Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 5:33 pm

I tried to buy 2 sunniest last weekend because I've heard chatter, register still spits out the same error. Possibly YMMV but still seems impossible to me.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TopSpin46
I tried to buy 2 sunniest last weekend because I've heard chatter, register still spits out the same error. Possibly YMMV but still seems impossible to me.
Ya, AFAIK, 1 Card per transaction.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
You can buy multiple Sunnies in one transactions, but not GDs.
In my experience, it's always been individual for both. The register doesn't have provision for another item. You can't even buy a candy bar.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:29 am

Thanks everyone
Old May 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Seems my local walmart has started new procedure. When I buy VGC, the transaction goes through as usual, after terminal prints my receipt, I can see "waiting on CSM" on the display. It seems CSM remotely approves this, the terminal prints another receipt which cashier saves it. I'm not sure what they are up to? If I buy one more VGC after the 1st one, the same procedure repeats.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:21 am

your activity is being monitored !
Old May 30, 2016, 2:23 pm

So something weird happened this weekend trying to buy vGCs at WM. 1st store we each bought a single vGC for $500 from Green Dot (the former Sunnies). Store #2 I buy a $500 vGC with my Citi AA card and then my wife tries with her Surpass card and it says "canceled" and then "tender not allowed". Tried my Citi card for her vGC and it is also canceled. Went and got the exact same card I just bought and tried that and all those tries were canceled too. Cashier says you can't buy vGC with CC even though I had just done it before her. CSM came back to cancel that and said it should work, but she had no idea why it didn't. We should've tried another cashier but didn't want extra attention.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Superorb
So something weird happened this weekend trying to buy vGCs at WM. 1st store we each bought a single vGC for $500 from Green Dot (the former Sunnies). Store #2 I buy a $500 vGC with my Citi AA card and then my wife tries with her Surpass card and it says "canceled" and then "tender not allowed". Tried my Citi card for her vGC and it is also canceled. Went and got the exact same card I just bought and tried that and all those tries were canceled too. Cashier says you can't buy vGC with CC even though I had just done it before her. CSM came back to cancel that and said it should work, but she had no idea why it didn't. We should've tried another cashier but didn't want extra attention.
Periodically you'll run into this. Your CC approves and everything is fine, except the transactions craps out at the point where the GC should be activated, and you're left with a pending charge for a week. Probably some software error at that particular store.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Periodically you'll run into this. Your CC approves and everything is fine, except the transactions craps out at the point where the GC should be activated, and you're left with a pending charge for a week. Probably some software error at that particular store.
In my case there are no pending charges on either credit cards for the canceled ones. The terminal says Transaction Cancelled instead of Approved, and then a CSM needs to come and turn a key to cancel/void out everything. What's weird is that I was able to buy a vGC first and then the error happened on the 2nd and 3rd ones that we tried. It's a total PITA and brings unwanted attention.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:02 am

Same Error Happened to Me

Originally Posted by Superorb
In my case there are no pending charges on either credit cards for the canceled ones. The terminal says Transaction Cancelled instead of Approved, and then a CSM needs to come and turn a key to cancel/void out everything. What's weird is that I was able to buy a vGC first and then the error happened on the 2nd and 3rd ones that we tried. It's a total PITA and brings unwanted attention.
Superorb: I experienced the same error attempting to purchase a VGC yesterday. I'll try again in a few days and see if the dust settles any. Could have tried another card or terminal, but didn't want to draw the extra attention.

Interestingly enough, the cashier told me that gift cards were debit only and that I needed to enter my pin. Probably untrue, but that is what I was told anyway.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Markemark
Superorb: I experienced the same error attempting to purchase a VGC yesterday. I'll try again in a few days and see if the dust settles any. Could have tried another card or terminal, but didn't want to draw the extra attention.

Interestingly enough, the cashier told me that gift cards were debit only and that I needed to enter my pin. Probably untrue, but that is what I was told anyway.
Have had issues with the "TENDER NOT ALLOWED TOO." I think it's their system that craps/bugs out. I do feel a bit embarrassed when they open the package, scan it, and then the transaction fails. SOMETIMES the transaction can't be canceled and they need the CSM to come over to approve the cancellation. And of course, they always say debit only after they tell me that CCs aren't allowed.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Markemark

There's some button that pops up on their screen that they need to hit at just the right time or the system times out and says Tender Not Allowed. Some older registers require hitting the "Debit/Credit" button. Unless something changed very recently, it's totally the fault of the cashier when that happens. Obviously if you're a regular and go to some store often they eventually learn how to do it right.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
There's some button that pops up on their screen that they need to hit at just the right time or the system times out and says Tender Not Allowed. Some older registers require hitting the "Debit/Credit" button. Unless something changed very recently, it's totally the fault of the cashier when that happens. Obviously if you're a regular and go to some store often they eventually learn how to do it right.
I asked the cashier if he did anything differently from the 1st successful transaction and he said there's only 1 button to press and he pressed it fairly quickly. Though, I'm not sure if he needed to press it before or after I inserted my card.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:27 pm

Anyone buying mutilple $500 VGCs prefer to fly under radar and not draw unwanted attention. How many VGCs you buy at a time? If you buy too many, that will draw an attention, if you buy few, rinse and repeat that can also draw attention as they see you in different lines around the same time frame.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Anyone buying mutilple $500 VGCs prefer to fly under radar and not draw unwanted attention. How many VGCs you buy at a time? If you buy too many, that will draw an attention, if you buy few, rinse and repeat that can also draw attention as they see you in different lines around the same time frame.
That's tricky, depends on the manager at the store. Some are paranoid and will ban you if you buy too many out of nowhere. Best to slowly "season" the store and ramp it up. I can now routinely get away with $4-6k at most stores where I buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.