Community
Wiki Posts
Search

planning italy incl aman venice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

to those who were on a tangent - ive never been bothered by tangents in my own threads.

robyng last link goes to what 5khours and others were discussing re peak crowds (only during peak) in venice

although, cruise port is a valid point, and not something that is common, even within europe its limited to certain coastal cities, not sure what kind of seasonal range there is for cruises, and venice may be an example of a place that suffers more, considering footprint of city / main island / etc, when cruise ships with thousands of pax come in (not sure what kind of limits venice has for ship size and number of ships, there must be some)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 20, 2013 at 11:51 am
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:04 pm

The crowds are awful and the stench from the Canal during some months can be unbearable. It's a great place, in my opinion, to visit once, but I much prefer places that are not on people's standard European land or cruise vacations.

Last edited by Blackbook; Jun 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm
Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:33 pm
In memoriam

Blackbook - this was your original message (my email collects it all):

I am only returning to Venice to experience the Aman. I can't stand the city normally. The crowds are awful and the stench from the Canal during some months can be unbearable. It's a great place, in my opinion, to visit once, but to not return again.

So did you change your mind about your trip?

FWIW - I can't imagine traveling to any place that I don't care to visit regardless of the hotels there. My house is the best hotel in the world - at least for me - any invited guests too. Robyn
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
Blackbook - this was your original message (my email collects it all):

I am only returning to Venice to experience the Aman. I can't stand the city normally. The crowds are awful and the stench from the Canal during some months can be unbearable. It's a great place, in my opinion, to visit once, but to not return again.

So did you change your mind about your trip?

FWIW - I can't imagine traveling to any place that I don't care to visit regardless of the hotels there. My house is the best hotel in the world - at least for me - any invited guests too. Robyn
I am impressed.. My first post was too blunt.. I do wish though Aman opened a place more secluded in Italy less frequented by the millions.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Musken
I ask for list of activities/excursions with costs. The documents that I receive are called different things in different Amans.

Regarding food off the menu, we normally pay the same kind of prices as the other dishes at the menu have, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. I do not think that we have ever heard the prices of special wishes before getting the food - it has been "a surprise" for when we get the final bill, but we have never been negatively surprised. Also, when ordering off the menu, we have been rather vague, like saying "we would like to eat Mexican or Thai food or a pizza tonight, would it be possible for you to make this?" and then the chef has surprised us with his solution to this request. Or we have asked for a special meal, got a prosposed menu, made some changes or mixed in dishes from the normal menu, and paid more or less the cost of one of the other special meals they offer. I do not feel that it is right to ask for something special and then be picky about the cost of it. If you have a really special request, you can of course ask in advance, but it is mostly better (and nicer) to discuss directly with the chef once you are there (and he/she will normally not be aware of what you will pay in the end anyway). The nicest off the menu meals we have had, have been prepared after chats with the chef where we find out where he/she is from and then ask if it is possible to make something from that country for example. Of course we will specify things we do not eat or like (not much for us, though) and mention that we like very spicy food for example, but the rest is up to the expert. At least that is how I do it. Cooking is a form of art, and if you want something special, you should not specify too much and set too many limitations.
Originally Posted by 5khours
Hoping to make it to Venice this summer for a couple of days. Anyone heard anything on availability? Need to book early?

Thanks Musken

Olivia RICHLI , GM , has written to me and also provided this info which I do not know how to attach here

Aman Venice Factsheet 210313
ACGV Compendium June 2013 - this includes their activities

FYI - Kage , if you or others are going , check on occupancy , etc , then here's another person you can email.
So best email Cassandra Tavares - Reservations <[email protected]> ( Olivia R directly ) if you'd like to receive too.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Blackbook, then again tiny (aman) and or resort hotels (cipriani) are great in such cities.
in this case aman also has historic, location, gardens. hopefully aman excursions as well.

FlyerEC, thanks.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 17, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:59 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Blackbook
I am impressed.. My first post was too blunt.. I do wish though Aman opened a place more secluded in Italy less frequented by the millions.
Don't be impressed. I just download messages very often. Sometimes catch ones that people edit after my download.

So - to ask again - why would you visit a city you don't especially like? Do you expect the Aman Venice to overcome what you don't like about the city? Robyn
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Really? And how often are you in Venezia?I do not agree with your post. What "hustle and bustle"? Where? When? How frequently? Nonsense.
I usually try to go every couple of years. Fall and spring are not bad, but the times I've been there in the summer, everywhere seems crowded all the time. Last time I stayed at the Danieli and it was like Grand Central.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
I usually try to go every couple of years. Fall and spring are not bad, but the times I've been there in the summer, everywhere seems crowded all the time. Last time I stayed at the Danieli and it was like Grand Central.
Danielli I agree. August I would definitely stay away.

Once you get away from P.za S. Marco and Rialto it gets quiet very quickly.

Also- note once the cruise ships depart and the tour buses go home around 19:30 the city becomes very sleepy and beautifully quiet until about 10A the next morning.

Lido in the summer is always fun for a few minutes
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

so this thread is full of expert advice, right? certainly lots of agreement.

well documents from aman venice match much of it, some word for word.

how often does a hotel do that? seems like a major part of aman to me.

http://www.vtp.it/calendario/
shows cruiseships etc
up to 7 and even 8 per day, including giant ships
hard to plan around, but easier to look up one's travel dates

edit - re some of my comments on cruiseships - while there may be some theoretical ideal of spreading arrivals out over every day, i realize that is not realistic nor even possible to coordinate to that degree.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 17, 2017 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

shows cruiseships etc
No expert advice- we just want you to have a great time in Venezia!

FYI- much more than cruise ships be sure to stay away from the "acqua alta" which is a serious problem:
http://www.comune.venezia.it/flex/cm...IDPagina/22795
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:44 am
In memoriam

shows cruiseships etc
Cruise ships can be a killer when it comes to smaller cities/towns/tourist attractions. When we were in Charleston SC last year - a cruise ship was in town our first 2 days - and the narrow streets in the historic areas were wall to wall. The cruise ship left - and the streets were calm and peaceful. I've heard the same thing happens when it comes to places like Key West FL.

I can't even imagine a place like Venice with 7-8 cruise ships in port - especially the large ones that have 3-5k+ passengers! But others have written about it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...to-Venice.html

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174731...g-cruise-ships

Robyn
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robyng
I can't even imagine a place like Venice with 7-8 cruise ships in port - especially the large ones that have 3-5k+ passengers! But others have written about it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...to-Venice.html

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174731...g-cruise-ships

Robyn
I agree with you Robyn- however 99% of the passengers visiting Venezia never venture out of P.za San Marco and Rialto which fortunately means that even on the very busiest days you can find many areas of the city which are very quiet and not at all touristy.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

those going to aman venice and reading the hotel's information will see what i mean.

aman says exactly the same thing as this thread about having a good time in venice.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

those going to aman venice and reading the hotel's information will see what i mean.

aman says exactly the same thing as this thread about having a good time in venice.
Be interested to know if they recommended the same "cheap and cheerful" osteria to you as I did

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.