Reload this Page >

Help with Venice please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Venice please!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Ca' Sagredo

Can this hotel (Ca' Sagredo) be considered a contender among the luxury option in town? has anyone stayed there?

I just noted they have a quite relevant list of awards from different sources and they are rated five star luxury.

I have added it here because the OP mention something small.

thanks
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Can this hotel (Ca' Sagredo) be considered a contender among the luxury option in town? has anyone stayed there?

I just noted they have a quite relevant list of awards from different sources and they are rated five star luxury.

thanks
I have no experience with the hotel, but it's located pretty far up the canal.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I would not characterize the hotel as being far up the canal. It is in the Canarragio Area, close to the Rialto and Ca D'Oro. I think it's a wonderful location. Hoteliers in VCE, with whom I spoke last week spoke of this hotel and its management with great admiration. Surely worthy of consideration.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

I guess it's all relative. I tend to stay southeast of the Rialto, so it's pretty far to me. But certainly could be suitable for others. Glad to hear favorable reviews.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Ca'Sagredo

Originally Posted by The_Daddy

thanks
You should definitely consider Ca'Sagredo as luxury. It is one of my favorite luxury boutique hotels in Venice (42 rooms and suites). I prefer the location as it is in a quieter area than near St. Mark's. Ca'Doro dock is steps away. It's about a 25-minute walk to St. Mark's, 10 minutes to the Rialto Bridge. Excellent restaurants nearby. The 15th century palazzo has been exquisitely restored and the artwork throughout is like staying in a Venetian museum.

Prestige and Premier rooms are quite large and have views of the Grand Canal, Campo Santa Sofia, Ca'D'Oro or the Rialto Market. The Grand Premier Suite has a fabulous view of the Grand Canal as you look out through a wall of ancient windows. My favorite suite is the Grand Canal Suite, the former library of the Sagredo family. The architectural detail is exquisite.

Service is warm, attentive and 5-star. Virtuoso amenities include an upgrade at time of booking (if available), full breakfast daily, cocktails and canapes for 2 once during your stay, a welcome gift and early check-in/check-out (if available).

Incredible staff and management!

Photos:
http://iceportal.com/brochures/ice/B...933&mtype=5085
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
You should definitely consider Ca'Sagredo as luxury. It is one of my favorite luxury boutique hotels in Venice (42 rooms and suites). I prefer the location as it is in a quieter area than near St. Mark's. Ca'Doro dock is steps away. It's about a 25-minute walk to St. Mark's, 10 minutes to the Rialto Bridge. Excellent restaurants nearby. The 15th century palazzo has been exquisitely restored and the artwork throughout is like staying in a Venetian museum.

Prestige and Premier rooms are quite large and have views of the Grand Canal, Campo Santa Sofia, Ca'D'Oro or the Rialto Market. The Grand Premier Suite has a fabulous view of the Grand Canal as you look out through a wall of ancient windows. My favorite suite is the Grand Canal Suite, the former library of the Sagredo family. The architectural detail is exquisite.

Service is warm, attentive and 5-star. Virtuoso amenities include an upgrade at time of booking (if available), full breakfast daily, cocktails and canapes for 2 once during your stay, a welcome gift and early check-in/check-out (if available).

Incredible staff and management!

Photos:
http://iceportal.com/brochures/ice/B...933&mtype=5085
Can anyone compare this to the Gritti?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:25 pm

We stayed at the Ca'Sagredo just a month ago - had an excellent stay - I can thoroughly recommend it and found the location very convenient - there is a traghetto pier just out of the side entrance of the hotel which takes you across to the Rialto Market. Some of the suites have paintings by Venetian painters - such as a Sebastiano Ricci and a Giambattista Tiepolo and a Nicol Bambini in the breakfast rooms, and other important artists such as Andrea Urbani, Diziani, Pietro Longhi in the Noble Floor.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
When the San Clemente Palace opens as a St. Regis. This would be our top choice. It's been a few years since we visited but the hardware and design of the rooms was excellent, the quality if the amenities, including the pool and spa were top notch.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:02 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
When the San Clemente Palace opens as a St. Regis. This would be our top choice.
It opened this summer.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
When the San Clemente Palace opens as a St. Regis. This would be our top choice. It's been a few years since we visited but the hardware and design of the rooms was excellent, the quality if the amenities, including the pool and spa were top notch.
Don't forget that St Regis is part of Starwood, who manage The Danieli and The Gritti (Luxury Collection). Why do we think they would do any better with San Clemente?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
if you can find it somewhere Richard E grant did a brilliant program on the best hotels in Venice for sky, his Hotel Secrets series, it really helped me choose!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE:

I've decided to redeem SPG points for at least part of this stay (I'd be crazy not to at these prices!) so I'm now deciding between the Giglio Prestige Room and the lower tier Venetian Room at the Gritti. I'm a bit confused by what I see online: http://www.thegrittipalace.com/en/rooms

The Giglio Prestige Rooms are both priced higher, and one category above the Venetian Rooms, however the Giglio Prestige Rooms require less points for redemption than the Venetians, oddly enough. Perhaps there are fewer Venetian Rooms available for booking? I suppose I shouldn't complain eitherway.

My next point of confusion comes from the rooms themselves. To my eyes, the Venetian Rooms seem to be much more opulent and ornate in decor and furnishing. They seem to reflect the romance of classical antiquity and Venetian grandeur moreso than the Giglio Prestige Rooms; at least from the photos displayed on the Gritti website. The description indicates that the rooms "exude a historic richness and individual personalities that transport occupants back in time" and they do seem to capture the feel of 18th C. aristocracy and seem well suited to a historic palazzo. The Giglio Prestige Rooms on the other hand, while still lovely, appear to be more generic looking and somewhat understated (not quite as lavish) in comparisson. They boast views of the Piazza San Marco however. What I'd like to know is... are the Giglio Prestige Room sold at a higher room category and price based solely on the views and size? Has anyone stayed in a Venetian Room and did it feel tiny/cramped? Given the choice and at equal (possibly less) points redemption, would you opt for the G.Prestige Room?

