Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I an not happy with The Peninsula Tokyo lately. I dealt with one concierge a few months ago who was not only unhelpful, but rude as well. The rooms and suites are of course nice, but on the other hand F&B has gone downhill.

Personaly, I would cancel any bookings at Pen in favor of staying at Aman Tokyo.
I reluctantly am coming to the same conclusion, though I think the hard product is still superb. I think I am getting a bit frustrated at every time seeming like a first time stay even though I have stayed there at least 20 times. I have started to explore other options in the area like the Palace and perhaps Aman.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Aman is now celebrating her official opening
So things should even be better when you stay
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I found it interesting that others on this forum, including repeat visitors were having similar issues. I had only stayed twice back in 2008, so at first I didn't think much of it. And then I thought that the hotel may be particularly busy because I believe it is now the busy time with the cherry blossoms. But if multiple people on this board have had poor experiences, that is a shame.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I just booked the Pen with breakfast included. Is the breakfast still good or has it gone downhill as well? Japanese people are typically polite. How is the soft product once on property? I'm going to email the concierge and see what happens. I do love Aman but my Aunt in Tokyo thinks the location of the Pen and Imperial are the best.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I an not happy with The Peninsula Tokyo lately. I dealt with one concierge a few months ago who was not only unhelpful, but rude as well. The rooms and suites are of course nice, but on the other hand F&B has gone downhill.

Personaly, I would cancel any bookings at Pen in favor of staying at Aman Tokyo.
Aman's chief concierge is one for the good. Mr. Ryu gets things done! The rest of the staff seems competent enough as well.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I just booked the Pen with breakfast included. Is the breakfast still good or has it gone downhill as well? Japanese people are typically polite. How is the soft product once on property? I'm going to email the concierge and see what happens. I do love Aman but my Aunt in Tokyo thinks the location of the Pen and Imperial are the best.
Aman's Japanese breakfast is in the top 3 in the city, bar none. I think it depends where you need to be but Aman's location isn't too bad either. Right near a subway station and Tokyo station.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Aman's chief concierge is one for the good. Mr. Ryu gets things done!
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kullen-o...?trk=pub-pbmap
Kullen [ryu] Ozaki Chief Concierge since apr 2014
peninsula concierge supervisor aug 2007 - mar 2014
since 2012 he [is] >
http://www.lesclefsdorjapan.com/en/2...kyo-20129.html
http://www.lesclefsdorjapan.com/en/members/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post23793006

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2015 at 12:07 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:23 pm

He was superb at the Pen.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Currently staying in the Pen. Breakfast is OK and if it's included as a benefit, fine but not something you should pay extra for esp with the huge number of restaurants around the hotel. F&B in this hotel is not as good as in the past I think and the morning breakfast at the lobby is a bit of a circus unless you wake up very early. Noted the many complaints about the Concierge but I think they did quite well for my stay. Managed to find a very rare and hard to get Yamazaki whisky for me.

Also I just toured the Aman Tokyo. The location is a problem and you need to take the subway to go anywhere of interest. Hard product of the Aman is excellent.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:39 am

My current top choices in Tokyo are:

Aman
Ritz-Carlton club level
Andaz - believe it or not - (Only largest room category or suite level)

Of course FSM, MO, and S-L are very good as they always have been.

Park Hyatt needs at least a light renovation, improved F&B, and better training of junior employees. It is fundamentally an exceptional hotel, and could return to greatness with these relatively simple improvements IMHO.

I am not happy with Grand Hyatt lately, R-C club level is a far better option close by.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:29 am

My current top choices in Tokyo are:

Aman
Ritz-Carlton club level
Andaz - believe it or not - (Only largest room category or suite level)

Of course FSM, MO, and S-L are very good as they always have been.

Park Hyatt needs at least a light renovation, improved F&B, and better training of junior employees. It is fundamentally an exceptional hotel, and could return to greatness with these relatively simple improvements IMHO.

I am not happy with Grand Hyatt lately, R-C club level is a far better option close by.
I'm not sure I would write off the Pen, and I don't think I would put the Ritz or Andaz on my list. I would still say I like the Peninsula, but I think that there are good reasons to try places like Aman or the Palace, depending on what you are looking for or where you need to be. I am skeptical that the PHT will ever regain its millennial heights. At the time it opened, the Tokyo high end landscape was very different from what it is now.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by grumbler
I'm not sure I would write off the Pen, and I don't think I would put the Ritz or Andaz on my list. I would still say I like the Peninsula, but I think that there are good reasons to try places like Aman or the Palace, depending on what you are looking for or where you need to be. I am skeptical that the PHT will ever regain its millennial heights. At the time it opened, the Tokyo high end landscape was very different from what it is now.
What makes Andaz one of my top choices is that I have a very good rapport with the GM, and all of the F&B management, which changes everything. i.e. I am treated exceptionally well at Andaz, so for me it is better than The Peninsula; however, for guests who are not known to management I have no doubt that the baseline service is better at the Pen.

About the Ritz-Carlton - I freely admiy that I do not like its decor, but the lovely club manager and her staff make all the difference in the world. F&B in the French restaurant and teppanyaki grill are among the best of any high-end hotel in Tokyo. The views of the city are probably the best of any hotel... the spa now has Sodashi treatments, and Ritz-Carlton's management is excellent at instilling flexibility in service - which is not easy to do in Japan.

Re The Peninsula, an excellent room/suite product is not sufficient for me to forgive it for its subpar F&B and the lack of proper furos in the men's and women's spa areas, which is something easential in Japan. I don't see how they overlooked that when designing the hotel. Equally, overpriced ESPA treatments aren't really appealing...

You're probably right about the Park Hyatt, but I still fondly remember it for what it once was...

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 21, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remain a regular guest at the PH which continues to treat me very well. MikeFromTokyo is spot on. This includes his comment about postponing renovation. There's nothing tawdry about any part of the hotel as everything is maintained very well. But despite the best maintenance, things do eventually show wear.

I too would like to see better training of incoming new employees. I know enough that when one of them says something silly, I don't let them get away with it. But I doubt that a first-time guest would know. The issue is mainly with bell/door and restaurant wait staff; housekeeping and concierge service remains impeccable.

The hotel has fixed at least one problem as there is no more nonsense about "making a reservation" for the hotel-station shuttle. This time, they found a hotel car when the shuttle was full.

More generally, high end Tokyo hotels are currently an incredible bargain. The one exception is the Aman, which can get away with high prices as long as it is regarded as new (Japanese seem to have a fetish for what is new). That may pose a challenge for them once that is no longer true.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Have to agree that the F&B at the Pen has gone down a lot. Breakfast is now only 3 set menus and of average quality. Service is poor also ( by Japanese high standards )I really miss the generous spread at the Shangri-la Tokyo. Service in the morning is also shabby and mechanical. Also can't stand the nickel and dime gong on in this property. Think I will go back to the Shangri-la next time.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended

I'll add to this convo: the Andaz is killing it. User reviews remain exceptionally high, the interior looks like an Aman, and the staff is better than the PH. I'd love to check it out if I were in Tokyo longer than 1 night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.