Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by imdeng
Folks - I have set up AP account for myself and spouse (A and B). This month I transferred 100 and 900 A to B, withdraw in B; then 400 and 600 B to A, withdraw in A. If I continue doing this, will it lead to a shutdown? Maybe. OGK. The two accounts are linked to two different checking accounts and two different CCs.

If yes, then I will default down to just A to B payment of 1000 each month and forgo the reverse loop. Just wanted to check first.
there's no rhyme or reason for some shutdowns reported. just enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: csp chase sw chase united barclay hilton citi aa
Originally Posted by Mamibear
there's no rhyme or reason for some shutdowns reported. just enjoy it while it lasts.
sounds like risky behavior.. you might wanna look around for another friend family member to help your cause.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Here is what my plan is for MS on AP. Tell me if you think Amazon will find any of this suspicious and would close my account:

A > B
Rent payment of $xxx.00 per month sent to landlord overseas whom does not live here. This money I will never have sent back to me, obviously.

A > C > A
I plan to use the remaining $1,000 space to send money to my mother where $xxx.00 is slightly more than $xxx.00 for rent above. I will then log into "her" AP account each month and transfer the funds back to my account. It's a totally different account from my own with different driver's license, her SSN, phone, etc. and will only access it from a library computer so it's a different IP address than my home computer.

So even though I am sending a total of $1,000 per month between two people, I will only be receiving back what I send to my mother every month, thus it isn't 1,000 >< 1,000 >< 1,000 >,,,etc every month between the classic A > B > A setup which looks less suspicious? Do you think I will get flagged at all for doing this?

Last edited by JamieDee78; Aug 27, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:29 pm

Sending between two accounts is probably the most common way of getting flagged, but its not guaranteed.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:05 am

I just received the email to fax Amazon a copy of a recent credit card billing statement. This was the first time I sent money from this account (I have received and withdrawn). I used an Amex GC that wasn't registered. I've done this before from different accounts with success. All accounts have different SSN, bank accounts, and CC #'s.

Is this one done or what information should I send them?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by imdeng
Folks - I have set up AP account for myself and spouse (A and B). This month I transferred 100 and 900 A to B, withdraw in B; then 400 and 600 B to A, withdraw in A. If I continue doing this, will it lead to a shutdown? The two accounts are linked to two different checking accounts and two different CCs.

If yes, then I will default down to just A to B payment of 1000 each month and forgo the reverse loop. Just wanted to check first.
Yes, this is risky as some (not all) have been shutdown for doing this.
Data: one of my family member and his wife was doing A-B-A and got shutdown last year after about 6 mths
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Do they verify the name when adding a bank account? Thinking of adding my bank acct to DH's AP acct, but using his name.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:43 pm

Quick question -

Is it possible to access AP while abroad, or are there restrictions based on location of the IP? I'll be traveling most of the next month so trying to determine if I'll be able to go through my usual AP transactions from afar.

Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Quick question -

Is it possible to access AP while abroad, or are there restrictions based on location of the IP? I'll be traveling most of the next month so trying to determine if I'll be able to go through my usual AP transactions from afar.

Thanks.
I did overseas before.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Quick question -

Thanks.
I don't have personal experience, but, FWIW, there are reports (here and elsewhere) that varying IP addresses might trigger fraud alert/review by AP.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:05 pm

Amazon Payments Blacklist?

I've been doing MS through several family accounts on Amazon Payments for the past six months, and then suddenly last month two of my accounts got shut down. I follow the rules generally, except for the same IP rules I later learned here. So now I set up Ultrasurf and reset IP for each transaction. I also have had their previous accounts closed.

Problem is, if I set up new accounts for the family members who were shut down, even if I vary their addresses and use different cards (and vary IP), they get shut down right away after I send money with a credit card. I get an email about multiple accounts or circumventing their limits. Same email each time - I've done this twice this past month for each person.

Do you think there is a blacklist by SSN? Should I wait a matter of time? Anyone have any success once this happens? Much appreciated!

Last edited by jchurnit7; Aug 29, 2014 at 6:22 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:20 pm

Wow! Do you mean Amazon Payments?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-payments.html
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by EVA777
Ah yes, corrected!

I searched through that thread and couldn't find an answer to closing and successfully reopening. Maybe this is something new?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jchurnit7
I've been doing MS through several family accounts on Amazon Payments for the past six months, and then suddenly last month two of my accounts got shut down. I follow the rules generally, except for the same IP rules I later learned here. So now I set up Ultrasurf and reset IP for each transaction. I also have had their previous accounts closed.

Problem is, if I set up new accounts for the family members who were shut down, even if I vary their addresses and use different cards (and vary IP), they get shut down right away after I send money with a credit card. I get an email about multiple accounts or circumventing their limits. Same email each time - I've done this twice this past month for each person.

Do you think there is a blacklist by SSN? Should I wait a matter of time? Anyone have any success once this happens? Much appreciated!

My brother was shut down over 18 mths ago. He had no problem signing up new acct and everything verified with new CC, different bank accts and emails and different computer. The acct shows as being active But when he tried to actually send money, it would not let him. Then followed by email saying acct now closed. So best guess is they keep track by your SSN. Brother now hoping 2 yrs is the time limit for Amz but he is not putting any bets on this as once they have your SSN on file it could be a lifetime ban.

Last edited by tomcanada22; Aug 29, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jchurnit7

I searched through that thread and couldn't find an answer to closing and successfully reopening. Maybe this is something new?

Maybe because there have been very little success stories to share

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.