Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Chase Gift Cards:
GAME OVER

We’re sorry, but we no longer offer Chase Gift Cards.

We will continue to honor current Chase Gift Cards. If you have a Chase Gift Card, you may continue to use it until the funds are depleted or upon card expiration.
If your existing Chase Gift Card has been damaged, lost or stolen, you can redeem the balance or get a replacement Card by calling us at
1-866-466-0079, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Use that number if you have questions about your existing Chase Gift Card.

www.chasewebgiftpurchase.com/index.cfm - [No longer working]

https://www.chase.com/online/Checking/gift-card.htm/ [No longer working as of 9/20/13]

$500 max value per card

Can be used as debit
Call # on card to set pin

There are some limitations to using gift cards as opposed to debit cards, but these are functioning very well as debit cards. So please follow the number one rule of manufactured spend: DON"T CALL THE BANKS.
Print Wikipost

Chase Gift Cards [Ending: 9.22.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jimbaum
Hi,
This deal hasn't interested me thus far, since I only fly AA and I have no good Chase mileage cards.

I do have a Marriott card and a Freedom card, however. Just wasn't sure if I should buy the maximum on these cards since it is the last opportunity. I've been torn for several days on this now and was trying to weigh the risk versus rewards (my understanding is that I would need to liquidate at WM onto BB, and if it fails to use up cards on my own). Seems with the cards I have, even if GCs are a freebie, they are not adding up to be a good deal.

Thoughts welcome to help me decide.
Well, if you think you'd get approved for the CSP, go ahead get it today (ask them to expedite shipment) then meet 87% of your minimum spend with something that, even if you can't cash it out with BB and WM, is basically a cash equivalent.

If you spend another $400 within the 3 months, that's a cool 43,000 UR points that can be 1:1 transferred to United, Southwest, BA, Korean, Amtrak, and various hotel programs.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
While utilizing Chase gift cards saved some money when compared to purchasing VR's they were a pain sometimes to unload... having to call for each card to activate and set a pin.. then hope that the machine at walmart was working.. then having a manager come punch in a code when trying to load more than $1.5k.. not to mention these things came USPS and could get lost in the mail. I'm also starting to wonder if there was a higher risk to getting shut down by Chase when compared to other manufactured spending methods.
totally agreed, i always wondered why in the world chase would encourage MS on their cards without earning the fees. guess i was a little paranoid. but also they were indeed a little more difficult to use and the risk of them being stolen in the mail put me on edge. blows me away that people order thousands of dollars worth at a time, i guess maybe others can afford to lose or have funds tieds up more than i can. didn't gain as much but we all have to do what is comfortable.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by phantasmic
totally agreed, i always wondered why in the world chase would encourage MS on their cards without earning the fees.
My guess is the revenue didn't hurt.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
None of my statements say anything about Chase gift cards, or that they're no longer being issued after Sept 22 for that matter.
same here, none of mine have anything about GCs.
but now that multiple people seem to confirm this - I ordered 4 more "employee" inks, received them next day. maxing out this chicken.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
My guess is the revenue didn't hurt.
Aside from mile/point payouts and the cost of printing and shipping the cards, I'm guessing that the profits come from people forgetting to use their gift cards and the subsequent fee ($2.50/month) that comes with it. Chase only needs about 1% of the GC funds to be unused in order to break even. I'm not sure if that much money will be "forgotten" though, since I think most of the CGC buyers are trying to manufacture spend for the points.

Last edited by flyertalkingallday; Sep 11, 2013 at 10:21 pm
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:46 pm

... most of the CGC buyers are trying to manufacture spend for the points.
Do you have some inside knowledge of this?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I'm assuming you have 4 Chase cards? Also, I would not wait until the 22nd. I would do it on the 21st. The term "we will no longer" is likely meant to mean that on the 22nd there will be no more GC from Chase.
Yes, four cards. Good suggestion on the 21st.

Maybe I can get an extra Ink expedited for my "employee" before the deadline.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:09 pm

I ordered several "employee" cards and have a friend and family member paying their cable/cell bills that way. Never thought of asking them to order gift cards though..... hmmmmm

Originally Posted by djrez4
Yes, four cards. Good suggestion on the 21st.

Maybe I can get an extra Ink expedited for my "employee" before the deadline.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Do you have some inside knowledge of this?
I think most of the CGC buyers are trying to manufacture spend for the points. I stand corrected.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:31 pm

I think most of the CGC buyers are trying to manufacture spend for the points. I stand corrected.
...and what difference does it make and how is "what you think" related to the topic?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Unfortunately, my last major purchase was on the 25th, so the 22nd will come too soon for me However, I usually only go to 2.5k, so I just capped off the 2.6k with a few orders for 100 a piece. Might as well get the most out of it while it lasts. BTW, no notice on my CSP statement which just came out yesterday. Anyone got a photo/screen grab from their bank statements with the notice?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:45 pm

I did not get any notice either on my statements.

Must be special.

However, I tend to believe this is the case with Chase

It was nice while it lasted...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
...and what difference does it make and how is "what you think" related to the topic?
I thought we were discussing the profitability of CGCs.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:50 pm

I thought we were discussing the profitability of CGCs.
I thought we were discussing the beauty of CGCs and the upcoming brutal end to this beauty..

I think most of the CGC buyers are trying to manufacture spend for the points
what does this statement have to do w/the profitability of CCCs?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
what does this statement have to do w/the profitability of CCCs?
If Chase makes a profit on CGCs by relying on unused balances then the fact that people are using these GCs for MS could make a big difference to profitability. If you can't figure out why then you're probably in the wrong forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.