based on 1st of the month (not rolling)+ any ATM owner fee.
Additional ATM w/d fee $3 + ATM fee
Note that unlike Amex RB/BB, AFT is NOT in AllPoint network, thus NO surcharge-free ATM generally.

When asked 'from account' choose 'checking.'

Possibly helpful link (Surcharge Free ATMs):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-fee-atms.html

Unload by purchases
No fee. No cash back.

Additional information

Optimal load pattern for least number of $3 fees after first $500 load is $3k/$2k.
New accounts can load $15k in 65 days. 4 trips in a week for new cards, 3 in a week once a month after that.

Load always means load $1000. 28 day load total in parenthesis. 'Dropped' means that load is past the 28 day mark.

Day 1: Purchase card #1, load $500
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)
Day 5: load card #1 ($2500); load card #2 ($1500)
Day 7: load card #2 ($2500)
*********************************wait************
Day 29: ($2000)($2500) day 1 dropped
Day 31: ($1000)($2000) day 3 dropped
Day 32: load card #1 ($2000) ; load card #2 ($3000)
Day 33: ($1000)($2000) day 5 dropped
Day 34: load card #1 ($2000); load card #2 ($3000)
Day 35: ($2000) ($2000) day 7 dropped
Day 36: load card #1 ($3000), ($2000)
*********************************wait************
Day 61: load both cards, day 32 dropped
Day 63: load both cards
Day 65: load one card.

Repeat Loads waiting 29 days between loads, if you loaded both cards 29 days ago load both now, if you loaded one card, load one now. So next load date is 61+29= Day 90

FAQ

Q: Can I load with Visa/MC/Amex Gift Cards?
A: Visa and MC Gift cards with a PIN can be used. Amex gift cards no longer work.

Q: How about Target gift cards?
A: The register prompts not to allow Target gift cards. They may not be hard coded, though.

Q: Will I get 5% off if I load with a Target Red card?
A: No. Sorry, I wish.

Q: Can I load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: No. This died February 4, 2015 or shortly before.

Q:Is there a max number of payment swipes?
A: Yes. Maximum swipes for split payments is 7, though other users have reported being able to swipe at least 10 gift cards for payment without problems.

Q: What are the lowest possible fees with a fee-free ATM available?
A: For 2 cards, each loaded with $2.5K each over 2 months ($10K in total), you would pay $30 in loading fees (10 load fees of $3 each) and $63 in ATM fees (25 total withdrawals, with 1 free withdrawal per card each month, resulting in 21 ATM fees of $3 each).

Q: Where is my permanent card? I did not receive my permanent card. How do I receive my permanent card?
A: You do not need to register the temporary card online after purchase or create the online account to receive your permanent card. You should have received your permanent card within 7 days. Your temporary card will stop working after 30 days.

If you have not received your card, your application may have been declined. The personal information you registered may be incorrect, or Amex could not verify your identity.

---

Official fund loading from T&C

You may load funds to your Cards using your Funding Source until the Available Funds on any Card purchased by you equals $2,500 and on all card purchased by you equals $5,000... Not more than $1,000 may be loaded to any Card purchased by you in a 24 hour period using your Funding Source, not more than $5,000 may be loaded to all Cards purchased by you in any 28-day period using your Funding Source.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE IF YOU LOADED YOUR PREPAID CARD AT TARGET DURING THE CHRISTMAS SECURITY BREACH: It is important to have AMEX reissue your cards (just phone the number on the card and ask for a new card). Thieves have the numbers and pins and can drain your account at any time. AMEX does not appear to be using software to block suspicious activity, so they can drain it all. If you loaded your prepaid card at Target between November 27 and December 15, 2013, you are at significant risk of having your money stolen (several reported cases in April and May).
Print Wikipost

AmEx for Target (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by roki
I'm wondering if this card is worth getting into at the low level I'm considering it. Basically, one $1000 load per month on my Club Carlson card. Every other month, I'd unload an additional $400 to clear it out. In other words:

Month 1: $1000 load ($3), $400 W/D x2 ($6 ($3+$1.50+$1.50)
Month 2: $1000 load ($3), $400 W/D x2 ($10.50 ($3+$3+$1.50+$1.50+$1.50)

Total cost: $22.50 for 10K points. Over 12 months, that's $135 for 60K points. With the 1+1 CC benefit, that should be at minimum $750 worth of points (I'm redeeming 200K points for $3K rack rate in the Fall). Back out the $135 and it's still roughly a $600 profit.

Is there no love in this game for the meek? I'd rather not have to track it as closely as the wiki outlines. :P

I also feel like just putting $1K/mo in cash into my bank account wouldn't cause any scrutiny, either.
I say any method that gets Club Carlson points for minimal costs is worth it. I hesitate to use other cards due to the expense, but those CC cards just keep giving. Those 60K points can get you 2 free nights in any number of Category 3/28K bookings-- working out to under $40 a night, and hey, you might even get free breakfast. Or, just to run a comparison, you could AirBandB on somebody's fold out couch or funky spare bedroom for the same $40 bucks.

