Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Damn so I guess I can't even use the same name but just different address (eg: home and work) for 2 rebates?
same name will definitey flag it. Ive even heard of a sr and jr in the same family but different addresses having issues with parago and having to argue for it
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:38 am

Just got the automated voicemail saying shipping has been delayed on my weekend order. They'd been turning around orders in 4-5 business days the last couple weeks until now.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:24 am

?I have two questions for the guru's here:

1) is there a way to know when is staples giving out rebate for these gift cards??

2) Does doing a $2500/ month from ink bold card raise a red flag from chase?

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by poisonsag
?I have two questions for the guru's here:

1) is there a way to know when is staples giving out rebate for these gift cards??

2) Does doing a $2500/ month from ink bold card raise a red flag from chase?

Thanks
watch their weekly ads, or check the rebate site on sunday after 3am est
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I've done high volumes at office stores before. The key is to have other charges and to not go over the credit limit in charges in a given month (in other words, don't pay down just to charge more).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:09 pm

visa edge 1% rebate for staples is ending at the end of the year
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Damn so I guess I can't even use the same name but just different address (eg: home and work) for 2 rebates?
Depending on your real name, use a variation. I use Daniel and Dan. Different emails, work and home address. Haven't had trouble yet.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:40 pm

are the activation codes mailed to the billing address? I just moved..
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by mikeawesome
are the activation codes mailed to the billing address? I just moved..
Yes, billing address.... which can be a hassle. You can always just call and get the cards activated over the phone.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Has anyone seen anything, anywhere, about whether or not the Staples/VSE 1% back will continue past 2014? Just checking...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Has anyone seen anything, anywhere, about whether or not the Staples/VSE 1% back will continue past 2014? Just checking...
Unfortunately I haven't seen any. Without that VSE 1%, this method may be not be worth it for me.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:43 am

If we order Staples on Dec 30/31, I assume VSE will still be good....?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
If we order Staples on Dec 30/31, I assume VSE will still be good....?
I was working under the assumption that the transaction might need to post in 2014, but I could be wrong. I say this only because history for me has been up to a week between order data and posting.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:39 am

Got an email from Visa Savings Edge that the relationship is ending 12/31/2014.

A Special Note from Visa SavingsEdgeŽ

As the year comes to a close, don't forget the Staples offer ends on December 31, 2014. Visa SavingsEdge has even more in store for you in 2015. So, check back regularly to see what's new and download one of the convenient mobile apps to locate participating merchants near you:

Download for Android Download for iPhone

Have a safe and happy new year.

Find even more ways to save with Visa SavingsEdgeŽ.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:10 pm

Does Staples tell Chase I am buying gift cards?

Slightly off topic as this is about these $200 cards being purchased in store.

I was looking over the Visa supplier page and noticed that all the Staples stores I go to are not listed as having Enhanced Data (either Level II or Level III). Does anyone know if that list is up to date? A forum search didn't reveal much, but people did say casually every now and then that Staples reports Level III data. I wonder if this is store specific or not.

The reason i am curious is that if these stores truly have no level III data I might start adding some random pens and paper clips to my orders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.