Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sechs
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

2/25/2015 - Single payment limit raised to $2999 when using credit or debit cards. Maximum payments per calendar month per individual biller account raised from 1 to 4.

2/18/2015 - Beginning next week, certain debit cards from smaller banks, as well as prepaid debit cards and gift cards will be subject to a 3 percent Bill Pay Fee on each payment.

Evolve now accepts Discover, Visa and Mastercard credit cards with 3% fee.

Debit Cards Not Charged the 3% Fee:
  • Insert here
  • US Bank (but not prepaid)

Transaction Limits:
http://www.evolvemoney.com/transaction-limits/

Daily dollar limits include:
  • $2,999.00 in payments funded by a debit card and/or credit card
  • $999.00 in payments funded by a cash load pack

Individual bill pay dollar limits include:
  • $2999.00 for a single bill funded by a debit card and/or credit card
  • $999.00 for a single bill funded by a cash load pack

Monthly payment limits include:
  • 4 payments per month using a credit or debit card within the dollar limits listed above.
  • Unlimited number of payments per month using a cash load pack within the dollar limits listed above.
  • Maximum of $10,000 total payments per month for credit, debit, and cash load packs combined.

The limits are based on charge date, not payment date.

There are currently no credit cards that can be paid via Evolve.

Tips for Using Evolve
  • No need to register your debit card
  • If your transaction does not go through, you will have to wait for the authorization to fall off your card
  • Using multiple Evolve accounts paying the same biller may lead to your biller being permanently blocked
  • If using GCs with the new scheduling feature, it is important to schedule in such a way that it says your card will be charged today (not on a future date) to prevent a decline; and if you want to avoid the Express Pay fee this also means typically scheduling a few days out (click each date to find one without the fee but still charges your card today).

Mortgages Section
Let us know if payments auto apply to principal or if you have to call

Bank of America: After making 4 payments over the weekend you MUST call (or use online banking messaging) to allocate funds to the regular payment - by default it goes to principal.

Central Mortgage: Appears to go to additional principal payment. YMMV

Chase: Payments with JPMorgan have to fall within a ~5-day window in order for them to be unallocated, otherwise they go to principal. Your window depends on the billing date (usually the 1st of the month). If so, the window is until the 5th, so using Evolve, you have to allow for the payment to post and have it post between ~the 1st and the 5th. PITA

Citi: Made two payments near the end of the month and these were originally "unapplied" and labeled as "additional funds received". A day or two afterwards they moved to principal payments. A quick call to Citi had the payments moved from principal to make up my monthly mortgage payment.

Nationstar Mortgage: Payment applied as an "Additional principal payment" if you sent before the 1st of the month. If you pay after the first, the payment is held until you submit the full payment amount, and then the whole thing is applied to your monthly payment.

PNC: Partial payments will be held aside until payment in full is made. They will send a letter.

Provident Funding: Does not accept partial payments. After month's mortgage is paid, accepts Evolve a additional principal payments.

US Bank: Made 4 payments in June; after a couple of days, payments moved from principal payment to applying to monthly payment w/o a call

Wells Fargo: Two $500 payments day 1, One $500 payment day 2 going over the actual mortgage payment amount due. The payment automatically combined itself to pay the exact amount due once the Third hit. Any amount that was overpaid subsequently went towards principal. Nice to not have to send in the Exact amount, if you don't mind paying some extra principal.

"If you have any problems with gift cards please send us an email at support [at] evolvemoney.com" [Source: AlexAtEvolveMoney]
Print Wikipost

Evolve Money

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
But won't they apply all $1000 into principal only because it's less than minimum due?
You should probably ask them that, not me.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:17 pm

My mortgage company (provident funding) doesn't like partial payment, this is no use to me.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
I wonder how Evolve Money makes a profit on free debit payments.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:50 am

While this isn't a huge money maker it might work to earn some points with items I normally pay from my checking account. I paid my car payment using my nw buxx card and we'll see what happens. Unfortunately my tax collector isn't on there since my prop tax is due and under $800 this year. Thanks OP.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by cuebert
I wonder how Evolve Money makes a profit on free debit payments.
Billers likely pay commission to them.
Some overpriced service companies, like Verizon, can afford it easily.

