Search

RC cuts staff/hours and flowers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

RC cuts staff/hours and flowers

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123258843988104803.html

The Ritz-Carlton, an upscale chain owned by Marriott, has begun doing away with displays of fresh-cut flowers in hotels around the U.S. Instead, the chain is setting up apples or potted plants, which are cheaper and need replenishing less often. "It isn't something that the guest is going to notice, but yet it can cause considerable savings," says Vivian Deuschl, vice president of public relations for Ritz-Carlton.

Ritz-Carlton, like many other hotel properties, also is reducing operating hours for restaurants, spas and retail shops, says Ms. Deuschl. The cutbacks allow the hotels to reduce staff as well as bills for heating and cooling. Ritz's layoffs have been "in hotels where occupancy has not been able to justify staff-to-guest ratio," says Ms. Deuschl.

The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner in Virginia has cut opening hours for its spa, which used to be open seven days a week. Now the facility is closed on Mondays. If a guest asks for spa services on a Monday they are encouraged to schedule something later in the week, says Ms. Deuschl.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q: What's the difference between a RC and other Marriotts?

A: Apples.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I think that a number of businesses will use the global economic crisis as an excuse to cut back on service to increase profit whether or not there is a problem.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 9:07 pm

R-C Singapore

There were plans to renovate R-C Sing 2 years ago. Nothing has happened. The hotel has lost its lustre, service is OK but not quite as sharp. Could be that, like other R-C hotels, this, too, is over.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
Just stayed in the RC Berlin, plenty of fresh flowers around, good service did not see any apples! Moscow last week again no change from previous stays in terms of goodies and decoration. Might be affecting the US more than international.
Hotels are a business and everyone is adapting to the new environment. I have seen some strong drops in rates at most hotels this January, can only imagine that savings are being made somewhere.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
A more financially minded group would have capitalized on the flowers and make it a profit center with packages offering florist offerings and such.

They don't have to goto the extent that Disney did with opening their own thriving florist (it's a massive operation that is busy year round supply guests and resorts with all their floral needs) but a contract with a local florist and packages for their guests could have made this a very simple way to reduce costs and keep the offering.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I can see why RC is doing this. With less people paying high rates for a hotel they need to save money to cover costs of operating a hotel.

I hope they keep it with flowers and dont start cutting other things.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
I think that a number of businesses will use the global economic crisis as an excuse to cut back on service to increase profit whether or not there is a problem.
+1
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Benny8444
I can see why RC is doing this. With less people paying high rates for a hotel they need to save money to cover costs of operating a hotel.

I hope they keep it with flowers and dont start cutting other things.
They started cutting things LONG before the credit crunch! Thanks to Marriott.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
They started cutting things LONG before the credit crunch! Thanks to Marriott.
That is why FS is an overall better product as they dont have a parent company who makes cuts like this.

I like the RC brand only for the club level, if there was no Club Level I would be an FS person.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by Benny8444
That is why FS is an overall better product as they dont have a parent company who makes cuts like this.

I like the RC brand only for the club level, if there was no Club Level I would be an FS person.

The Four Seasons is looking to cut costs and increase profits, not just like the Ritz-Carlton but like all companies.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
The club level is the only way to go with Ritz Carlton otherwise I'd go Four Seasons. If they start making big cuts there I'll be looking at Four Seasons exclusively.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
The Four Seasons is looking to cut costs and increase profits, not just like the Ritz-Carlton but like all companies.
At least we are not noticing them like the RC cuts.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
I can't be certain that this is because of the economic downturn but we were at the FS Canary Wharf this past weekend and they 1. had no concierge, the reception desk handled all requests 2. no dedicated hotel operator, all calls went to the one front desk person 3. no flowers or apples, they did have tall beautiful glass vases. I will say we had a wonderful time and think this hotel continues to be a great London choice! I'll post a short trip report later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.