Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by pointchaser93
How many people have been getting the following message when using fivebacks at CVS:

Alternate Form of Payment Required

I and several other area MSers were have been unable to use fivebacks at CVS the past 1-2 days. I tried every combination of credit/debt, swipe up/down, buying 1 card or 4 cards, etc. Nothing worked. Trying to figure out if this is the beginning of the end for this method, temporary system error, bad batches of cards, being done on CVS's end, Blackhawk's end. Any DPs appreciated.
Looks to be the beginning of the end.

Update: Per post 11691 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27700877-post11691.html, it may have been a non-issue.

Last edited by geclub1; Jan 3, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:09 pm

if it is the beginning of the end, there must be a cap of some sort.

I just used 5, but on smaller amounts.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
How many people have been getting the following message when using fivebacks at CVS:

Alternate Form of Payment Required

I and several other area MSers were have been unable to use fivebacks at CVS the past 1-2 days. I tried every combination of credit/debt, swipe up/down, buying 1 card or 4 cards, etc. Nothing worked. Trying to figure out if this is the beginning of the end for this method, temporary system error, bad batches of cards, being done on CVS's end, Blackhawk's end. Any DPs appreciated.

Today?

Where is your location? I was fine in NY yesterday.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Bought some Amazon GC this morning using 5B card. No problem.

Assume a temporary system error until proven otherwise.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:33 pm

bought some today again also
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:34 pm

no issues today here
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I'm in Cincinnati. Have had sporadic reports from MSP as well. It's hit or miss, different people having both successes and failures at the same CVS locations with 5backs purchased from the same Simon.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:10 pm

I haven't been in cvs much the past year, but was there today with a familiar and ms friendly cashier. he immediately warned that he couldn't sell cards if the payment was a "gift card". said the system would ask for another payment type even if he tried, but that he wouldn't; as he got in trouble for accepting gift cards recently. he said there is a corporate memo instructing that cards must have your name on it.

he's a low maintenance college kid who wouldn't make this up (of course, his boss could have- but it does go with some of the other reports).

anyway, was able to do the transaction at another store w/out incident...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
I haven't been in cvs much the past year, but was there today with a familiar and ms friendly cashier. he immediately warned that he couldn't sell cards if the payment was a "gift card". said the system would ask for another payment type even if he tried, but that he wouldn't; as he got in trouble for accepting gift cards recently. he said there is a corporate memo instructing that cards must have your name on it.

he's a low maintenance college kid who wouldn't make this up (of course, his boss could have- but it does go with some of the other reports).

anyway, was able to do the transaction at another store w/out incident...
It's becoming a real PITA real fast... so sad!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
thread closure

Please continue the discussion in the new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ad-2017-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.