Also their same day payments are not free.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
Looks interesting. OP, have you signed up or used them for bill pay already?
I haven't. I just came across their website while searching online bill pay providers. Only company I saw that I could use was my energy company. However, I did see where they said they are adding new payee's all the time and if you don't see yours to contact them..........
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Barry331
I haven't. I just came across their website while searching online bill pay providers. Only company I saw that I could use was my energy company. However, I did see where they said they are adding new payee's all the time and if you don't see yours to contact them..........
I contacted them and told them to add USAA Auto loans and PenFed Auto loans. They replied and said they are adding everyday.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by pier11
Verizon can certainly afford to pay commission, but I doubt my power company would pay anyone anything to handle payments. If I try to pay that bill in cash at my friendly grocery store they'll charge a fee.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
This may well be correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if the money flows the other way. When we pay bills through this new service Evolve gains information about our spending patterns and an idea of our income. That information probably has some value to the marketing industry.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also their same day payments are not free.
Have you ever seen an instance where you know for sure a biller paid a commission, outside of a collection agency or similar?

Years ago, lenders offered discounts for auto-pay (some may still) but I haven't seen a company like a utility do anything like pay a commission.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
There must be some sort of kickback to these types of companies. I've had an account at mycheckfree.com for about 7 years (they allow credit card for some things, but most bills are constrained to EFTs from your bank account). There's no way that a company like that could last for 7 years transferring money to pay bills without getting something from the billing company.

That being said, Evolve has my utility companies and the local Safeway has Reloadit packs which I can get with credit card, so I think it's worth a shot.

edit: Maybe these companies are making interest off holding the funds for a few days? With a large amount of money in aggregate, the interest could be sizable.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dadamn
That being said, Evolve has my utility companies and the local Safeway has Reloadit packs which I can get with credit card, so I think it's worth a shot.
Are you sure your RELoadit packs don't say cash only.
They (Safeway) pulled all of the ones in my area off during August from the shelf and changed them to cash only.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dadamn
There must be some sort of kickback to these types of companies. I've had an account at mycheckfree.com for about 7 years (they allow credit card for some things, but most bills are constrained to EFTs from your bank account). There's no way that a company like that could last for 7 years transferring money to pay bills without getting something from the billing company.

edit: Maybe these companies are making interest off holding the funds for a few days? With a large amount of money in aggregate, the interest could be sizable.
For Checkfree, my assumption has always been that it's cheaper for a bank to pay Checkfree to ACH a payment than to let a customer write a check and to have to process and store or scan that piece of paper. I'm pretty sure that Checkfree isn't making money from billers.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:55 pm

Any one with experience in payment to these 529 plans? Maybe it's time to open one.... (Only earnings are subject to a withdrawal penalty, so you can take it out immediately without penalty.)

Ishares 529 Plan
Learning Quest 529 Education Savings Program
Most Missouri's 529 College Savings Plan
New York 529 College Savings Program Advisor Plan
New Yorks 529 College Savings Program
Pennsylvanias College Savings Program 529 Direct I
Schwab 529 College Savings Plan
Schwab Learning Quest 529 Plan
State of IN College Choice 529 Investment Plan
State of Indiana College Choice 529 Advisor Plan
TD Ameritrade 529 College Savings Plan
USAA 529 College Savings Plan
Vanguard 529 College Savings Plan

Last edited by shel; Jan 16, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by kxc262
Are you sure your RELoadit packs don't say cash only.
They (Safeway) pulled all of the ones in my area off during August from the shelf and changed them to cash only.
RELoadits have always said "cash only". It all depends on the cashier......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.