Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JamieDee78
I currently send my landlord my monthly rent for $450 through Amazon Payments. I would love to be able to maximize my $1,000 monthly availability by sending $550 to my parents every month. They are not very computer savvy to say the least.

Is it okay if I do this??

Next time I go home, I will go on their computer and set up an Amazon Payments account for them and send them the $550. While in their account, can I then send the $550 directly to my bank account every month, or will Amazon see this as suspicious? I'd rather have them not have to go to the bank to retrieve the money, write a check, etc. back to me.
While some people go out of their way to use different computers with different IP addresses, I've had success logging into my sister's AP account and handling transactions on her behalf (with her permission of course).

As for transferring the money out, I deposit into her Amex Serve account, which can then bill pay my credit card if she so chose. Again, everything I just said could be done without actually going to her computer.

Just remember that when setting up AP for your parents and linking a bank account, you will need to provide their Social Security and a Driver's License #.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
by wrong email, do you mean someone with NO AP account? or if they have an AP account, can you trust them to send it back to you in other forms, i.e, personal check? if the latter is possible, that might be the best solution so as not to involve amazon. please keep us posted if your issue was resolved and hopefully, it is not complicated.

I'm thinking of a situation where the payee also has an AP and since they received a certain amount, do they have option to keep it if they want to? Although we can initiate a refund, I wonder if amazon will act like paypal in behalf of the sender to get back money. I dread to contact AP for similar issues that's why I'm extra careful in sending $.
OK, I by mistake sent [email protected] instead of [email protected] anyways after I clicked for a refund several hours later, the $500 refund was back into the Vanilla Visa Gift card account and I was able to send to the proper email.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Longest I have seen was 6 months. Most times shorter. Email them and wait at their discretion.

BTW, regarding BB cannot give details.

Also, be aware that the grocery GC>MO biz is dying. Seen 2 bank cards refuse GC purchases at stores in the last week. This old auditor suspects the FT wiki has helped create a transaction kill list based on vendor and purchase amount range. Those making it easier for novice MS folk are making it easier for audit folk, too.
I tried to get one of the mods to see this, but it was to no avail.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by maternts
I just did an AP using my AACiti and received the same posting.

The AP transaction was what put me over the minimum spend. My statement comes out on the 11th and the balance is paid off, so I'll let you know if the change in the way they post AP caused any issues with my miles posting.
Citi is posting Amazon Payments as purchases. I received my statement yesterday and the AP posting went through as a purchase.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:32 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I tried to get one of the mods to see this, but it was to no avail.
A lot of us have moved elsewhere for MS discussions because of this. TDD, it's time to move on.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
^
Citi is posting Amazon Payments as purchases. I received my statement yesterday and the AP posting went through as a purchase.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
If only a FAQs existed in the wiki to answer this old question.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
Originally Posted by aegt123
I keep getting the following error on two out of the four accounts that I manage.

The target account cannot receive money.

Any idea what's going on? I have never tried sending money to these two accounts, so I don't know if this is a new development. Available limits under both of these account shows $1K remaining for both receiving and sending.
Also keep getting the same message "The target account cannot receive money". Anyone knows what it means ?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by deemkaa
Also keep getting the same message "The target account cannot receive money". Anyone knows what it means ?
Possibly the receiver has already exceeded the amount he/she is allowed to receive that month.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: Several dozen

Originally Posted by deemkaa
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by hightide
Possibly the receiver has already exceeded the amount he/she is allowed to receive that month.
Do you have a real CC tied to the account?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:11 am
Suspended

I use my CC for AP on my wife's account (and another family member, different address) but now I (she, or someone else) can't send the money using my CC. Is this something new or I am the lucky one who got chosen for this treatment?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by nadir576
I use my CC for AP on my wife's account (and another family member, different address) but now I (she, or someone else) can't send the money using my CC. Is this something new or I am the lucky one who got chosen for this treatment?
you used your CC with your name on your wife's AP account? if yes, I think you flagged yourself because you can only use CCs in your name to send to someone while logged in to your account but not someone else's; although you can also load unregistered AGCs in it but if you log in to another's account and use your CC, the system may have caught that and that's why you're having issues now. I know of others who used the same bank account on several AP accounts were also shutdown quickly.

You can call to check if you can fix the issue. Good luck!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:04 am

having a weird problem -
i have added a new CC to my account, but when i go to pay, its not listed in my available credit cards. I have since checked my normal amazon account, and its listed there. I have deleted every other CC and when i go to send money, it says no cards added. I can buy anything i want from amazon with it, but it wont let me send money. any ideas? first time ive seen this.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mamibear
you used your CC with your name on your wife's AP account? if yes, I think you flagged yourself because you can only use CCs in your name to send to someone while logged in to your account but not someone else's; although you can also load unregistered AGCs in it but if you log in to another's account and use your CC, the system may have caught that and that's why you're having issues now. I know of others who used the same bank account on several AP accounts were also shutdown quickly.

You can call to check if you can fix the issue. Good luck!
Bolded part is not true. I have done this several times, including just last night. I used a CC with my wifes name on it twice with my 2 accounts that have my name on it. I did an A>B (withdraw funds) and then B>A (withdraw funds). Both accounts actually have the same checking account on them as well.

The pending status on the 2nd transaction did take about 2 hours to clear, but it did clear. I realize that I am playing with fire doing it the way I do, but I don't use it often and so I just take the risk. Had a 2k minimum spend that I needed to hit on a new card so I wsnted to take care of it asap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.