Aman-junkies Rejoice: Reconstruction of Hotel Bora Bora

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman-junkies Rejoice: Reconstruction of Hotel Bora Bora

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:51 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have edited one post and deleted a second because it looked like the argumentation from the Aman/LUH/etc development thread was on its way here.

This is absolutely the last warning. Next time this sort of thing happens, there will be time outs.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
I am interested to know what people think of Hotel Bora Bora position within the island.

Myself I found it a bit annoying as there was constantly lot of boats passing by and that, in my opinion, spoils the privacy/remote feeling.
Back in the 1980s and 1990s Bora Bora was a far sleepier place than it is today. Hotel development out on the motus was banned so visitor numbers were tiny. Then Orient Express opened up the Lagoon Resort (now closed) and this led to rather frenzied development which, to my mind and my eyes, ruined the island forever.

At the Hotel Bora Bora only one room (Vete) enjoyed the full stupendous view down the lagoon to Mount Otemanu but the hotel had a fabulous ambience. If Amanresorts ever really re-open the property it will be interesting to see if people can be lured away from the motu resorts such as the Four Seasons and St Regis. The mainland is a bit scruffy these days, with huge landfill sites and the ruins of several hotels. It's all very sad.

As far as position is concerned, the Pearl has by far the best view of the lagoon, the classic view, and it's a genuinely Polynesian hotel. It's on its own motu, at the other side of the island, away from the graspingly greedy factory farms for honeymooners where the rows of OWBs are depressingly ugly. The Pearl is the only hotel I'd stay in these days.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:14 pm

One may also venture further afield to have more authentic SPAC experiences (e.g. Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Tonga, Samoas, etc etc)

You will have to accept a bit more primitive accommodations, though, in many cases.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:55 pm

Any recommendations for the Cook Islands or other suggestions (Marquesas, Tuamotus, Gambiers, etc) for an authentic Polynesian timewarp experience?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:29 pm

The location of FS Bora Bora is magical. Depending on your suite/bungalow, you get to see this beautiful vista of Mount Otemanu hovering over the lagoon. Very special. I'm not sure if Hotel Bora Bora can live up to that. Service will be undoubtedly better at Aman, since the Four Seasons has a high room count (+ Residences).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by OliverB
Any recommendations for the Cook Islands or other suggestions (Marquesas, Tuamotus, Gambiers, etc) for an authentic Polynesian timewarp experience?
OliverB if it has not to be mandatory a resort I can suggest honestly Nomade Cruise. I have done it years ago and it was a superb experience in all senses.
They use large yacht that specifically designed to cruise in lagoons so they can venture and anchor in lovely bay where ship line cannot go.
You will visit three or four close-by islands departing from Bora Bora.

In case, I can go in details.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Nomade Cruise. I have done it years ago and it was a superb experience in all senses. They use large yacht that specifically designed to cruise in lagoons so they can venture and anchor in lovely bay where ship line cannot
youre lucky to have done it, even when it had more than 16 cabins (i really liked their size/style)

nomade yachting / bora bora cruises liquidated company and sold boats/assets after going into receivership, a victim of economy. starting with most recent then going back >

jun 2012 - listed tu moana for sale, sold aug 2013

canceled announced summer 2011 schedule >
http://www.pacific-destinations.com/tahiti/pearl.htm
Tu Moana Cruise is no longer operational. Tu Moana Cruise (Nomade Yachting) will not operate the cruises scheduled for this summer (June to September 2011). the company has stopped operations.
may / jun 2011 >
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/severine-viaud/22/557/117
Directrice des Operations Hotel
Bora Bora Cruises - Nomade Yachting
juin 2005 – mai 2011
early 2011 they announced this 2011 summer schedule for tu moana >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
now only 16 cabins and 35 crew from €1983/nt
9 4-night jul 11, jul 25, aug 1, aug 15, aug 29, sep 5, sep 12, sep 19, sep 26
3 6-night jun 27, jul 18, aug 8
TMAYER did a cruise back in 2005 when they had more cabins
2010 - no cruises

dec 2009 >
company entered receivership
listed tia moana for sale, sale price reduced feb 2010, sold sep 2010
(tia moana now "saluzi" for charter in indian ocean / asia)
announces tu moana being renovated, available for charter apr 2010

nov 2009 they did Tuamotu archipelago > http://luxurycruisebible.blogspot.co...ineraries.html

