Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Even though I will be at the MO later this month, can't say I am a fan of its location. With the new phases of Coredo, maybe the shopping is better now but I still much prefer the location of either the Pen or RC. The big benefit of the Pen for me is getting to all the restaurants in Ginza. Even if it is raining, you can walk through the tunnels and pretty much get out in the middle of Ginza without an umbrella.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Saying MO Tokyo has a bad location for me is akin to saying that FS New York is poorly located because it is not adjacent to Grand Central station. It has a superb location in terms of proximity to restaurants, and arguably THE BEST location in Tokyo for shopping. I suspect most Japanese would laugh if the heard someone say Nihonbashi was a bad location, as it is one of the most prestigious addresses in Tokyo.

Thanks to the depreciation of the yen, shopping in Tokyo is becoming increasingly attractive.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't know any Japanese who shop in Nihombashi (except maybe a few octogenarians who can remember going there as a child with their grandmothers.) Honestly, the only times I've gone to Nihombashi was on my first trip to Japan a million years ago when somebody took me to Mitsukoshi as a tourist attraction and later when I used to do a lot of business with the BoJ. It's at the very outer fringe of the known universe.

I also don't get this train talk. Honestly who stays at luxury hotels and takes trains except as a curiosity.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
I also don't get this train talk. Honestly who stays at luxury hotels and takes trains except as a curiosity.
I, for one.

It's not that I'm opposed to taking cars/taxis/etc. But I cannot fathom being in NYC, SF, Paris, London, BKK, Tokyo, etc and NOT taking the public transportation options.

Also, I like to experience cities as locals do, and then have the respite and coddling of a luxury property. One of the ways to do this is via public transit.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I, for one.

It's not that I'm opposed to taking cars/taxis/etc. But I cannot fathom being in NYC, SF, Paris, London, BKK, Tokyo, etc and NOT taking the public transportation options.

Also, I like to experience cities as locals do, and then have the respite and coddling of a luxury property. One of the ways to do this is via public transit.
Agreed. I don't see taking public transportation as being incongruous with staying at a luxury hotel at all, especially in places like Tokyo/London/NYC where one can often get from A to B faster using public transport than in a car.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:51 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know any Japanese who shop in Nihombashi (except maybe a few octogenarians who can remember going there as a child with their grandmothers.) Honestly, the only times I've gone to Nihombashi was on my first trip to Japan a million years ago when somebody took me to Mitsukoshi as a tourist attraction and later when I used to do a lot of business with the BoJ. It's at the very outer fringe of the known universe.

I regularly take public transportation when staying at any type of hotel. In Tokyo it is often the best way to get around.

There is also Takashimaya, as well as the excellent Hankyu Men's store among other options.

Of course location is subjective in Tokyo, but I think MO's is superb.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
. Honestly who stays at luxury hotels and takes trains except as a curiosity.
Hmmm. I do also. It can be a three hour 'limo' ride from NRT to FSM.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alas, I feel I must point out that the public vs private transport discussion is taking us off topic which is "Tokyo Luxury Hotels."

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

P.S. Yet even I cannot resist saying I use public transport almost exclusively in London, NYC, and Tokyo.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:09 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
The best shopping in Tokyo is by far Omotesando. I hated Ginza. Might depend on your demographic though.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:55 am

Omontesando, for example, is a direct subway ride from MO on the Ginza line, and you do not even have to exit the building to get to Nihonbashi station.

For those who like to shop at Isetan in Shinjuku, transfer from the Ginza line to the Marunouchi line at Akasaka-Mitsuke station, and then get off at Shinjuku-Sanchome station. You can get from the MO to Isetan, arguably Tokyo's premier department store, without setting foot outdoors if it is raining.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 12, 2015 at 5:15 am
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Omontesando, for example, is a direct subway ride from MO on the Ginza line, and you do not even have to exit the building to get to Nihonbashi station.

For those who like to shop at Isetan in Shinjuku, transfer from the Ginza line to the Marunouchi line at Akasaka-Mitsuke station, and then get off at Shinjuku-Sanchome station. You can get from the MO to Isetan, arguably Tokyo's premier department store, without setting foot outdoors if it is raining.
Please keep the suggestions coming since I will be at the MO soon. Maybe I can learn to like the location as well!

PS I also take the subway almost exclusively in Tokyo unless it is a place not close to subway or requires several transfer
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Please keep the suggestions coming since I will be at the MO soon. Maybe I can learn to like the location as well!

PS I also take the subway almost exclusively in Tokyo unless it is a place not close to subway or requires several transfer
You will find you can get almost anywhere very easily using Nihonbashi station, or the nearby Tokyo and Kanda stations, which are a quick cab ride or a walk away from the hotel.

There are excellent restaurants even within the building, and many superb restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel.

MO's location in Nihonbashi, which is a bit removed from the clusters of skyscrapers in Marunouchi, means that the hotel enjoys unobstructed views of Tokyo bay and the entire city skyline.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:09 pm

Case in point, Noma from Copenhagen is now operating at MO temporarily till Feb 14, so for foodie, it's a plus to stay at MO.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silverlim
Case in point, Noma from Copenhagen is now operating at MO temporarily till Feb 14, so for foodie, it's a plus to stay at MO.
That is why I am staying there! Not just a plus but a "must" since dinner are sold as a package with hotel
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:12 pm
formerly gohima

Recently completed 3 nights at MO Tokyo. Service was outstanding and put everywhere else we stayed at on the trip to shame( RC Kyoto, MO SF, and The Upper house). From the second we arrived to when we left, everything was taken care of without a hiccup.

Also, Rene Redzepi and his family were in the dining room for breakfast every day we were there. ^
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
You will find you can get almost anywhere very easily using Nihonbashi station, or the nearby Tokyo and Kanda stations, which are a quick cab ride or a walk away from the hotel.

There are excellent restaurants even within the building, and many superb restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel.

MO's location in Nihonbashi, which is a bit removed from the clusters of skyscrapers in Marunouchi, means that the hotel enjoys unobstructed views of Tokyo bay and the entire city skyline.
I will only say this... as someone who knows the roads of central Tokyo better than 95% of taxi drivers and the subways better than 95% of commuters.....in central Tokyo a car will get you to your destination faster than public transport 95% of the time with much less chance of getting wet, sweaty, or chilled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.