Reload this Page >

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Enjoying following along from The Brando. Thanks for the updates MacMyDay! When planning our 10th Anniversary trip I was struggling between Laucala and here, so it's fun to "experience" both at the same time. It looks wonderful. Can't get enough of luxury beach vacations - mine or otherwise
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Epicura
Quick reply regarding the beaches. I was there in November 2015 and had absolutely NO issue with the beach. We were in a Seagrass villa (these are recommended if you want a private beach in front of your villa) and the beach right in front was more than nice enough. Yes there are shelves but I walked barefoot everyday. The sand is less soft than some Caribbean beaches (Turks & Caicos, Anguilla, ... with amazing sand like talk powder). For me the beach was certainly not an issue, let alone a reason for not getting back. Au contraire, with these updates from Mac I can't wait to get back.
To be clear, the beach being as it is does not bother me as much as I may have made out, it was more an in depth response to a question. If I just wrote a review on this I would have barely mentioned it. The only thing that bothers me is the private beach outside of our villa, as that is truly uncomfortable to walk on barefoot and I think you'd need feet made of coconuts for it not to bother you. In light of your and Baghoarders comments, I decided to ask management why the beach is as it is, in case it is seasonal. They confirmed that cyclone is the reason for it. They mentioned that upon reopening in June/July they've had to constantly relay the sand, but within a few days it's back to what it was due to the unrest of the ocean from all the weather. From previous history of this happening in 2010, they expect it to be back to normal in a few months.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks MacMyDay for your entertaining & informative reviews , etcetera

Glad to know about the beach .
When does the management reckon the beaches be at their best ( bar another storm ) & weather might be coolest ?
19 C in suite is good , can it get down to 16 C ? - that would be ideal
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:20 am

See next post
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
north's food benefits from wilderness safaris / africa
laucala may be able to improve dramatically over time

uggboy, price does not vary by location
there are only 2 'special' villas and 1 top villa
value is infinitely better than regular hotels

Pausanias, then it is a case of the top private islands etc there not having great beaches

Baghoarder described great villa dining experience earlier in thread (and other threads?)

MacMyDay, thanks again, enjoy. curious what you think of overwater villa, peninsula villa, hilltop villa, if you see them.

is most of laucala's coast (way away from villas) not really beach?
size is insane : 3000+ acres / 1200+ hectares / 12+ square km
Oh God, I lost my entire reply . Had to re log in and my entire post is gone. Will redo later today and edit this post.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:16 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Don't tease me.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
Plateau villas have much less outdoor space IIRC and it's all decked because of the elevated location. But they told me they allow plateau villa guests to use the private beaches of unoccupied plantation villas.

I found the outdoor space in the Seagrass villas felt more enclosed because of the vegetation. Personally if (when!) I return I will take a 2 bedroom Plantation villa again. Location and size plus the garden were all perfectly suited to our needs.

We were asked every morning by the chef what we felt like eating that day. They bent over backwards to make the food options appealing for our children in particular. If I had to criticize one aspect of the F&B offering, it was that the premium cellar was "extra" and the standard (included) offerings were not particularly interesting. Of course this may have changed since 2012, but at these prices I was surprised to see that distinction. But having said that, we sampled freely from the premium list on several evenings and our TOTAL bill for extras on departure was F$94. They comped virtually everything, including all the extra spa visits.

What Epicura said. It is not a show-offy resort at all.

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
It's a 2 man submarine, with the first compartment being the driver, so you just sit back and relax. Definitely give it a try.

We're in a Plantation villa. When booking I asked if we could swap between a Plateau villa and Plantation, as we often like trying out different rooms during holiday. However now we're here and we're right next to the restaurants/bars, we'll stay where we are for the convenience. I do want to go have a look around Wai, their overwater villa, when we get a chance.

As Baghoarder has said above, the villas are absolutely massive and just keep on going and going with the facilities. There are, of course, things I would change and then things I wish ever resort had. They vary in space mostly due to the outside areas, so are between 2000sqm to 4500sqm. I would however guess that the indoor space is smaller than the North Island villas, yet only marginally. As it has been raining so much, we've spent most of the time in either the living room or the lounge area within the bedroom, both which contain mini bars, really comfy seating areas, and in the case of the bedroom views onto the ocean. Tech isn't great, although I'm rather fond of their in-room advertising where the TVs flick through things to do in Laucala. A really nice touch, seeing that everything excluding the spa is in fact free, so you don't feel they're after your money.

The food has really surprised me. There are 4 restaurants, although you could say 5 as they offer teppanyaki by the Seagrass Lounge in an intimate setting. The food is only changed daily at the Plantation House, otherwise it is the same menu each day at the other restaurants. However that is not a bad thing at all, as I've found the food to be really, really good. I'd still choose North or Iniala, as the concept is more pro-active (what can we do for you today/tomorrow/entire week?) vs Laucala's of menu's and trying their best to do something you ask for. There's also an inconsistency in the food, in that I've ordered some items twice, including on the same day, and they came out completely different each time, albeit still delicious.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Don't tease me.
I am not , bhrubin .
Ours , in cars too , temps are set at 16 C . Most hotels including MO , FS , etcetera it gets to perhaps only 18 .
When Kevin B was at Wana , he had extra AC brought in for us . Our tent already had the new units so this was on top of decent AC .

