Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Dorado Beach Site Inspection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Dorado Beach Site Inspection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:51 am

I don't understand all of the complaints about resort fees, as the reason for them is typically to avoid tax and/or commissions.

I simply include the fee in my calculation of the total cost per night, it makes no difference to me if part of the rate is labelled as a resort fee.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:20 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don't understand all of the complaints about resort fees, as the reason for them is typically to avoid tax and/or commissions.

I simply include the fee in my calculation of the total cost per night, it makes no difference to me if part of the rate is labelled as a resort fee.
Taxes (and/or service charges) for this resort are already more than 18% (this is before the $95 nightly fee).
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:30 am

Actually, the reason is almost always to trick customers. Resort fees are rarely disclosed conspicuously, so it's a way to advertise prices that look lower than what you end up paying when you're actually presented with the bill. If the goal was to avoid tax or commissions then the resort fee should be presented right next to the rate with similar prominence to the base rate.

Add me to the list of people who won't stay here on principle until they move the resort fee into the room rate. (A shame, since a nice option in Puerto Rico would make a great, short getaway for us.)
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by xracer
Taxes (and/or service charges) for this resort are already more than 18% (this is before the $95 nightly fee).
You misunderstand. As noted in posts upthread the reason for labeling certain charges as resort fees is to exempt those charges from taxes and/or TA commission. Conceivably total nightly rates could be even higher if a resort simply raised room rates instead of charging resort fees.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:51 am

You misunderstand. As noted in posts upthread the reason for labeling certain charges as resort fees is to exempt those charges from taxes and/or TA commission. Conceivably total nightly rates could be even higher if a resort simply raised room rates instead of charging resort fees.
I understood what you were trying to say. I just don't agree with it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
I understood what you were trying to say. I just don't agree with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resort_fee

Though, no mention of Dorado, the Feds are cracking down on the practice of hiding resort fees from guests:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/hotelc...r-day/1735509/

It also makes me wonder what other fees might be hidden by the resort, like the "spa fee." I went to see if I could find the spa fee on their spa menu or spa frequently asked questions page or on their spa information page and there is no mention of the fee.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
2 nights at 1,699.00 USD per night
Total for stay (including estimated taxes):
3,910.92 (USD)
For those of us that like Aman resorts, I find it very difficult to believe that they will be able to compete with Amanyara at those rates. The demographic appeal or market might be different () but I dont think it is that different. And at those prices, Amanyara wins hands down.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
For those of us that like Aman resorts, I find it very difficult to believe that they will be able to compete with Amanyara at those rates. The demographic appeal or market might be different () but I dont think it is that different. And at those prices, Amanyara wins hands down.
I agree that it will not compete with Amanyara.

I suspect that rates at Dorado Beach will eventually be quite a bit lower than these opening rates. Phulay Bay also opened with high rack rates and strict cancellation policies.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rates have already dropped, but rates are "normal" for puerto rico

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
"spa fee."
$75 to use the spa facilities if you do not have a treatment is just adding insult to injury.
have either of you seen crowded spas?

$75x2=$150 (before tax?)

it is resort fee + 9% tax, thats it >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
9% tax
$95 resort fee + 9% tax = $103.55
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
It also makes me wonder what other fees might be hidden by the resort, like the "spa fee." I went to see if I could find the spa fee on their spa menu or spa frequently asked questions page or on their spa information page and there is no mention of the fee.
so site still unfinished
RC orlando site for example gives spa fee
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:22 am

rates have already dropped, but rates are "normal" for puerto rico
Normal for Puerto Rico? Or normal for comparable Caribbean resorts?

For my dates (end Feb), rates have not dropped over the past few months.

I do see rates later in the year (low season?) for half of the Feb rate.

I don't have a problem with the Spa fee...

In the end, I agree with MfT on the resort fee as well. Roll everything up (don't itemize), look at the daily cost, decide if it meets your cost/value criteria, book or don't book.

In our case, $2K/night for a two night stay did not make sense (the fact that we want to be closer to Old San Juan on our first trip here factored in to our decision as well).

Any feedback from this group on El Convento? http://www.elconvento.com/
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Normal for Puerto Rico? Or normal for comparable Caribbean resorts?

For my dates (end Feb), rates have not dropped over the past few months.
puerto rico (no supply and "within" US) and NOT caribbean (plenty of supply)
although property itself (excl RC residences and non-RC residences) is not large

rates were originally $1K low season and $2K high season, and there are (older) posts quoting

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 8, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:33 am

Yep. But this spa is spread out over 5 acres and the resort has 115 rooms. I highly doubt the reason they are charging this fee is because they are worried the spa will get crowded.

it is resort fee + 9% tax, thats it >
Oh, I see, the $95 is added to the room rate and then the whole thing is taxed at 9%. That corresponds with the final cost I see on the website.

Sort of debunks the whole 'resort fees are not taxed' theory since this resort fee is taxed.

I guess since the resort is not adding a 10% service charge (which I honestly would have expected they would), I would just treat the $95 as such and then not tip anyone. Problem solved.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:39 am

Within the region, what would be seen as comparable properties?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some previous rates >

Originally Posted by 747
High Season - $1,900/night
Low Season - $1,200/night
i have to assume the rates loaded so far are rack (only) as theyre extremely high
Originally Posted by vincentb89
july 2013 : 959 USD for Ocean Reserve
115 rooms
i was curious about your experiences at properties with complimentary spa
pretty sure RC dorado spa is open to public, and there are residences like hualalai

i just noticed watermill at dorado has adult pool (also open to public, at fee)
presumably at bottom - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dorado...+Rico&t=h&z=19

Originally Posted by nba1017
Within the region, what would be seen as comparable properties?
isnt that mostly (especially in this forum, and in caribbean) a corporate finance concept?
in other words, comparable in what way?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 8, 2013 at 10:29 am
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 am

Sorry Kage, I meant comparable in terms of rates--not necessarily luxury standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.