2009 comparison >

oberoi zahra (27 cabins incl tours and transfers)

FS explorer (11 cabins, from $1525 incl 2 dives/day and transfers)

bora bora cruises / nomade yachting (20 cabins, from €1785 incl alcohol)
[plus new alila purnama (only 5 cabins means smallest, and most inclusions IIRC)]

2003 > tia moana and tu moana built in australia

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
youre lucky to have done it, even when it had more than 16 cabins (i really liked their size/style)

nomade yachting / bora bora cruises sold their ships
starting from now and moving backwards in time >

jun 2012 - listed tu moana for sale, sold aug 2013

canceled announced summer 2011 schedule >
http://www.pacific-destinations.com/tahiti/pearl.htm

may / jun 2011 >
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/severine-viaud/22/557/117

early 2011 they announced this 2011 summer schedule for tu moana >

2010 - no cruises

dec 2009 >
company entered receivership
listed tia moana for sale, sale price reduced feb 2010, sold sep 2010
announces tu moana being renovated, available for charter apr 2010

nov 2009 they did Tuamotu archipelago > http://luxurycruisebible.blogspot.co...ineraries.html

2009 comparison >

[plus new alila purnama (only 5 cabins means smallest, and most inclusions IIRC)]

2003 > tia moana and tu moana built in australia
wow that's really a pity if they will not operate cruise as they did. I certainly consider it among the most rewarding holiday ever taken
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
Nothing appropriate for this forum, with perhaps the exception of Pacific Resort in Aitutaki.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:16 pm

Someone over on a TripAdvisor forum was in Bora Bora last week and went specially across to the Hotel Bora Bora location. Only one OWB still standing, otherwise a complete ruin without any evidence of work being done.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Someone over on a TripAdvisor forum was in Bora Bora last week and went specially across to the Hotel Bora Bora location. Only one OWB still standing, otherwise a complete ruin without any evidence of work being done.
Tons of conflicting info. "A new buyer is not Aman". "Renovation starts next year".
I drove by a few times last week and the site is as dead as ever.

Also found out there is a new huge hotel starting on the main island of Tahiti.
Have no idea where, not sure what the plans are as Tahiti is just a one night
stop-over for 99% of people coming...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Also found out there is a new huge hotel starting on the main island of Tahiti.
Have no idea where, not sure what the plans are as Tahiti is just a one night
stop-over for 99% of people coming...
Well, the old Hyatt Regency is still standing, sort of, so they might renovate that. Last time in Tahiti we stayed at the Radisson and looked up at the old Hyatt where we must have stayed three or four times in its various guises - it was once owned by the Hotel Bora Bora. The site is fabulous, there's a large garden and you can walk down to this beautiful little black sand beach.

The old Sofitel Maeva Beach closed a year or two ago and the Hilton before that. Tahiti is a scrapyard for hotels and Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine and Manihi all have their hotel ruins as well. It's a brave company to start a venture here.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:00 pm

Ownership of land

Tautu owned the land and the hotel had a 99 year lease. If he's gone then his son, Tauti, should be the rightful owner.

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
No. I'm told there are issues related to the ownership of the land also. The road thing is new to me. I'd be very surprised if HBB ever reopens. I don't think it can break even under the silly French labor laws. I remember Lionel Alvarez, the GM during our first stay, complaining for hours about how hard it was to staff.

I'd rather they just left it like it was and kept it open. Even with the cramped out-of-date rooms, bugs raining down from the ceiling, and road noise, HBB is still the most memorable place I have ever stayed. This was my first Aman.

They were building the FS during our last and final stay. We kayaked around the construction. What we saw of the FS comes nowhere close to to matching HBB before the (now dead) remodel.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:29 pm

Two things I noticed:
- Hotel Bora Bora was kicked off the (new) Aman website
- amanresorts.com gives me a page that simply says "OK" and no longer re-directs to Aman.com
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that the hotel no longer exists and apparently isn't going to either, it's time to stamp "fini" on this thread.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.