Lastly, since we are looking to spend a full 10 nights in Venice, our SPG points may not cover the full stay in which case, I have another decision to make. I may pay for a Grand Canal Room at the Gritti through my corporate acct. (not much of a discount but still better than nothing!) or Virtuoso TA for the remaining few nights... OR... I may switch to the Ca' Segrado and reserve the Library Suite for the remaining few nights. The difference in cost is relative.

My one concern about the Gritti is it's location. Since we'll be in Venice late October, I assume the San Marco won't be a complete tourist zoo and that our hotel will be relatively quiet, however I wonder if the experience of staying further away at the Ca'Sagredo might offer a more "authentic" (ie. less touristy) perspective of the city, which I think might be more enjoyable to us. It's difficult to decide...

We're definitely staying at the Gritti for as much as we can redeem on points; very likely most of our trip. What to do for the last couple of nights though... Remain at the Gritti in a higher room category with canal views or transfer to the Ca'Sagredo?

On a seperate note, we do receive a complimentary night at the Cipriani since we're booked on the Venice-Simplon Orient Express. I don't know the exact details of how this works, but I'm not really interested in this property at all and I may even inquire as to whether I can register the booking in another name and let friends take our place. If we do end up switching between the Gritti and Ca'Sagredo, then there's definitely no way I'll switch between 3 hotels in 10 nights. That doesn't sound fun. If we end up at the Gritti the entire time I may consider it, if it's indeed 100% complimentary as I was told by Belmond... we'll see!

PS - How bad are the mosquitoes in the second half of October? Are they a problem at either of these hotels?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:11 am

Talking

Originally Posted by OliverB
UPDATE:

I've decided to redeem SPG points for at least part of this stay (I'd be crazy not to at these prices!) so I'm now deciding between the Giglio Prestige Room and the lower tier Venetian Room at the Gritti. I'm a bit confused by what I see online: http://www.thegrittipalace.com/en/rooms

The Giglio Prestige Rooms are both priced higher, and one category above the Venetian Rooms, however the Giglio Prestige Rooms require less points for redemption than the Venetians, oddly enough. Perhaps there are fewer Venetian Rooms available for booking? I suppose I shouldn't complain eitherway.

My next point of confusion comes from the rooms themselves. To my eyes, the Venetian Rooms seem to be much more opulent and ornate in decor and furnishing. They seem to reflect the romance of classical antiquity and Venetian grandeur moreso than the Giglio Prestige Rooms; at least from the photos displayed on the Gritti website. The description indicates that the rooms "exude a historic richness and individual personalities that transport occupants back in time" and they do seem to capture the feel of 18th C. aristocracy and seem well suited to a historic palazzo. The Giglio Prestige Rooms on the other hand, while still lovely, appear to be more generic looking and somewhat understated (not quite as lavish) in comparisson. They boast views of the Piazza San Marco however. What I'd like to know is... are the Giglio Prestige Room sold at a higher room category and price based solely on the views and size? Has anyone stayed in a Venetian Room and did it feel tiny/cramped? Given the choice and at equal (possibly less) points redemption, would you opt for the G.Prestige Room?

Lastly, since we are looking to spend a full 10 nights in Venice, our SPG points may not cover the full stay in which case, I have another decision to make. I may pay for a Grand Canal Room at the Gritti through my corporate acct. (not much of a discount but still better than nothing!) or Virtuoso TA for the remaining few nights... OR... I may switch to the Ca' Segrado and reserve the Library Suite for the remaining few nights. The difference in cost is relative.

My one concern about the Gritti is it's location. Since we'll be in Venice late October, I assume the San Marco won't be a complete tourist zoo and that our hotel will be relatively quiet, however I wonder if the experience of staying further away at the Ca'Sagredo might offer a more "authentic" (ie. less touristy) perspective of the city, which I think might be more enjoyable to us. It's difficult to decide...

We're definitely staying at the Gritti for as much as we can redeem on points; very likely most of our trip. What to do for the last couple of nights though... Remain at the Gritti in a higher room category with canal views or transfer to the Ca'Sagredo?

On a seperate note, we do receive a complimentary night at the Cipriani since we're booked on the Venice-Simplon Orient Express. I don't know the exact details of how this works, but I'm not really interested in this property at all and I may even inquire as to whether I can register the booking in another name and let friends take our place. If we do end up switching between the Gritti and Ca'Sagredo, then there's definitely no way I'll switch between 3 hotels in 10 nights. That doesn't sound fun. If we end up at the Gritti the entire time I may consider it, if it's indeed 100% complimentary as I was told by Belmond... we'll see!

PS - How bad are the mosquitoes in the second half of October? Are they a problem at either of these hotels?
I have never found much of a problem with mozzies in venice, admitedly we usually go in May but i have never been bitten there... and i am catnip to the buggers

Also thanks for the heads up on Ca'Sagredo - i will try it next time.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:13 am

PS any thoughts on the best hotels in venice with a pool- my boy loves a pool..
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:22 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Don't forget that St Regis is part of Starwood, who manage The Danieli and The Gritti (Luxury Collection). Why do we think they would do any better with San Clemente?
Luxury Collection properties are under their own management, FYI--they just have incorporated the brand standard for SPG reservations, SPG status, SPG redemptions/earnings, and the like. The Gritti and Danieli are managed by their own teams, however, and not by traditional Starwood. The St. Regis, on the other hand, is managed by the St. Regis team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.