In my book, there is just no way to lose out when using the Club Carlson card to MS. I'm gobbling up MS points and making hotel bookings just as fast as I earn up those points. I've had some amazing trips over the past 2 years and have some amazing trips booked this upcoming year. I just think it's too good to last!

TravelwithGrant did a great Club Carlson write up:
http://travelwithgrant.com/how-to-gu...son-blu-stays/
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
I just had a customer service desk rep(I always go to the customer service desk, in about 5 locations it has been painful trying to load at a regular register) tell me twice that the AFT can't be loaded by a gift card, but then I'm pretty sure she easily saw me use a AGC to load it and then just asked me for the last 4 and didn't ask to physically see the card. Not sure what that was about, she seemed like she was going to be tough to deal with but fortunately it all worked out.
Has happened to me once at my Target, the rep told me some moron kept swiping $200 cards. Sheesh, liquidate that .... someplace else.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Furyleader
uhh you CANT buy mo with AFT.....IT IS NOT debit
Here's what I'm not going to say to you, because it would be as rude as your post was:

Gee, THANKS NOOB. I've been around for a little while and manage to MS over 6 figures a month, but I didn't realize until you used ALL YOUR CAPITAL LETTERS to admonish me that I should NOT TRY DEBIT transactions with my AFTs. I guess that's why you didn't think I deserved an answer to my question.

See how mean that sounds? I'm glad I'm able to show better restraint than that.

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I think he was saying that he doesn't want to draw more attention to him buy depositing large sums of cash into his bank in addition to already depositing MOs into his bank (most likely purchasing them with VGC).
Bingo. Thanks.

Originally Posted by weezl
What's with the attitude? This poster is into MSing with MOs and does not want to add suspicion to his bank by bringing cash in along with the MOs.

You didn't answer his question in any case...

In my case, yes that adds to the risk somewhat. If you have a good relationship with the bank that you deal with, its ok. When I had a building project I used to withdraw loads of cash all the time, and sometimes deposited more back. But I am sure that if someone was watching my activity for a reason, especially if I had tons of MOs, it might boost the suspicion somewhat.
That's always the risk, especially when you start to scale. I've got over a dozen bank accounts, and so far no problems. But the issue isn't what you can get away with while you're not on their radar, it's what happens when you DO get on their radar. Account closures are a part of the MS game at scale, but I want to be careful to stay off any radar if I start introducing pure cash into my mix.

Originally Posted by ILGfly
If you need to pay back a Visa or MC you could always BP directly with cash. That what I do with a lot of my AFT cash.
Now THAT is a great idea! Dang...can't believe I never thought of that. Too bad I didn't have that weapon in my arsenal back when you could BP Amex! At this point, even MC and Visa are out at nearly all of my WM locations. I haven't bothered with KM yet, but looks like I'll be partying at their blue light specials soon.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by donotblink
Can you explain how you got up to 6k? I've seen others make reference to this, but can't find the post explaining how to get past the 5k limit? Are you just loading both cards at the same time when you're already at 4k in the same transaction?

In a word, yes. Check out these posts:

Originally Posted by Zooter
I've recently loaded almost $6k across my two cards in less than 28 days. It was by accident as I erroneously thought the limits were by calendar month.

I loaded $2k or close to it (split between the 2 cards) each day on 4/13, 4/29, and 5/5 but was denied on 5/10 and customer service said I could load again on 5/11, 28 days from my 4/13 load.

Customer service even told me the limit was $5k every 28 days (in line with the wiki) but it wasn't until I hung up that I checked my transaction logs and saw that I had somehow managed to load in excess of the limits.

Anyone else have this experience?
Originally Posted by Haleyb
Yes. It seems to allow a full $1,000 load so long as you are below the limit before you do the load. So if you have $4k loaded so far across two cards you can load just under $1k to the first one and then $1k to the second card.

It seems to be the case that as long as you are below the limit of 5k it will let you load a card for a full 1k. I tend to do $997 loads with $1000 Prepaid AmEx cards.

The wiki already overwhelms people, so I have not put that tip in. I also don't mention the AmEx gift cards that make this an easy zero cost or money maker. That's just because I'm mean
Originally Posted by theacolyte
In my experience, the effective limit is 6K. I always load both of mine at the same time. I'm thinking, upon initial scan and load request, the system only checks to see if the load breaches any limits, and then actually "loads" at the end of the transaction. So, because that first load isn't finalized, it allows that 2nd load, as I'm sure it still reads as 4K loaded in the 30 day period.
Originally Posted by iahphx
That would be funky, and interesting.

