Aman-junkies Rejoice: Reconstruction of Hotel Bora Bora

Old May 14, 2008, 10:27 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

Just got this email...

Amanresorts announces reconstruction and re-launch plans for Hotel Bora Bora.

World renowned Hotel Bora Bora in French Polynesia which 1st opened in 1961 will close this October for a complete reconstruction and re-launch in time for its 50th anniversary.

Located on the southern tip of the island of Bora Bora, the resort offers a 270 degree view encompassing the islands of Tahaa and Raiatea to the west, the island of Maupiti to the east, the unique islet of Motu Toopua in the foreground, and the barrier reef in the distance. The chimney peaks of Mount Otemanu and Pahia provide scenic backdrops to the resort's three pristine beaches.

This is a special time to experience the resort as we celebrate its past and anticipate its rebirth. Over the next few months, all of us at Hotel Bora Bora look forward to welcoming guests who wish to experience the resort before it closes.

Warm regards,
Ian White (GM)

-----------------------------------

So, I'm both sad and stoked. It needs to be done but I hope they don't actually tear down our honeymoon bungalow. Mr. Ericka and I plan to visit over our 10th anniversary.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting news ^

what day did they open back in 1961?
(so theyre saying theyll be open by that day in 2011)

on TA forums >
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...y_Islands.html
Ia Orana from Hotel Bora Bora,

It is with much emotion that we announce today the closure of Hotel Bora Bora for complete renovation from October 1st 2008 for a period of 2 years.

The arrival of new products with sophisticated facilities in French Polynesia these past few years has made the reinvention of Hotel Bora Bora a necessity.

Several factors were taken into consideration by Amanresorts and this decision is a result of their absolute commitment to Hotel Bora Bora and its staff, its partners and clients as well as the destination of French Polynesia.

You may be certain that the reopening of the hotel will confirm its unique place in French Polynesia by adding a new dimension to it characteristic of Aman’s image and standing while paying tribute to Hotel Bora Bora’s history and mana.

Meanwhile, our priority is to ensure our guests confirmed for after October 1st 2008 are relocated in the best possible conditions. We are currently in talks with other hotels in Bora Bora to facilitate the relocations and will advise the results as soon as possible.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions and specific needs as we wish to be of as much assistance as possible to you during this time.

We would like to finish by expressing our utmost thanks for your support as always.

Sincerely,

All the team at Hotel Bora Bora

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 18, 2008 at 1:53 pm
Old May 14, 2008, 12:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
This is outstanding news... The bathrooms do need some modernization, and the existing overwater bungalows could be completely re-done to keep up with the competition. Hopefully they won't alter the basic feel of the bungalows by the beach, and hopefully they'll keep the beach free of over-water bungalows. (I suspect, however, that it will come out looking and feeling like a contemporary Aman Resort).
Old May 19, 2008, 9:35 pm

Who came up with the "junkie" term in "Amanjunkie"?
A junkie is an old American term for a drug addict, correct?
Why pair this luxury property with a term that is associated with something so negative? I really don't get it.
It's the same as saying something is "to die for", why bring up negative terms if it's supposed to be a good thing?
Old May 20, 2008, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Who came up with the "junkie" term in "Amanjunkie"?
A junkie is an old American term for a drug addict, correct?
Why pair this luxury property with a term that is associated with something so negative? I really don't get it.
It's the same as saying something is "to die for", why bring up negative terms if it's supposed to be a good thing?
Junkie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word junkie (or junky) was initially used to describe a heroin addict, “junk“ being a slang term for heroin. However, as the term gained currency, enthusiasts in any specific area began to call themselves “junkies“, as in the phrases “science fiction junkie“ or “political junkie“.

Probably the answer?
Old May 20, 2008, 5:11 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
A little more info about Hotel Bora Bora....
It will not be re-opening until sometime in 2011.
The GM is an avid snorkeler/diver (?) from the Amanwana property and assures they will try to protect the reef as best they can during construction.
Old May 21, 2008, 5:01 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
For Flyingfox...

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Who came up with the "junkie" term in "Amanjunkie"? A junkie is an old American term for a drug addict, correct?
Why pair this luxury property with a term that is associated with something so negative? I really don't get it. It's the same as saying something is "to die for", why bring up negative terms if it's supposed to be a good thing?
Using only positive words is really, really square. Only very simple people tend to do so.
It's much more confident, interesting and intelligent, to mix opposing aspects.

"Amanjunkie" means someone, who needs his yearly dose of Amanresort-stays like a heroin-junkie needs his daily dose of heroin. That has some truth - and, most important, self irony (which is the best sign of somebody being clear with himself):

So I am very proud and happy to call myself and fellow Aman-Fans (sounds way less cool...) Amanjunkies!
Old May 21, 2008, 8:19 am

Just remember that a few people read the t-shirt as A Man Junkie when they see someone wearing it.

Last edited by zigzag; May 21, 2008 at 8:22 am Reason: leaving out a word
Old May 24, 2008, 4:21 am

Amanjunkies

Gallivanter's Guide first coined the term Amanjunkies back in 1991. Later, they also called the helicopter that flies to Amankila, the Amancopter.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Anyone see any updates regarding Hotel Bora Bora?

2013 perhaps?
Old May 17, 2012, 5:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Anyone see any updates regarding Hotel Bora Bora?

2013 perhaps?
The word I heard (from the former GM) is that Aman wants Bora Bora to re-route the road that goes by the back side of the property. It comes too close to the rooms there, creating noise. As it's only a dirt road, the rerouting is a relatively inexpensive thing to accomplish

So Hotel Bora Bora is basically waiting the government out...
Old May 17, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidO
The word I heard (from the former GM) is that Aman wants Bora Bora to re-route the road that goes by the back side of the property. It comes too close to the rooms there, creating noise. As it's only a dirt road, the rerouting is a relatively inexpensive thing to accomplish

DLF acquired aman at the end of 2007
bora bora announcement about a month after bear stearns
bora bora scheduled closing ended up being 2 weeks after lehman
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17704916-post640.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15847540-post364.html
Old May 17, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

I'd heard the same thing.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

It is not a dirt road. It is paved. Moreover, I have no idea where it would be 'rerouted'.

Hotel Bora Bora in google maps
Old May 18, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
It is not a dirt road. It is paved. Moreover, I have no idea where it would be 'rerouted'.

Hotel Bora Bora in google maps
Whatever the issue, hopefully they get it figured out. I didnt get to experience the place before it closed, and it is on my must stay list. For some reason I am finding it difficult to get excited about the St. Regis Bora Bora or the FS. When we were in Amanusa a year ago the GM (Monty Brewer???) was on his way to Bora Bora. That gave me some hope the project would actually make progress.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.