Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:56 pm

Deleted
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:32 pm

My first real problem with the Staples VGC through GCM. I ordered 5, and got the activation codes as well as the cards. I activated them all, then when I tried to change the pin on all of them, I could not. Whether I did it online or by phone, when I input the numbers, exp date and CVV it says invalid info. I called GCM and they say they are all activated and referred me to Cardholder services. After 20 min on hold, I gave up for now, and will try again tomorrow. Anyone have similar issues?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:24 pm

Why would you want to change the PINs? The strategy with these gift cards is to use them immediately, thus never actually needing a real PIN.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ncsam79
My first real problem with the Staples VGC through GCM. I ordered 5, and got the activation codes as well as the cards. I activated them all, then when I tried to change the pin on all of them, I could not. Whether I did it online or by phone, when I input the numbers, exp date and CVV it says invalid info. I called GCM and they say they are all activated and referred me to Cardholder services. After 20 min on hold, I gave up for now, and will try again tomorrow. Anyone have similar issues?
I didn't have that exact problem, but maybe the same thing: A few weeks ago I got a VGC from staples.com, activated it via phone, added it to gowallet.com, set the PIN there (successfully, I think), made a couple purchases with the card. Then a couple days ago, I couldn't view the transactions for that card on gowallet.com; it acts like the card was previously registered by someone else. I called Metabank; they said their system had some maintenance recently and some things aren't working; they opened a ticket to try to fix it.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:42 pm

Meta/Gowallet definitely is having quite some widespread issues. Personally I ran into all the issues mentioned above. In addition, today the system didn't take the pre-set pin (last 4 digits) while unloading at both Kate and cashier initially. Had to try few times to get it to work. Also when I called in a couple of days ago, the CSR told me they were having issues with their system and couldn't do anything.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Staples rebates delay

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
I think ive answered this like 6 times in 2 different threads now. Because of the holiday extended return period, no rebates were fulfilled in the month of December, and therefore you should get it next week.
Yes, I am waiting as well for the $15 rebate of early Dec. and some other FAR offers worth much more.

Thanks for the holiday hold period reminder.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've collected a lot of those $20 Visa rebate cards from past Staples deals and I forgot about a couple of them. Both expired on 11/14, one has $17 value and the other $2-3. The terms on the back state that there's no monthly charge for the first 6 months, then $3/mo after that. I think the cards expire after 1 year, so 6 months of $3 fees basically will empty my card out. I tried calling the number on the back of the card, but I can't get through to a human operator. The FAQ on the website says that if I call BEFORE the expiration date, I can get a new card with an extended expiration. I see the $2.xx one as a lost cause. Should I just give up on the $17 card as well?
I had a card expire on me that had fees deducted. I contacted them AFTER the expiration date, and the card was reissued with the full amount. If I remember correctly, I found a different phone number listed under the Lost/Stolen card link where I was able to speak to someone.

I also had another card that I tried to use at Staples in the month it was to due to expire. They couldn't get the card to work, so he manually deducted the amount from my purchase and cut up the card. Needless to say, I will be burning those ASAP from now on.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:31 pm

thought it was per calendar year and bought some GC, called in 10 min later to have them cancel my order. 50k is not calendar year, but cardmember year, will report back if issues arise. dumb error on my part.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:17 pm

Saw something on the Techbargains website where under a Sears GC deal, it said the following...

NOTE: For Chase Ink Plus or Ink Bold members who get 5X points on office supplies, the vendor "giftcardmall" works with Staples and is considered by the credit card to be an office supply retailer. That means you'll get 5X points on this deal if you pay with one of those cards.

Does this mean that GiftCardMall counts as an office supply store for Ink?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jk77341
Saw something on the Techbargains website where under a Sears GC deal, it said the following...

NOTE: For Chase Ink Plus or Ink Bold members who get 5X points on office supplies, the vendor "giftcardmall" works with Staples and is considered by the credit card to be an office supply retailer. That means you'll get 5X points on this deal if you pay with one of those cards.

You won't know until you try.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:38 pm

What kind of $200 VGC spend are you planning to put on your Chase Ink this year?

Anyone going to the max with mostly VGC? I have a TON of natural spend to which I can apply the cards and get 5x everywhere. I'm wondering how much Chase tolerates...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by jk77341

From https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp#

GIFTCARDMALL COM VM

6220 STONERIDGE MALL RD
PLEASANTON CA 94588
(925) 226-9990

1.0 miles

GENERAL MERCHANDISE - 5999

N/A

Originally Posted by Mortgasm
What kind of $200 VGC spend are you planning to put on your Chase Ink this year?

Anyone going to the max with mostly VGC? I have a TON of natural spend to which I can apply the cards and get 5x everywhere. I'm wondering how much Chase tolerates...
Chase tolerates 50K spend/year (250K UR from your 5x multiplier [200K bonus UR on top of the base 50K UR)]
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by weezl

Chase tolerates 50K spend/year (250K UR from your 5x multiplier [200K bonus UR on top of the base 50K UR)]
So if I am keeping $4K of VGCs only from staples each month, it shouldnt be an issue with Chase? reading all those horror stories makes me wanna go easy on Chase but its 250K URs, hard to resist
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I have heard people on in person meetups that do $5k a month. Any more consistently (i.e. 10k just to try to hit the cap in five months) is probably a bad idea, as is spending more than your monthly credit limit and paying back early. I am mixing other spend - just did some EBay gift cards through GCM, domain name renewals, and my phone bills.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by calwatch
I have heard people on in person meetups that do $5k a month. Any more consistently (i.e. 10k just to try to hit the cap in five months) is probably a bad idea, as is spending more than your monthly credit limit and paying back early. I am mixing other spend - just did some EBay gift cards through GCM, domain name renewals, and my phone bills.
Yeah, trying to mix in as many normal spend on the card to blend in.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.