Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread renamed to the proper name, seems it got the wrong title.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I am a bit confused, as R-C Tokyo rates tend to be in line with other hotels in Tokyo, unless for some reason there is very high occupancy.

Ritz-Carlton Tokyo has exceptional service and excellent F&B. In all honesty Ritz-Carlton is not normally one of my favorite hotel groups (although there are some properties that I like a lot), but at club level this is one hell of a good hotel. The teppanyaki counter within Hinokizaka and the French cuisine at Azure 45 are particularly good.

This hotel is remarkably flexible by Japanese standards. If you feel rates are too high, check to see what an R-C Stars/Virtuoso agent can offer you, or if there are deals through Amex FHR. Alternatively get the The R-C credit card and use one of the complimentary club level upgrades. Also, the local third party website ikyu.com could be worth a try, particularly if you are looking for the lowest rate on a standard room.

Even entry level rooms are spacious and have great views, but club level is really worth it if you will avail yourself of the benefits.
I cancelled an overnight at RC last year because the rates were exorbitantly high compared to any and all other 5-star Tokyo properties over the same nights. I rebooked at the Shangri-La in a top suite with views over the entire city and it was a fraction of the Ritz' rack rate, which priced out almost twice as high compared to our suite at the Peninsula several weeks earlier. It's possible the property was booked up for some business convention but it was unusually high.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine

For all the warts that I experienced with Aman Tokyo, I must say that their pool is stellar in every possible way. Beautifully designed. Functional and a great place to lounge around at. Depending on the time, you might actually have it to yourselves as well.

I've never stayed at Capitol or Pen Tokyo so can't offer any insights there...
We really liked the Peninsula pool, it has great views and was very calm. We were often the only ones in the pool area in the later afternoons. That being said, the water is probably too warm if you really want to get some laps in.
I stayed at the Peninsula years ago, and I would argue their pool is better for laps. Also, if I remember correctly, there is some outside seating by their pool
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: N/A
Can anyone comment on the following hotels and the respective rates - We would welcome any comments on good value, but considering we are only staying 2 days would be willing to spend a bit more for a much better experience.

(Per Night Cost)
Grand Hyatt - $260
Intercontinental - $175
Imperial - $175
Peninsula - $275
Hilton - $170

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
Can anyone comment on the following hotels and the respective rates - We would welcome any comments on good value, but considering we are only staying 2 days would be willing to spend a bit more for a much better experience.

(Per Night Cost)
Grand Hyatt - $260
Intercontinental - $175
Imperial - $175
Peninsula - $275
Hilton - $170

Thanks!
Peninsula is by far the best value among those options, trust me. Even a standard room at the Pen is very nice.

Any other options you have not listed?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:11 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not stayed at any of those hotels (I am a PH stalwart, currently here in an entry-level suite), but I'd still unreservedly agree with Mike. Also the Pen has relatively few entry level rooms relative to its size so the odds of a one-level upgrade are better than at most other places.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Pen at $275 sounds really good to me.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Also the Pen has relatively few entry level rooms relative to its size so the odds of a one-level upgrade are better than at most other places.
Useful intel
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Peninsula is by far the best value among those options, trust me. Even a standard room at the Pen is very nice.

Any other options you have not listed?
Agreed. That's a phenomenal price for the Pen compared to the others on that list.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:50 am

Agreed. That's a phenomenal price for the Pen compared to the others on that list.
I think that anywhere in the world the answer would be the same. If you can stay at The Peninsula for $105/night more than a Hilton, or $15/night more than a Grand Hyatt, that choice is about as much of a no-brainer as it gets...
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that anywhere in the world the answer would be the same. If you can stay at The Peninsula for $105/night more than a Hilton, or $15/night more than a Grand Hyatt, that choice is about as much of a no-brainer as it gets...
Agreed. I'm not Pen Tokyo's best fan but even I would stay there for that.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:25 am

Agreed. I'm not Pen Tokyo's best fan but even I would stay there for that.
I would definitely stay at that price, and just eat out (including at Andaz and The Palace) instead of at the Pen.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would definitely stay at that price, and just eat out (including at Andaz and The Palace) instead of at the Pen.
Or even around Yurakucho and Gina has decent stuff.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:10 am

Or even around Yurakucho and Ginza has decent stuff.
Also Shimbashi and Nihombashi have many excellent restaurants.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Also Shimbashi and Nihombashi have many excellent restaurants.
In Tokyo, you could get into a cab (or Uber, or whatever you cool kids are into), tell him to randomly drive around town, put on a blindfold, randomly tell him to stop, get out, and the first place you stumble into will likely be an excellent restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.