Hoping it's possible here too .
Spring , fall & possibly winter are best travel periods for me

QUOTE=Epicura;27149427] ..
I lost my entire reply . Had to re log in and my entire post is gone. Will redo later today and edit ..[/QUOTE]

Thought only me , that's why my posts are brief !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 1, 2016 at 1:48 am
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:01 am

When does the management reckon the beaches be at their best ( bar another storm ) & weather might be coolest ?
Christ, FlyerEC, are you trying to kill me!? I already lost 3 toes going down to 19C. ;-) Guess what? It is your lucky day. 16C is the lowest it will go.

April -> August is meant to be peak/dry season (hence why I booked to come specifically on this date, as I booked this almost a year ago), but they were commenting on how bad the weather has been in August. It's swapped between heavy downfall and light drizzle for the last 36 hours, even though there was no forecast at all for it. It seems El Nino/Global warming/fairies/all of the above has screwed the weather up, as I was told that during their rainy season they had 4 months without any rain at all and perfect weather every single day, so really I think the answer at the moment is "your guess is as good as mine".

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
We were asked every morning by the chef what we felt like eating that day. They bent over backwards to make the food options appealing for our children in particular. If I had to criticize one aspect of the F&B offering, it was that the premium cellar was "extra" and the standard (included) offerings were not particularly interesting. Of course this may have changed since 2012, but at these prices I was surprised to see that distinction. But having said that, we sampled freely from the premium list on several evenings and our TOTAL bill for extras on departure was F$94. They comped virtually everything, including all the extra spa visits.
The GM is ex-Seychelles, so we've had many a good discussion about North and Fregate, to which I mentioned the chef visiting us every day. They said they could have the chef come talk to us daily, but he's currently on holiday and is not back until we leave. Interestingly, on North Island the chef was away during a few nights of our stay there and it resulted in a similar situation of any unique food choices we wanted not being able to be prepared until he was back. My experience in cooking closely resembles a badgers knowledge of physics, but I would have thought it would still be possible to do this without the reliance on a single person - 2 of the highest regarded resorts in the world seem to think otherwise and I'd assume they're slightly better informed than I am.

I don't drink, but have taken photos of all the menus so people can review them if they wanted.

This answering feedback malarky is way better than writing a review, as I get feedback on my feedback as I'm going along to work out things I'm missing out on!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:54 am

Mac, ask for Christopher (I am not entirely sure about the name, sorry!). He is Austrian and sous-chef, I think he is in charge if Anthony is on leave. He also came over from Seychelles with GM (ex Raffles). Same for sous-chef's girlfriend, Victoria (sure about her name!), who works as a guest manager/concierge. They all are lovely and very warm people!

Please say hi from me and my husband (Bart & Inne from Belgium)!

I will try to elaborate more later. Not enough time now. Tip for people like me, losing replies due to passed log in: just do a copy/paste before hitting the submit button. Usually works in case the entire reply got lost, but I sometimes forget to do so. Like this morning
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Ours , in cars too , temps are set at 16 C !
OMG! That's cold! I have 22 at my car and (like 99% og German people) no AC at home. Guess you would die I had to ask at hotels in the past to heat my room properly....
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

weather can be one reason to travel on shorter notice

sometimes can hit back button and get back to post
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:58 am

Oh dear MacMyDay , hope you ' re alive & not losing any more toes
Am pleased to know that we will be comfortable enough in the villa
We do want you to enjoy your hols !

How was the flight over from SYD ?
Wondering if we should try Fiji . Service ? .. the seats should be wide enough even if not like SQ ..
Just that after a wonderful stay , one would like to ease back into the " world " with an airline which takes pampering seriously

Really appreciate your photos & posts .
Please let us know how you find the other parts of the property , submarine excursions , etcetera . Do you find it claustrophobic ?

offerendum , am I glad German cars allow a range of temperatures to low of 16 .
l keep encountering record heat waves - past 2 years in England when I said I wouldn't return June / July & somehow had to again last year . Due to unforeseen circumstances , & probably because I said that " I would never return in summer " . Had to swallow my words .. Some places had no AC & at others the AC could not cope & broke down
And next year there ' s a wedding in July !!
( How is Coworth Park these days ? )

This year , I avoided England / EU in June & instead , I get the heat wave in NYC .. Just can ' t seem to avoid these record breaking days / weeks .

So I thought I had better check for Laucala since one would assume it's more warm than cool there .
Will really like to visit within the next 12 months . Plus we have common ground with the Fijians with rugby :-:

Epicura , I didn't lose this one ! Learnt to put ' long ' ones in draft too .
Kage , will need another tutorial from you if it does happen again , thanks in advance

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 1, 2016 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
outdoor space in the Seagrass villas felt more enclosed because of the vegetation.
in general, many (including beachfront) do this for privacy, interesting tradeoff

suite
it's nice that places like laucala do not do rooms/suites at all
compared to expensive luxury chain hotels in cities/resorts

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 4, 2016 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Member

I will be flying Fiji, outbound 19 Sept. Not much choice out of SFO where one gets routed through LAX to pick up the NAN-bound long haul. Will report back here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.