Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Great blog^

I really enjoy your posts on FT and your reviews in your blog. In addition to great content and photography, you have a very witty and engaging writing style.
Thanks, Mike!

Originally Posted by offerendum
The room is really unique and very special. Very interesting to see, thanks^
It takes blackouts to a new extreme - I left at 7am for work, whereas my girlfriend woke up at 9:30, still blissfully thinking it was early morning. It is a really impressive room from a visual point of view, but I'll stick to one of their Mayfair Suites in future, as they're just more practical, i.e. they have a door between the bathroom and living room, which is always handy.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Celeste at the Lanesborough gets a Michelin *

I see Celeste at the Lanesborough has been awarded a Michelin star. Anyone eaten there recently? (There was a very unenthusiastic report here shortly after it opened.)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:39 pm

Over the next few weeks I will once again be suffering through some London hotels due to a series of meetings. Anyone got any preferences on a luxury London hotel they'd like some more information on?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Over the next few weeks I will once again be suffering through some London hotels due to a series of meetings. Anyone got any preferences on a luxury London hotel they'd like some more information on?
Which ones will you visit?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Which ones will you visit?
Yeah, sorry, I was not clear at all, as that's what I'm asking. Currently will stay in The Connaught, as per usual, but happy to try out somewhere else if anyone wants me to do a write-up on it. And it looks decent, of course.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:32 pm

Yeah, sorry, I was not clear at all, as that's what I'm asking. Currently will stay in The Connaught, as per usual, but happy to try out somewhere else if anyone wants me to do a write-up on it. And it looks decent, of course.
Great approach

I will be at the Rosewood in 3 weeks and promise to write a report. You can take that one of your list for now
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I see Celeste at the Lanesborough has been awarded a Michelin star. Anyone eaten there recently? (There was a very unenthusiastic report here shortly after it opened.)
I did when it just opened last year but I finds it mediocre. Perhaps they have improved since. However, I will not put too much faith in "Michelin Stars". It's just another yardstick for measurement of how good a restaurant is.

In London, I have dined at restaurants with 2 or 3-Michelin Stars and it's just underwhelming, very little to show for the $$$ paid. The Alain-Ducasse at the Dorchester comes to mind. How that establishment can gets 3-Michelin stars is beyond me.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I did when it just opened last year but I finds it mediocre. Perhaps they have improved since. However, I will not put too much faith in "Michelin Stars". It's just another yardstick for measurement of how good a restaurant is.

In London, I have dined at restaurants with 2 or 3-Michelin Stars and it's just underwhelming, very little to show for the $$$ paid. The Alain-Ducasse at the Dorchester comes to mind. How that establishment can gets 3-Michelin stars is beyond me.
Michelin is usually right well is with me. But have not been but saw a photo. It looks really amazing. And I work in the industry and can tell you. To plate it that way and to do all that actually really difficult. Its pretty easy to see how it got 3 Michelin stars.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by KateHarrison
Michelin is usually right well is with me. But have not been but saw a photo. It looks really amazing. And I work in the industry and can tell you. To plate it that way and to do all that actually really difficult. Its pretty easy to see how it got 3 Michelin stars.
Hmm... shouldn't the actual taste of the food itself takes priority over the looks of the dish? I will take the former anytime.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Hmm... shouldn't the actual taste of the food itself takes priority over the looks of the dish? I will take the former anytime.
Of course. Just letting you know that is very hard. Some people just do not like 3 michelin stars. And I have been to french laundry which has both flavor and technique.

I do tend to find that British ventures all of all star categories and non starred ones. Tend to be absent of flavor. The only one I loved was fat duck and that was no where near aperge in Paris.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by KateHarrison
Of course. Just letting you know that is very hard. Some people just do not like 3 michelin stars. And I have been to french laundry which has both flavor and technique.

I do tend to find that British ventures all of all star categories and non starred ones. Tend to be absent of flavor. The only one I loved was fat duck and that was no where near aperge in Paris.
Still not quite sure what you mean. Nicely decorated dish certainly plays a part to enhance the fine dining experience, but for me the most important is the taste. If a dish looks photogenic but the taste is mediocre, then it's just pretentious.

Of course, taste can be personal and people have different likes and dislikes and is not related to "some people just do not like 3 michelin stars". For example, some of my favorite restaurants in Hong Kong and Tokyo are 3 michelin stars.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:48 pm

The Alain-Ducasse at the Dorchester comes to mind. How that establishment can gets 3-Michelin stars is beyond me.
I went to Celeste earlier this year for dinner and really enjoyed it. Will also be there on Saturday for lunch, so can see if they've kept the standard.

Couldn't agree more with you on Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester - very good service, but the food is immensely underwhelming. As the fool I am, I decided to go twice just to make sure the first time wasn't some aberration. It wasn't. Unless the bible gets a new section added, written personally by god, that recommends Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, I'm not going back.

In London, I have dined at restaurants with 2 or 3-Michelin Stars and it's just underwhelming, very little to show for the $$$ paid.
Lucky for you our currency is in free fall. We stopped using GBP and now trade using old war stories and bread as currency.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:31 am

Lucky for you our currency is in free fall. We stopped using GBP and now trade using old war stories and bread as currency.

LOL~ I am going to London again next month. I will offer bread and old war stories to settle my hotel bills.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
It's good to know...

Jean-Georges Vongerichten to open new restaurant at The Connaught, Mayfair

Internationally renowned French Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten is to open a new restaurant at The Connaught, Mayfair in Spring 2017.

The restaurant, name yet to be confirmed, will be located at the front of the hotel with its sweeping views over Mount Street in the space currently located by Espelette. Hélène Darroze will continue to operate her celebrated two-Michelin star restaurant on the other side of the hotel.

It will be a relaxed, informal style neighbourhood restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. The restaurant will be designed by architect John Heah who has recently completed highly acclaimed work at The Berkeley.
http://www.cpp-luxury.com/jean-georg...aught-mayfair/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uggboy
It's good to know...

Jean-Georges Vongerichten to open new restaurant at The Connaught, Mayfair

http://www.cpp-luxury.com/jean-georg...aught-mayfair/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
To behonest I don´t really like this "by" restaurants, as it has few in common with the renowned chef.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.