I didn't realize you could load both cards in the same transaction. I always load one card, pay, and then repeat. They can do both orders together?

Of course, there's no real reason to do them together (except to save a modest amount of time) -- and, more important, to use your trick!
Originally Posted by Haleyb
Not a fluke.
You can load 6k if you load the last 2k in a single transaction.

Every month.
It gets mentioned every now and again in the thread.
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Never heard of this. So would the setup be thus?
You have 2 AFTs, already loaded $2K on each earlier. You reload both of them for $1K each in 1 transaction for a total of $6K ($3K on each)?
This helps a lot actually.
Originally Posted by ttlmmky
Just like you buy two gallons of milk in one transaction. Instead of paying for the first load, ask the cashier to swipe your second card.
Originally Posted by weezl
Does that cost $3 or $6 for the load(s)?
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
$6.

Last edited by thegasguru; Jan 15, 2015 at 10:38 pm
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:51 am

So for the 6k it is just 3 loads of 2k (1k for reach) over the 5 day period (i.e. M, W, F)?

Just make sure they do the 2k in a single transaction on the final one (i.e. go in with 2k on each card from your M W visit and ask to load 1k to each in the same transaction)?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Day 1 bought card 1 loaded with $500.
I tried to register online, and it said my 4 digit security code was wrong.
Called Amex to see, if I could still load Card 1, due to the security code issues, he stated that the card had been terminated, bc it was temporary, and wait until the permanent card arrives.
Day 3 attempted to purchase card 2, but the register said Do Not Sell, 2 different cashiers, go the same warning. tried about 6 different card packaging. They said after some research, the vendor was supposed to pull all the cards bc of some packaging error.

anyone run into these issues?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by RogerOH
Day 1 bought card 1 loaded with $500.
I tried to register online, and it said my 4 digit security code was wrong.
Called Amex to see, if I could still load Card 1, due to the security code issues, he stated that the card had been terminated, bc it was temporary, and wait until the permanent card arrives.
Day 3 attempted to purchase card 2, but the register said Do Not Sell, 2 different cashiers, go the same warning. tried about 6 different card packaging. They said after some research, the vendor was supposed to pull all the cards bc of some packaging error.

anyone run into these issues?
I had a similar issue when I 1st started. If the cashier entering the information enters 1 digit off it throws the whole thing out. Best to wait for the 1s perm card then go back for the 2nd temp card.

Calling AFT might help, I had to call them 4 times after the 1st temp card to sort it out.

Once you get the 1st perm card getting the 2nd one will be easier as your info will be (hopefully) correct at AFT.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I say any method that gets Club Carlson points for minimal costs is worth it. I hesitate to use other cards due to the expense, but those CC cards just keep giving. Those 60K points can get you 2 free nights in any number of Category 3/28K bookings-- working out to under $40 a night, and hey, you might even get free breakfast. Or, just to run a comparison, you could AirBandB on somebody's fold out couch or funky spare bedroom for the same $40 bucks.

In my book, there is just no way to lose out when using the Club Carlson card to MS. I'm gobbling up MS points and making hotel bookings just as fast as I earn up those points. I've had some amazing trips over the past 2 years and have some amazing trips booked this upcoming year. I just think it's too good to last!

TravelwithGrant did a great Club Carlson write up:
http://travelwithgrant.com/how-to-gu...son-blu-stays/
That's how I feel, too. I'll probably pick one up next time I'm at Target.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cajunguy
I had a similar issue when I 1st started. If the cashier entering the information enters 1 digit off it throws the whole thing out. Best to wait for the 1s perm card then go back for the 2nd temp card.

Calling AFT might help, I had to call them 4 times after the 1st temp card to sort it out.

Once you get the 1st perm card getting the 2nd one will be easier as your info will be (hopefully) correct at AFT.
FYI: My SO went to a different Target location today, and they had also pulled all of them from that store "due to a vendor issue"

This is in Cincinnati. Anyone else in the area? PM.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
No way to lose, except when US bank closes your credit card for MS...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by AmexPlat06
Hey..... I reloaded in Gastonia today
no longer able to reload in Gastonia, NC
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:07 am

Anyone in Northern Virginia who can point me to a Target store that still sells AFT? Appreciate the help.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy
Anyone in Northern Virginia who can point me to a Target store that still sells AFT? Appreciate the help.
Not sure how Northern you are in VA, but as of a week or so go, the Target in Woodbridge on PW Parkway had several on the rack.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AmexPlat06
no longer able to reload in Gastonia, NC
Must be cashier-dependent. I loaded successfully yesterday around 5pm in Gastonia.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by MG49
Not sure how Northern you are in VA, but as of a week or so go, the Target in Woodbridge on PW Parkway had several on the rack.
Thanks. I know exactly where that one is. Will check it out soon. Several other local Target stores only have empty racks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.