Search

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Diving at/around the properties?

We are avid divers, and therefore are curious about the dive options and quality at these properties.

We're considering the Maldives in 2017, but are leaning towards the FS properties since we can do a 7 night live-aboard dive trip on their Explorer catamaran. As pricey as that will be, it still seems less pricey than either of these properties. So I'm curious as to the quality of diving there.

We can't just laze around the beach or pool like so many others. I need action and activity--preferably in or under the water!

Thanks for any input.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We are avid divers, and therefore are curious about the dive options and quality at these properties.

We're considering the Maldives in 2017, but are leaning towards the FS properties since we can do a 7 night live-aboard dive trip on their Explorer catamaran. As pricey as that will be, it still seems less pricey than either of these properties. So I'm curious as to the quality of diving there.

We can't just laze around the beach or pool like so many others. I need action and activity--preferably in or under the water!

Thanks for any input.
We did the 3-night-trip on the Explorer and it was amazing. And really exhausting (3 dives a day plus an extra one when night diving plus activities/excursions is not a walk in the park ). We want to go back do the 4-night one some day.

The large German travel agencies (e.g. Dertour) sell the Explorer from Aug to Oct as 2for1 if you also book 3 nights in one of the FS hotels (so you pay around 5000 Euro total instead of per person for the 7 nights). Might be something of interest to you if you don't mind it being off season. We had amazing weather in September.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hi Michael82,

Did you see any turltle during snorkeling in Velaa?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by kakapinky
Hi Michael82,

Did you see any turltle during snorkeling in Velaa?
They have baby turtles in tanks and they have huge photos of turtles seemingly on every wall, faucet, etc.

I guess they have turtles in the water, too, as Velaa means 'turtle'.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:32 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Maldives, February

Hi everybody,

I am not able to search, but I remember there was some recommendations for hotels in the Maldives not too long ago. We have been to the two FS resorts some years ago and though we liked them, I would love to try something else. We do not want to go to O&O. Would like: Nice, spacious villa (2 adults, 12 year old son). Privacy. Prefer beach villa instead of over-water-villa. Private pool is nice, but not a must. Great beach, preferably with off beach snorkeling, but again no must as we are happy to go out with a boat if there is a good reef nearby. Except for snorkeling, we would just like to relax, eat good food (great if there are more than just one restaurant for the variation), maybe a spa visit or two and that's it. What would you recommend?

Looked at Cheval Blanc Randheli, but with rates over USD 3.500 per night, that's out. Absolute maximum is USD 2.000 per night, but would prefer below USD 1.500 per night.

Huaven Fushi, is supposedly dated.

I do not like the style of the Taj Exotica.

Maalifushi by COMO and also Velaa Private island seems to be fully booked (!!!) for our dates already. Same goes for Cocoa Island by COMO

Last edited by Musken; Jun 17, 2015 at 8:43 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:55 am

Cheval Blanc, if you're price-insensitive. I hear good things.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I liked the Taj Exotica. Not inexpensive but very peaceful.

http://www.tajhotels.com/luxury/exot.../overview.html
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:03 am

I think Soneva Fushi would fit the bill perfectly. It fits all of your requirements, and there are villas perfectly sized for a family of three that have pools.

Originally Posted by scented
The OP has stated a budget and specifically excluded Cheval Blanc.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:03 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Looks gorgeous! Thought I was pretty price-insensitive, but not to THAT extent. :-o
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by zebranz
I liked the Taj Exotica. Not inexpensive but very peaceful.

http://www.tajhotels.com/luxury/exot.../overview.html
For most people Taj is only a starting point of their Maldives trip. I do like it, but would I spend my entire stay there? No, due to the proximity to MLE.

Musken, so sorry-- completely missed your statement re Cheval Blanc.
Mike, you're right.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:09 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I do remember someone posted a review with pics. A new resort, I think. I know I liked the look of if. But the name is gone..
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Musken
I do remember someone posted a review with pics. A new resort, I think. I know I liked the look of if. But the name is gone..
I vaguely remember photographs of a Jumeirah property, as well as Cocoa Island (COMO).

The_Daddy has posted useful reviews of Soneva Fushi, One and Only Reethi Rah, and Four Seasons Kuda Huraa, IIRC.

Although you said you are not interested in OO RR, they have beach villas with pools. Same designer as Cheval Blanc (Gathy).

Although perhaps not at the same level, Anantara Kihavah in the Baa Atoll is supposedly very family friendly and has good food from what I have heard. There are beach villas with pools available.

Taj Exotica of course has very nice beach villas with pools, but you have said it does not appeal.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 17, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:08 am
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
PH Malidives! We went there last August and had 2 units. One was for myself, my wife, and 12 yr old. Excellent! Going back next January, but this time just with my wife :-)
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by zh
PH Malidives! We went there last August and had 2 units. One was for myself, my wife, and 12 yr old. Excellent! Going back next January, but this time just with my wife :-)
I love PH Maldives for the house reef, but since Musken did FS already, this might be a hard landing.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

TheDaddy (if that is the correct spelling of his user name) has posted useful reviews of Soneva Fushi, One and Only Reethi Rah, and Four Seasons Kuda Huraa, IIRC.

Although you said you are not interested in OO RR, they have beach villas with pools. Same designer as Cheval Blanc (Gathy).
Soneva Fushi can certainly be an option if the OP enjoy the eco-lux positioning of the soneva group.
Villa are nice (and they have some interesting option for privacy with grown up kids), they come with private pool and the snorkeling is certainly good.
Food can be very confusing: they have the greatest breakfast ever tried, great buffet (and i use to dislike them), but some hit & miss a la carte experience in all the three restaurants.
All in all is a really nice experience, you really relax there, it is different from all other resorts I have been to...but someone might not feel comfortable.

the last time we were there they had some issue with some kind of insect that was realising some allergic poison in the air (especially close to the indian almond three) that caused strong skin reaction: my wife got it and it was not nice! FSLG was having the some issue maybe with minor impact...you want to check that out in case...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.